Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Greetings...From North Tulsa...
LtHaus
Well first I want to thank the academy for allowing ..

Oh sorry...wrong thread...

Hey..Howdy!!

I'm new.

I'm a Coffee Addict...

I have a fully plumbed, Filtered and drained Single Group Laranzato on my counter.....

I have this bean habit and I started doing some math.......

I live in Oklahoma, North of Tulsa, called Owasso.

Now I'm wanting to think strongly about home roasting. My problem is I can't do anything in a small, starter like fashion.. So I'm looking at small commercial roasters.
Enough about me...... someone please tell me its really not worth it.....

coffee drink

btreichel
As someone who has had a single group plumbed into his kitchen, I would encourage you to start somewhat smaller and learn. Please ignore the thread where I mentioned I'm waiting for my TJ-066. It's taken around 15 years for me to achieve this level of what Gin would call the decent into sanity.

BTW Gin, when are you ordering yours?

LtHaus
in a strange twist of fate... I was called last night by a friend of a friend... She knew I was looking for a roaster... He has one in storage... Best part... its brand new... in storage for a few years.. He can't even remember what it is... The best he can tell me is its a small commercial roaster AND a product bagger of some flavor. its in a town between here and OKC and since I have a trip to OKC on Friday, I'm going to meet someone to see whats hiding behind door number 2.. Having it in storage for so many years, he just wants to unload it. I'll get good pictures and post here.. Perhaps someone can help me identify it...

ginny
Hey LT...

it's for sure worth it, without question worth it! you will be thrilled you have finally decided to roast yourself. lots of choices for you on roasters.

I would agree with Ben on size and start with a small commercial roaster but that means different things to different people.

would ask if you are going to be roasting for yourself and family only.

sounds like you may get a sweet deal just remember that being in storage does not mean protected in storage - I have seen lots of electronic and other expensive equipment ridden with pack rat poop/mouse shit and chewed wiring...

just look carefully and count the poop pellets and discount 100 bucks per piece...

if it has been stored properly you most likely will win big time.

if it has only been stored a few years it most likely will have a name on it but post pics regardless.

then when you buy it for cheap we can throw eggs on you!!!

welcome LT,

ginny

roar

ginny
Ben,

not yet and going to sell my almost new Quest 3 and my Hot Top so I can have some extra cash for other necessities like greens???!

hahahahaha,

ginny

will order next mionth

ginny
LT,

you mentioned looking at or looked at small commercial machines, which ones?

-g

LtHaus
mill city... US roasters, SF.. my budget...has well out paced my wallet..

I was considering a ToasterOven.. The New HotTop has my eye.. But to answer your question, I really want to get out of IT and into a Coffee Shop. The ones I like most are the ones that roast their own beans.

My thought would be to get 10-20 People that know what a Coffee Snob I am to 'pre-pay' 100$ for a years worth of beans. one bag per month. They get a deal, I get instant customer and incentive to learn and grow my talent.

I have my eye on a 2# sonofresco, used that i'm looking for more information on. I really like the idea of a 1-1.5k drum roaster.

Nothing has been set in stone or spent.... i'm fact finding as much as I can and developing a pseudo business plan in my head. Next stop is to the Local city office and find out what restrictions if any exist for my crazy idea...

:)

ginny
see LT,

I knew this already, no one wants to spill the whole bucket of beans.

your roaster choice sounds about right to start.

your idea of 100 bucks a pop with 20 peeps needs to grow for your "new budget."

you are slowly dropping into coffee hell...

you go guy...

ginny

roar

as far as your city goes it depends on what you plan to tell them - why not roast at home to start since you will most likely not be a problem for your neighbors unless you live in a condo or apartment in the city...

if you go to the city now and tell all they will watch you forever. they like their revenue streams... plus most do not know what to do with coffee.

got a garage? roast in it with a cheapo roaster to get your feet wet. you may decide you hate roasting coffee.

-g

Jump to Forum: