Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Loving my Bullet R1!
djmsalem
I've put 20 pounds of beans through my Bullet in the six weeks since I received it and I am here to tell you that it is worth every penny I paid and every day I waited for it -- and I waited 16 months.

I've been roasting for 14 years. I have owned FreshRoast, IRoast, Gene,, Behmot and Quest roasters -- I still have the Gene and Quest -- and the Bullet is by far the best I've had.

I occasionally roast two pounds at a time, but usually one. I sometimes use the included Roast Time software but most often go by sight, smell and sound. Even so, and with a ton still to learn, I am drinking the best espresso I've ever made.

It's not perfect. The cooling fan is very effective but noisy and it comes on when the beans are at 185C whether you're ready to cool or not. Makes it a little hard to hear second crack. And I need to be careful when I dump the beans or I'll lose a few.

But this is like dust on a diamond. The roasts are very even and the roaster is remarkably responsive to changes in power and fan speed. Roasts can be quick or extended as you like.

I take my roasts into second crack and have no trouble with smoke (I roast in the garage). Even roasting a pound at a time I see no more smoke than I did at a half-pound on my Quest or Gene; I don't know why.

In short, I am delighted with this roaster. My coffee is better than ever and my roasting sessions are as much as 80 percent shorter than when I was roasting half-pound batches.

I have no connection with the manufacturer and paid the introductory price.

allenb
This is great news! I was very curious as I'm sure many here are as to quality of roast and it sounds like it's more than capable of pulling off great roasts.

Hopefully the fan issue can be solved with a programming workaround or maybe a DIY means of switching it off till needed.

I think many were skeptical regarding the claims to batch size with a 120 volt feed but you're experience confirms it can pull it off. Nice!

Please keep us updated as you gain more experience with this roaster and others will most likely be putting their orders in.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

frachlitz
I an also very happy with the switch (looooong wait) from my HotTop to the Bullet.
At the moment I am experimenting with 500g to learn the roaster. Here is my two latest examples where I am struggling to mimimize the big ROR jump.
I am preloading at 170c drum (BMT probe at 160c). Starting with Fan at 4, Drum speed at 8 and Power at 7 (out of 9).

(Preheating is a little different on the bullet, you set the temp and the roaster then warms up, but only calls "Load beans" after I can see that the temp have leveled in the entire roaster)

It is a 500g Kenya SHG (Old crop).
frachlitz attached the following images:
image_48.jpeg image_49.jpeg

Alefroth
I've had mine for about a week and it took about 6 roasts before I got a cup that i thought tasted really good. I came from a Behmor, so wasn't familiar with RoR or dev time, so using the Bullet was a whole new experience. I'm really pleased with it so far.

Black Stripe Coffee

Alefroth wrote:

I've had mine for about a week and it took about 6 roasts before I got a cup that i thought tasted really good. I came from a Behmor, so wasn't familiar with RoR or dev time, so using the Bullet was a whole new experience. I'm really pleased with it so far.

I've been looking at this roaster for a while now and was super excited when they emailed me this morning to let me know they will be able to ship a roaster to me in Canada in October (estimated).

I too am currently roasting with the Behmor 1600+ which is great but I'm looking forward to being able to roast a larger quantity at a time and in less time than it takes to roast with the Behmor.

Did you add an exhaust vent to your unit or are you simply roasting outside or under an exhaust fan? I'm looking at roasting in my basement and would like to use the exhaust pipe option.
"Death Before Decaf"
LMWDP #515

Aillio Bullet R1, La Pavoni Professional, Rancilio Rocky, Technivorm Moccamaster, Hario Syphon

djmsalem
I roast in my garage, often with the door down. A one-pound roast on the Bullet gives much less smoke than two, half-pound roasts on my Gene and my results, even by my Zen method, have been wonderful.

I think you should vent your basement, even if it's a window and a fan, but for my purposes, roasting to the brink of second crack, smoke and aroma have been very manageable.

Alefroth

Black Stripe Coffee wrote:

Alefroth wrote:

I've been looking at this roaster for a while now and was super excited when they emailed me this morning to let me know they will be able to ship a roaster to me in Canada in October (estimated).

I too am currently roasting with the Behmor 1600+ which is great but I'm looking forward to being able to roast a larger quantity at a time and in less time than it takes to roast with the Behmor.

Did you add an exhaust vent to your unit or are you simply roasting outside or under an exhaust fan? I'm looking at roasting in my basement and would like to use the exhaust pipe option.

I roast in the garage and I had one of the exhaust adapters printed and ran exhaust hose to a vent I put in the garage wall. There isn't enough pressure to open the vent louvers, so I had to prop them open. Otherwise, considerable smoke would come into the garage.

I really like the control and capacity, but it's kind of hard to take a roast close to second crack without a long roast or a high development time ratio.

I don't think it's produced much better roasts than the Behmor, but maybe I was just really accustomed to how the Behmor roasts tasted after so many years.

Jump to Forum: