Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

02/27/2021 9:50 AM
Questions are best asked in the forum. The posts will last longer, and will be seen the most by members. After a few more posts in the Shoutbox, the post you made will no longer be seen.... maybe you could also introduce yourself and share a little.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

02/17/2021 1:47 AM
OldMan41, depends what is "a pot"... usually is more accurate to specify the brew ratio, instead grams of coffee. The most usual is 1:15, thus 40 grams for 600 ml of water. If the 100 grams are for one liter pot, then we are talking about 1:10 ratio.

Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,040
Newest Member: Thelsegse
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What is a Nordic-style roast?
CharcoalRoaster
Was reading an article about a coffee shop in St. Louis that I used to frequent while at the seminary (Sump) published on Sprudge's website. He's opening a second location in Nashville and in discussing equipment choices there was mention of his falling in love with "Nordic-style roasts."

I'm unfamiliar with this term re: SO roasting. Anyone familiar? Enlighten me...cross fingers
snwcmpr
SO = Single origin, as in only one type of bean, not a blend. (?)
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
hankua
https://www.timwendelboe.no
Had a neighbor bring back a bag from Oslo, and when you drop some in a hand grinder, or test the roast color it's roasted very light. But there were no obvious underdeveloped notes.

The Nortic profile is probably the most difficult profile to execute on a drum roaster (Wendelboe uses a relatively small Probat). It could be the smaller bean mass in our home roasters can't replicate a 12K for example. According to my local artisan roaster underdeveloped Nortic style commercial coffee is common.
JETROASTER

hankua wrote:

<SNIP> According to my local artisan roaster underdeveloped Nortic style commercial coffee is common.

I would tend to agree. There's a lot of it out there, much of it underdeveloped.
Equally disturbing is how it has taken over the world of espresso. If it's a hipster coffee shop, it's likely Nordic. Fully developed it makes for a great pour-over. I still have no idea how, or why it has made it's way into the espresso machines.

Cheers, Scott
CharcoalRoaster
lol snwcmpr I know was SO means!

I was referring to a Nortic Roast on SO beans. It is a SUUUUUPER hipster coffee shop so that makes sense. I checked out the wendelboe site but am still unsure the difference between a traditional roast profile and a Nortic one? Is it simply a super light roast?
JETROASTER
Correct, a super light roast. So, the issue is making sure it's not grassy or under-developed.
For air-roasting, (perhaps over simplified a bit) , it's just a stretch out.
For drum roasters, I would imagine it's not easy to anticipate.
Cheers, Scott
snwcmpr
Ok, I now see I misread the question. And now I also see how you meant it.
cool
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
coffeeroastersclub
You need to roast longer than usual for the very light roast not to taste grassy. I did it with my air roaster, when I was doing a Turkish, something like a 30 minute roast up to the temp of 405 if I can recall. Just after start of 1st crack. It really was no big deal with the air roaster, but with a drum I think it would be a bit more difficult.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
CharcoalRoaster
Now I'm curious... Anyone ever tried this with a Genecafe? I just ordered an Ibrik and will roast a Turkish with a super long roast to try it.
JETROASTER
So then; Nordic vs. Turkish roast. Both light, but not the same.
I happen to like them both.

What has been common for Turkish is a relatively inexpensive Brazil, roasted long and light for what some of us might consider "baked-out".

Nordic strives to hit that point just past under-developed. Light enough to preserve the most desirable traits, but not so long as to destroy them.

Using a nicely done Nordic in an Ibrik would still make a lousy cup of Turkish.
My 2 centavos.
Cheers, Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 06/18/2016 8:28 AM
JackH
So it is a long, slow ramp to 1C then dump? That is what I am reading from the Google search sources.

I did plenty of those when I was learning..
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
coffeeroastersclub
Jack, if you were interested in the Turkish roast I started a thread on it here: http://forum.home...post_59357

In particular, here is the post:

For anyone interested I just got done roasting a blend for the Beko. It was 7 parts Sulawesi Toraja, 2 parts Yemen Matari, and 1 part Java Robusta. 4 minutes to 300 degrees F, then 31 minutes to 385 degrees F (cinnamon roast). I ground it at the tightest setting in my Zassenhaus hand grinder. The color and fineness of my roast was indistinguishable from the Turkish Coffee in a can that was provided with my Beko. Although I am supposed to allow the coffee to rest for 16 hours I had a cup from the Beko. With the exclusion of more foam on the coffee I could not tell any difference from what I got with the Beko. It even smelled the same.

After letting it rest for a day it will likely taste even better.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
Jump to Forum: