Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 17

Members Online: 1
Ploni

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Where are the fruity origins today?
seedlings
If you are aware of any in-stock greens with noticeable berry fruity flavors, please post them here! I haven't found a good one for quite some time.

Thanks,
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
CharcoalRoaster
Me neither - I just had some Happy Mug and Theta beans that I had hoped would give me some of that fruity nectar but alas, nothing notable.

I need some fruit bombs!
seedlings
I pulled the trigger on an Ethiopian Sidamo Guji current crop, and I will let you know!

CHAD
walt_in_hawaii
My Sidamo has been driving me NUTS! The first time I roasted it, it had the STRONGEST tastes of blueberry I ever had, and I thought I had found my new favourite, and I loved it so much... but my batches are only 110g, so it was gone in a few days. My notes say I dropped it at 427F, so I tried dropping at 425F and next batch... tasted very different, like I had taken it much darker??! huh? so I took the 3rd batch to 427F again, and... it was good, but tasted again like I had taken it into very dark territory when I plainly had not. However, I noticed a very distinct smell of blueberries early, when it was near 422F (I normally hit 2C near 445F on this TC), so my NEXT batch will drop at near 421-422F and we'll see. This bean is turning out to be very picky... but good when I get it right.
seedlings

walt_in_hawaii wrote:

My Sidamo has been driving me NUTS! The first time I roasted it, it had the STRONGEST tastes of blueberry I ever had, and I thought I had found my new favourite, and I loved it so much... but my batches are only 110g, so it was gone in a few days. My notes say I dropped it at 427F, so I tried dropping at 425F and next batch... tasted very different, like I had taken it much darker??! huh? so I took the 3rd batch to 427F again, and... it was good, but tasted again like I had taken it into very dark territory when I plainly had not. However, I noticed a very distinct smell of blueberries early, when it was near 422F (I normally hit 2C near 445F on this TC), so my NEXT batch will drop at near 421-422F and we'll see. This bean is turning out to be very picky... but good when I get it right.

Walt let me know if you figured this one out!

CHAD
ChicagoJohn
After reading this thread, I noticed that the question has arisen in my mind as to whether there are berry fruits (other than coffee) that have distinct hints of coffee flavor; blueberries, currants, cranberries, grapes, tomatoes, bananas, and so on. It would seem that if some coffee had distinct elements of fruity berry flavor, then maybe the reverse could be true as well.
So many beans; so little time....
seedlings
Just roasted this Sidamo Guji. It was 2015 crop that arrived in May 2016, so I misread. But, it tastes so nice.

Preheat 425 5min
300F at 3:48
400F at 7:13
406F first crack
430F 10:28 end

Still heard outliers of 1C.

Grounds smell heavenly with kiwi, pear, floral. Break crust to berries and flowers. Sipping hot is mulled, spiced berry cider, medium body, crisp acidity, long finish reminds me of an international spice market. Now that the cup is cool, it tastes like jasmine herb tea.

I will buy some more.

This is good news, because it means I can still roast coffee alright, if the coffee is good.

http://www.onlyco...frica.html

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/17/2016 5:04 PM
walt_in_hawaii
Hahahahaha, we must be thinking alike! I literally am just in the door from roasting about 4 batches tonight (I roast outside due to not having made a chaff collector... yet):
img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/wtani/IMG_6071_zpsv7gv2czr.jpg
The Sidamo acted strange, it had a very muted, very tentative 1C that went slowly and was spread out. I played with the temp, and got only a little over 2 minutes of flavor development; I dumped it early, at 421-422F. Took out a bean while cooling it and munched on it; mmmmmm, blueberries! yay!! I'm drawing a small tasting cup of pourover right now :)
walt_in_hawaii
Oh, in case you are curious, the Ethiopian Agaro was dumped at 425F, the Esperanza was taken to 2C + 20 seconds or so (rolling), I didn't bother getting a termination temp for that one, I just time the guats for 2C plus xx seconds...

For the Sidamo... sipping it now; berries galore, pear, scented floral heavy in my nose... smokey finish. mmmmm, good cup!
Edited by walt_in_hawaii on 09/26/2016 2:37 AM
CharcoalRoaster
Walt - where'd you order the Sidamo from?
walt_in_hawaii
Charcoal, its from Happy Mug. Good price, too... but they don't tell you what plantation, only the region. Finicky bean, its the lightest roast I've done so far of any bean I can remember, but excellent taste!
Jump to Forum: