Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The downside
ChicagoJohn
I used to do a lot of traveling and enjoyed stopping by several shops at my main destination for morning coffee; a Tim Horton;s, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, and even McDonnalds.. I guess I wasn't surprised when I dumped out my last cup of McDonnalds in their parking lot after one undrinkable sip, but that was followed by the demise of Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks and Tim Horton's The only barely drinkable coffee I've been able to get on the road was at a Starbucks on the Ohio turnpike when after inquiring I found out they had a light roast pour-over. That was OK but by no means great.

I thought I was making progress over these past months expanding my horizons when all along I was just paint myself into a corner.: But it's a pretty nice corner. BBQ grill
So many beans; so little time....

btreichel
And don't get started with good tea or you will ruin that as a backup caffeine source also. I can still drink bad tea since I tell myself I don't know any better, but then I can also suppress the gag reflex on Mc's coffee, so ....

turtle
Friday I had my first cup outside of my home in 5 years.

Took our R in for an oil change and while walking around stumbled upon a coffee house I did not know existed.

Went in and asked if they roast or source and from who.

They buy from the local roaster I get my green from so I had a double.

VERY nice pull. Perfect crema. Clean taste. It will be a regular stop when we have the cars serviced.

I gotta get out more often as there are some nice coffee shops here in town.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

greencardigan
McDonalds over here (Australia) actually do a surprisingly drinkable coffee these days.

threwitallaway
I just gotta weigh in here.

What about when you go to a private home and they serve you coffee? Its usually a looooooooooooong ago pre-ground big name canned coffee (and I use the term 'coffee' loosely here). Do you feign drinking it? Do you take a couple sips before leaving it to cool off?

I usually try to not offend by drinking a bit while hot, once it cools, look out.

What do some of you do in this situation?

seedlings
Yes! They say, "we know you really like coffee," then smile with eyebrows raised to watch you drink it approvingly.

I ask if they have flavored creamer...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

threwitallaway
LOL seedlings! Yes, my experience is sometimes,

Host: "I know my coffee isn't as good as what you're probably used to..."

Me: "Oh, what you have is fine, I'm not picky, believe me! (huge lie)"

Host: "Great! what do you take in it?"

Me: "Just black" (I'll add my tears of remorse to the cup for accepting it later)

turtle

threwitallaway wrote:

I just gotta weigh in here.

When visiting friends and "dinner/food" is NOT in the cards I bring: A thermal carafe of freshly brewed coffee.

When visiting friends and "dinner/food" IS in the cards I bring: Dripper/filters, beans, hand grinder, carafe and make it there. I will typically grind enough for their "breakfast brew" as a bonus

If I am "ambushed" and asked, "Coffee?" I will politely refuse or retort "Tea?" or "Hot Chocolate?" or "Scotch?".

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

luma
My solution is simple: I'll drink darn near any swill so long as it's black and caffeinated. When I can arrange it, I'll enjoy a good coffee, when I can't... well even bad coffee is better than no coffee in my book.

JETROASTER
Caffeine is essential. In a pinch, I do what I gotta do.
**FULL DISCLOSURE**I actually have a thing for sampling various instant coffees. There it is ...I said it.

Bottoms up. -Scott

ChicagoJohn

threwitallaway wrote:

What do some of you do in this situation?

If I were to be invited to someone's home for dinner and they offered coffee, I would decline based upon an inability to tolerate caffeine that late in the afternoon. If offered decaf, I would decline due to possible trace amounts of dichloromethane, a suspect human carcinogen.

This situation is increasingly unlikely, however. The more of a coffee snob I've become, the fewer friends I have: It pretty much takes care of itself.

Jan
Anytime after lunchtime I just tell them "no thank you, I get bad heartburn from coffee or tea this late in the day". Before noon, I ask for water because I'm as much of a tea snob as I am a coffee snobthumbdown

Jan

ChicagoJohn

Jan wrote:

Anytime after lunchtime I just tell them "no thank you, I get bad heartburn from coffee or tea this late in the day". Before noon, I ask for water because I'm as much of a tea snob as I am a coffee snobthumbdown

Jan

But when you ask for water, my money would be that you insist on Perrier. Because if you're like me, not only are you a coffee snob and a tea snob, but you're a water snob too. rockon

Jan
Actually, no...I drink tap water all the time. Where I live the well water is delicious, cold & clean. I use a water softener, but the water makes great tea & coffee. The only black coffee I can drink is the coffee I make at home.coffee drink

Jump to Forum: