Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello! my first post and my first Roaster
DaveinKaty
My Dad started roasting coffee maybe 15 years ago with an iRoast, and he also had some kind of drum roaster, but I don't know what happened to it since he passed away 8 years ago. We kind of laughed at his hobby, until we kind of got used to the really good freshly roasted coffee. He got me an iRoast 2 for Christmas gosh maybe ten years ago, which I'm still using 2-3 times a month. I dropped the top onto the tile floor a few months ago, cracking it. It still works but chaff leaks out and ends up all over the place, which displeases my wife. So in my quest to find a new roaster, I ended up here.

I've enjoyed the process and results of my own coffee roasting, and still feel a connection with my Dad as a result. I'm not much more than a beginner with lots of beginning of experience repeated over and over. I've settled on my favorite roast of a Guatemala Bourbon which the iRoast does OK with. I've tried and ruined some other types of beans, but the iRoast has been pretty consistent with the Guatemalan beans. I feel like there is a whole other universe out there that I'm missing, so am now looking forward to the next roaster - Behmor/Gene Cafe/HotTop???? I'm open for suggestions.

Regards
Dave

Koffee Kosmo
Hi and welcome Dave

Question is - how much coffee do you consume so you only need to roast once until the next time around ?

My feeling is that you are ready for an upgrade and it's just my take on it
So I would look at the Behmor or at least see if it's suitable to your needs

Remember to keep this in mind
" Is it Fit For Purpose "

Go for it and don't look back

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

btreichel
"Question is - how much coffee do you consume so you only need to roast once until the next time around ? "

Well, yes and no. I think my time when I was first getting started with a fresh roast was valuable since the batch size was so small that I always had 4 or 5 different coffees around and learned the difference by switching every cup.

seedlings
How handy are you with tools and 'thinking outside the box' a.k.a. interested in building a roaster, or are you set on buying a commercially available roaster?

Nothing wrong with either choice, but it helps to know which way you're leaning.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

DaveinKaty
I can get around four 40-oz pots of coffee per roast from my iRoast. I guess I brew around 20 pots per month at this point of my life. Since the broken lid from the iRoast causes a chaff storm each time I roast, I've supplemented my freshly roasted coffee with some store bought roasted beans (expensive & poor quality). I would guess at peak roasting, I would use around one to two pounds of green beans a month for my own personal use.

DaveinKaty

seedlings wrote:

How handy are you with tools and 'thinking outside the box' a.k.a. interested in building a roaster, or are you set on buying a commercially available roaster?

Nothing wrong with either choice, but it helps to know which way you're leaning.

CHAD

I'm pretty handy. In fact I've got several projects in the garage which are not complete. Which is to say I have a hard time completing the projects, which makes me more inclined to purchase a roaster vs a home built one. :-)

MPSAN

DaveinKaty wrote:

I can get around four 40-oz pots of coffee per roast from my iRoast. I guess I brew around 20 pots per month at this point of my life. Since the broken lid from the iRoast causes a chaff storm each time I roast, I've supplemented my freshly roasted coffee with some store bought roasted beans (expensive & poor quality). I would guess at peak roasting, I would use around one to two pounds of green beans a month for my own personal use.

Dave, I am the only coffee drinker here at home...well my wife drinks kcups...so, as I said, I am the only coffee drinker here. I roast 2 to 3 lbs a month in my FreshRoast SR500 and they are great. It takes about 7 minutes to roast 4 OZ. and I do 4 roasts each time...but usually only from 2 regions. The drum roasters can do 1/2 LB at a time but can take 15 minutes or so and the FReshRoast is much easier to clean. And a whole lot cheaper!

I posted how I roast coffee in my SR500 and have NEVER even burnt ONE bean. Let me know an I can give you the link.

Dave, too
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

turtle
Have you tried metallic HVAC tape on the crack? It is rather high temp and might work short term

If you go to a local HVAC shop I am sure they would cut you off a couple inches so you could give it a go

s3.supplyhouse.com/images/products/zoom/3520cw-2-1.jpg
Edited by ginny on 08/26/2016 11:24 AM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

btreichel
You can get it at Menards for about the the price of duct tape.

seedlings
Roast outside. Birds love the chaff.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

DaveinKaty

turtle wrote:

Have you tried metallic HVAC tape on the crack? It is rather high temp and might work short term

If you go to a local HVAC shop I am sure they would cut you off a couple inches so you could give it a go

I hadn't thought about that, and I actually have some. I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt.

I've tried a couple different types of epoxy, but nothing holds. It's an awkward curve and difficult to hold the pieces clamped while the epoxy cures.
Edited by ginny on 08/26/2016 11:24 AM

walt_in_hawaii
I don't know what an iroast is, so I'm assuming its a plastic top? epoxies have a really hard time bonding to plastics. I've had the same problem trying to mount a temp sensor on the bezel of my air popper, the piece slides off in slow motion. I am not convinced the Behmoor is a capable machine, the SR500 or Gene Caf? seem much better options for only a little more. My friend with a behmoor can't seem to get it to work well enough to produce enough flavor, its rather inflexible since it follows preset roasting programs only. The Hottop is the go to machine for many, but its pricey.

DaveinKaty
Walt - You're right, it's a plastic top on the air roaster that sees the full temperature of the air out of the roaster. I'll try out the tape fix mentioned above for the short term, but will soon likely purchase the Gene Cafe. For my pocket book, the Hottop is just a little too expensive for this particular hobby. I figure that once I get started, the GC will do me a good job for a long time. But I still might change my mind. We'll see.

walt_in_hawaii
Its a tough decision when juggling half perceived and nebulous (potential) gains against a very real price tag, huh? People used to get by with a coin toss on questions like that, but no more, the economy's in the tank and not likely to get better unless you happen to be in the upper .05% like Hillary :)
hmmm, maybe I shouldn't make jokes like that about someone who might become president. Then again, I can't see her roasting her own beans in a million years.
Good luck with your repair. I'm sure the metal tape will be strong enough; but I'm not sure the adhesive on the tape will last long enough; I've personally never used that kind of metal tape. I'm the "I prefer to throw away my cars when the tires wear out kinda guy :)"

DaveinKaty
So at the end of the day, I ended up ordering the Hottop as my step up from my iRoast. A couple of factors include the ability to control the heat and fan of the roaster unit, as well as the cooling method. These are the additional features over and above the Gene Cafe. I felt like I can use this Hottop for the rest of my natural born days, and have consistently good coffee (once I figure out how it works!). It should pay for itself over time, right? That's how I sold it to the home finance committee! I'm starting in with the B-2K version (basic). I can upgrade from there if/when I feel the need.

I will post my first couple roasts and let you know how it goes.

Rgds
Dave

Jump to Forum: