Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Help on flavouring notes and Roast level
texh
hello
im v.new to coffee roasting world and i havnt tried to roast even once.. i got a guy from whom ill get 5x 1 pound bags of diff origin beans.. i have decided to go with these after few days of research.. kindly tell me if my 5 choices are good and is there any origin i just get replacing the one im getting.. also for each origin please tell me briefly about flavour notes and what level to roast it to. also if anyone can what blends can i make with these my choices are :=>
-Colombian Supremo
-Ethipia Sidamo
-Guatemala SHB EP
-Sumatra Mandheling
-Nicaragua SHG EP Jinotega organic

ill use stovetop method.. no special equipment.. either skillet with whisk or wok with whisk
thanks!

Jan
Hello,

Here is some good notes on blending different coffee varieties:
http://legacy.swe...ending.php

Welcome to the obsession!
Janiswelcome2
Edited by JackH on 08/19/2016 5:25 PM

texh
this post is not regarding blends..
just need to know roast levels for each origin without blend,,
and what flavour notes to except for each

thanks

ginny
hey, no need to be rude to someone trying to help you, let keep things civil please.

ginny

Jan
Thankls Ginny. There are no perfect "cookie cutter" directions for roasting coffee. Every different method of roasting will give you different results with the same exact beans. Roasting GOOD coffee is WORK, it's art and magic as well as science and math. It is a lot like wine in the tasting and making, only it takes less time. And very important...just as with wine, the coffee roast/blend that I LOVE, you may hate and think tastes like skunk pee.

Next year's crop of the same coffee you have right now will roast and taste different than this year's, the same bags of beans in your hands now will roast differently six months from now because coffee beans are organic and subject to growing conditions, harvesting, process type and quality, humidity, storage, enzymes, age, etc.

You need to do the research and grow a database in your head as to what flavor "notes" sound good to you, what roast types sound good to you. EVERY KIND OF BEAN will need a different degree of roasting to bring out different flavors. Roast lot's of coffee and post-roast blend to develop your taste buds. Keep notes so you can repeat what you like and avoid what you don't.

Most home roasters try new coffees and different roasts forever, just to see if they can make even better coffee. I've been roasting on (and off) for over a decade, and I'm still experimenting.

Regards,
Janis

ginny
Jan,

thanks for the post and I agree. I started roasting two years before we started this crazy forum and I experiment every week when I roast. It simply depends on the bean and if is is new/old crop, aged or monsooned or???

plus I try different things that are against the law so to speak and have found wonderful coffees that I get for maybe 3 or 4 days of cafe cremas (read 2 shots of espresso per cafe crema) it is all worth it...

that is the joy in roasting Jan, you know that as a longtime roaster. there are zero rules that we apply...

thanks for joining the forum and for your participation.

ginny

roar

snwcmpr

texh wrote:

also if anyone can what blends can i make with these my choices are :=>
-Colombian Supremo
-Ethipia Sidamo
-Guatemala SHB EP
-Sumatra Mandheling
-Nicaragua SHG EP Jinotega organic

You did ask for blending suggestions.

Ken in NC
(Saying it in a most civil way)
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

btreichel

ginny wrote:

I started roasting two years before we started this crazy forum and I experiment every week when I roast.

ginny

roar

Just 2 years? Seemed longer than that. And yes, everyone is an experiment

ginny
Maybe 3 Ben I started in 2001 or 2002 I forget.

-g

ChicagoJohn
I'm new to this area of experimenting as well, and I truly appreciate all the guidance I received from others on this forum very early on. Everyone's interests and objectives are probably a little different, and for me the experience involved a lot of experimentation with coffees from different regions, variations in roasting profile and in brewing methods and parameter values. But now I find that I've found something I like and am intent on simply reproducing that experience every morning; no trivial pursuit considering all of the obstacles that arise. However, I imagine that perhaps without the context all of the trial-and-error exploration provided, I may not even now appreciate that which I am so intent upon reproducing every day, if that makes sense.

So to texh's fundamental question,I'd say I know where you're coming from in asking it because I wanted the same answer too at one point. But the journey that ensued from lack of a definitive prescriptive answer was, ironically, the answer. My advice would be to try roasting each of the five single origin samples you have, consider how you feel about the results; what you like and what you don't; and see what you can do to move more in the direction of what you like. BBQ grill
So many beans; so little time....

seedlings
1) use cast iron frying pan or Dutch oven
2) preheat to the same heat you would make pancakes, like 450F
3) add enough beans to cover the bottom of the pan
4) do not stop stirring!!!!!!
5) turn on stove vent
6) after 2 minutes of stirring, increase the heat one notch
7) stir, watch, smell, listen
8) at about the 5 minute mark the beans should be yellow to tan (increase heat if not)
9) at about the 10 minute mark beans should be brown and approaching first crack
10) first crack sounds like popcorn, but quieter, and aromas change
11) at about 15 minutes the beans should be dark brown, approaching 2nd crack and smoking
12) 2nd crack sounds is more like "rice crispies" cereal crackling in milk

Dump the beans into a metal colander and slosh them around to cool. Having a fan blowing will be helpful.

Roast each coffee until you hear the first snaps of 2nd crack, then cool. If the first roast goes much faster, then reduce the heat a little next time.

Have FUN!!!!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

seedlings
Oh, and if you post a picture of your first roast, and notes about how long it took to first crack, second crack, and what aromas you smelled, I'll tell you about what to expect in flavors. Deal??

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

texh
@ChicagoJohn : thanks bud.. you get me... ill sure follow your advice

@seedlings : thanks for a mini tutorial, i have read a few tutorials but 1-2 things from your tutorial are abit different so ill try it :)
and sure buddy ill post pics and we can move on from there :)

walt_in_hawaii
I've never done a stovetop roast, I've always used an air popper because it seemed the easiest to do with the smallest initial investment. The one I have was $7 at a Goodwill store and I'm still using it a year later, its worked fine for teaching me fundamentals. You look to have a nice assortment of beans there, good luck. Keep in mind that beans differ a lot; generally, the smaller ones seem to reach 1C (first crack) quicker. You need a way to keep them in motion constantly or they will roast unevenly. Since a roast generally (for me) lasts around 12 minutes or more, that's a lot of stirring for you, so be prepared. If you want consistent results I'd try to find a way to measure the temp of the beans as they roast. When starting out I just used a cheap IR thermometer, the kind you point to take a reading from any surface from feet to yards away. They are slow and prone to get weird readings (you might be measuring your pan temp rather than beans... what we'd call the ET or environment temp, rather than BT, bean temp). Degree of done ness is the biggest argument between roasters, as are bean origin. No matter what, don't stop until after you hit 1C. Right after 1C you'll still have some unpleasant 'grassy' flavors which some people hate, but in some beans its hardly noticeable. These unpleasant flavors fade as you take the beans darker, most roasts seem to get done somewhere between 1C and about 10 or 20 seconds into 2C (at least for me). Good luck and welcome to the madness, mark this date on your calendar as you'll either be cursing it or reveling in it as the day you first woke up.

aloha,
walt

walt_in_hawaii
Oh, I should clarify... the taste of the finished coffee seems to be somewhat unaffected by what you do to it BEFORE 1C (how fast the heat is ramped up). Although, as a rule I like to ramp mine up fairly slow and let the beans 'normalize' in temp and gradually dry in the roaster. I'm aiming for a bean that is as homogenous in temp from the inside through the outside as possible. However, the time interval from after the start of 1C to where you eventually terminate the roast and drop the beans is known as the 'development' time and GREATLY affects the flavor in your cup, this is where temp control is critical and will reflect in the quality of the flavors you get. Generally, you want to stretch out this time interval, but always have the temp steadily (but slowly) climbing. Ideally you want at least 3 minutes in this area. Keep in mind that coffee beans going through 1C is an exothermic process (the beans make their own heat and add it to your mix), so you can't just keep the same heat setting throughout the roast or you'll probably have a runaway. Back off the heat a little once you start to hear 1C going, and make a mental note what your clock says because your goal is to roast it 3 more minutes before dropping, at a minimum, so if you see your bean temp rising too quickly, you know you have too much heat. If you see your bean temp steady and not changing, this is called 'stalling' the roast and is not good (people complain of 'dulling' the flavors if you do this) but not super bad. If you intend to take it into 2C you don't really have to pay attention too much to the clock, the beans will let you know when they are done by their noise and you'll probably spend around 3 minutes in that area anyway. Remember that most beans have a distinct 1C, pause, then 2C, but some beans (like the Guatemalans I just did this weekend) don't... they had a 1C that went smoothly into 2C, no pause or break at all. But that's the exception, not the rule.

aloha,
walt

texh

seedlings wrote:

Oh, and if you post a picture of your first roast, and notes about how long it took to first crack, second crack, and what aromas you smelled, I'll tell you about what to expect in flavors. Deal??

CHAD

i posted my 1st roast details in a new post.. please have a look

http://forum.home...ad_id=5097

thanks
Edited by JackH on 09/10/2016 4:11 PM

Jump to Forum: