Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/26/2021 1:55 AM
Welcome, Ukwoody, liamsmith, timbarnes, SydHagen and GISpoIRiS !

10/25/2021 3:16 PM
MendoEB, Welcome to HRO! Welcome

10/21/2021 2:41 AM
muckymuck, mckinleyharris and williamjonex welcome cup

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 24

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,377
Newest Member: Ukwoody

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fixing TC4 Artisan thermocouple arduino library
adm746
The thermocouple library associated with TC4 and artisan has depreciated code involving PROGMEM. After avr 1.6 all PROGMEM vars must be const. I have looked and cannot find an updated library that fixes this issue. Does anyone have a link or working set of files?
greencardigan
Hi,

I don't think the thermocouple library has been updated for a long time.

Is there a problem compiling and running the current library? I haven't had any issues but maybe I'm not using the latest Arduino software version.
yamhill
Does anyone have an answer to this? I have a new use for my TC4 and just installed the current arduino ide, and hit seemingly the same error:

C:\..\Arduino\libraries\thermocouple/thermocouple.h:155:27: error: variable 'range_dir' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'

static PROGMEM PFLOAT range_dir[2][2];

Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.
greencardigan
I still haven't had this issue, however I'm probably not using the latest IDE version. For the record, what version are you having the error with? And does it work on a previous version?

Maybe JimG has some info re this?
BenKeith
Not sure of the difference between artisan and the RoastLogger I run but I've run IDE 1.6.12 on one of my TC4's and reads the thermocouples just fine. I've also run aArtisanQ_PID 6.2 with the Android Bluetooth app and had no problem reading the thermocouples.
Now, the TC4 I mainly use on my regular roaster is the IDE right after they made that big change, something like 1.6.3 and the updated programs to run with that. I have made no updates or changes to that one since those changes came about a year or so ago. That one is dialed in so precise, I try not taking any chances on changing anything with updates unless it becomes absolutely necessary. It even has a dedicated laptop that I only use to run RoastLogger on. To try and help ensure nothing happens to that setup.
Mustang967

yamhill wrote:

Does anyone have an answer to this? I have a new use for my TC4 and just installed the current arduino ide, and hit seemingly the same error:

C:\..\Arduino\libraries\thermocouple/thermocouple.h:155:27: error: variable 'range_dir' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'

Have you looked to see if you are possibly using the incorrect library for the thermocouple? I know there are several and some use the same name of thermocouple.h but are not the same file. I'll look tomorrow to see what version I'm using.
JackH
Checking the libraries is a very good idea. Also make sure there are no old libraries files hanging around to confuse the compiler.

I also agree to drop back a version. I think the Arduino people have archived versions of their IDE.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Mustang967

yamhill wrote:

I zipped up my thermocouple folder and attached it, try removing yours and see if mine works.

Another thing that seems strange is that the error has the forward slash after the thermocouple folder. If using my zipped library doesn't work I'd say try deleting the arduino IDE and reinstalling. Maybe there is some issue with the install. Another thought is if you didn't before try using the IDE to add the library.

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/screen_shot_2017-01-10_at_113552_am.png

Let us know!!

Royce
Mustang967 attached the following file:
thermocouple.zip [8.87kB / 348 Downloads]
Mustang967 attached the following image:
screen_shot_2017-01-10_at_113552_am.png
yamhill
Thanks all for your help and advice. It's working now.

I had some time late last night to work on this. I uninstalled the IDE, uninstalled the executables, and I reinstalled everything. Unfortunately this means I don't know the root cause of my earlier problems. I have a suspicion like mustang967 that it was the libraries. I went to github and downloaded everything and pulled in the trunk for the Arduino. It all compiled without problem or warning and Artisan ran fine.

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.
Mustang967

yamhill wrote:

Thanks all for your help and advice. It's working now.

I had some time late last night to work on this. I uninstalled the IDE, uninstalled the executables, and I reinstalled everything. Unfortunately this means I don't know the root cause of my earlier problems. I have a suspicion like mustang967 that it was the libraries. I went to github and downloaded everything and pulled in the trunk for the Arduino. It all compiled without problem or warning and Artisan ran fine.

John

Fantastic! So glad to hear that its working now. Have fun!!

Royce
Jump to Forum: