renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hottop Profiles and Discussion
RobertL
Here are my second and third roast since I started data logging with the Phidget. First roast is a Colombian that I bought from Mill City last year and have stored in vacuum sealed bags. The second is a PNG that I recently bought from Happy Mug. I'm curious what you guys think about my time from the end of drying until first crack. I feel like that portion of the roast could be shorter but I'm not sure if the Hottop is capable. I'm curious what other Hottop users profiles look like so post away and let's get some discussion going.
RobertL attached the following images:
png_waghi_kunjin_05-05-16.png colombia_santa_barbara_estate_05-05-16.png

alext

RobertL wrote:

Here are my second and third roast since I started data logging with the Phidget. First roast is a Colombian that I bought from Mill City last year and have stored in vacuum sealed bags. The second is a PNG that I recently bought from Happy Mug. I'm curious what you guys think about my time from the end of drying until first crack. I feel like that portion of the roast could be shorter but I'm not sure if the Hottop is capable. I'm curious what other Hottop users profiles look like so post away and let's get some discussion going.

I have been experimenting with slowing down the phase DE->FC, and that seems to produce better results for me. When I was running through this at max or almost full power, I found most roasts tasted "dry" for lack of a better word.

I took the experiment a step further this weekend, so I am not sure how it will taste yet but the profile is attached.
alext attached the following image:
yemen_tracable_aa_16-05-07_1821.png

RobertL
I can definitely see the difference when looking at profiles with the new heating element. That's next on my list of upgrades.

alext
Forgot to mention, that is 200g of coffee though. Running flat out it looks like older roasts got to FC a little more than 8 mins. How much are you roasting at a time?

RobertL
I have experimented with charge weights and I think 210 grams is the sweet spot. For some reason the day I roasted the two batches above I went with 228 grams. With 200 grams I could probably hit 1C in 8 minutes but I would have to charge around 400f.

alext
How is your coffee tasting and what are you tring to achive by shortening the DE->FC phase?

I am modeling my profiles after the idea in this post.
http://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com/2015/10/natural-roasts.html

This last expirment I tried to slow it down a bit more in the DE->FC phase but I am still a bit above the natural log curve in that section (not intentional). I roasted 3 coffees with the same alarm file, the Yemeni which the profile I posted above, a Peruvian which I have been expirmenting for the past several weeks and a Kenyan which is new to me. The Peruvian I know the best and this week's vs last week's, the coffee is a bit sweeter and differentiation between flavors is clearer. My best roast with it so far. I'll try the Yemen tomorrow which is also a coffee I know pretty well now.

This post lead me to believe that I needed to slow down DE->FC in the first place.
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php/topic,3679.0.html

...if a slow ramp to the first crack is taken, with a healthy pause in the range of 350-375?F, there will be more caramelization and less Maillard and Strecker products. This results in a sweeter roast.

RobertL

alext wrote:

How is your coffee tasting and what are you tring to achive by shortening the DE->FC phase?
]

I thought shortening the phase from DE to 1C would bring out more sweetness. Am I wrong? I thought stretching this phase brought out more savory flavors. Can't remember where is read this.

alext
I thought shortening the phase from DE to 1C would bring out more sweetness. Am I wrong? I thought stretching this phase brought out more savory flavors. Can't remember where is read this.[/quote]

Well that does seem contrary to what is quoted above but I do not know.

In this past week's experience, the Peruvian benefited from slowing DE->FC down. It is a bit sweeter and flavors are more well defined.

On the other hand the Yemeni is not as good with the slower DE->FC. This coffee has lost some of its deeper, darker tastes that balanced the fruity top notes so well before.

If I were to speculate: Peruvian is a washed coffee and has plenty of "coffee" flavors so the slower DE->FC helps to bring out the other flavors in the coffee that would otherwise be overpowered by the coffee flavors. While the Yemeni is a dry process and has a lot of fruit naturally. The previous roast that was so good had a faster DE->FC and that brought out those darker "coffee" flavors that balanced the fruit better.

But really I am not confident in this conclusion. I'll continue to experiment over the next few weeks.
Edited by JackH on 05/13/2016 3:34 AM

RobertL
Since starting this thread I've been reading up on roast profiling and experimenting. There are a few threads over at Home Barista I recommend reading. Both are related to the book The Coffee Roasters Companion. One is on ratios and the other is on the flick. I read the book when it first came out but it was a borrowed copy. I plan on buying myself a copy soon. I bought a copy of Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee by Rob Hoos. I started reading it last night but didn't finish, so far it's very informative. Below is my best profile yet which falls into the commandments from the Coffee Roasters Companion declining RoR, no flick and 20% development phase. Below are the links to the threads I mentioned.

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/development-time-as-ratio-of-roast-time-by-scott-rao-t30830.html

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/scott-rao-on-flick-t37175.html
RobertL attached the following image:
image_7.png

Charbucks
RobertL, how are you able to get your Beans to almost 400 degrees in a HotTop?? Ever since I upgraded my HT to the latest 2k+ USB version with the new element, I can't ever get my beans much past 375. I'd be curious to see how you do that? If I roasted at 90% for maybe 20 minutes I could get there, but not during the course of a normal roast.

RobertL
Charbucks, I have aftermarket Omega probes through the back wall of my B2-K. I think that is the difference in my temps vs the temps you're seeing.

Charbucks
Is there a way to replace the HT probes with the aftermarket ones and have it feed that data to the HT computer?

Jump to Forum: