Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

11/10/2020 5:29 PM
Welcome MJ, post away! Cheers

11/08/2020 6:05 PM
Hello All, New here, started with an air popper, now using fresh roast 800. I'm here to learn and connect with others Thank you

10/30/2020 11:02 AM
I ... FINALLY ... bought Scott Rao's book. Should receive it on the 19th. (Edit: Bad seller... 3rd party shipping, now scheduled for delivery Nov 28th)

10/30/2020 12:49 AM
Most likely humans manually spamming. thumbdown

10/28/2020 11:07 AM
We continue to get shoutbox spam attacks here. Be sure to never click on any links they post. roar

Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,831
Newest Member: Bananarama
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 + Uno probably dead
monkey_lever
I was reinstalling my roaster and the TC4 + Uno. I have a huky and was controlling the fan with a SSR and ZCD. When I was about to start roasting after some slow installations days the LCD display of the TC4 just went off and the fan turned on automatically. I tried reseting the TC4 and the Uno. I disconected everthing from the TC4 + UNO and tried to load a simple skecth to the board and I always get the same error.

Does this error means that my TC4 + Uno is dead?. Is there any solution?.

Rgds.

Arduino:1.6.11 (Windows 7), Tarjeta:"Arduino/Genuino Uno"
ejando 2.039 bytes para las variables locales. El máximo es 2.048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
JackH
I would first disconnect the TC4 shield from the Arduino. Then make sure your computer can see the Arduino as a device and that the driver is installed properly. Then load/compile the Arduino test program in the Arduino IDE that blinks the led. If that works, then the Arduino is OK.

Once that is been checked you can install the TC4 and re-load the TC4 Sketch. Use the serial monitor in Arduino IDE to test the TC4 functions.

Typing the command "chan,1234" in the serial monitor and you should get a response from the TC4 "# Active channels set to 1234".
JackH attached the following image:
tc4test.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
BenKeith
Years ago I saw that trying Artisan, but it was something with the program, not the TC4. I soon dumped Artisan for RL and it has been too long for my old brain to go back that far.

Also, check your voltage. Low voltage to the TC4 can cause similar problems. Run it off a battery or power supply and not the computers usb. A 1 amp, 9V power supply works great. The display is the first thing to go out on low voltage.
monkey_lever
Thanks for your advices I'll try that and report back.
monkey_lever
Hi.

I finally got a brand new Arduino Uno. The original one was dead.

Now my TC4 is not working properly, The Thermocouples channels are displaying values close to ambient temperature. But when I heat up the roaster the TC are not reading high temp values.

I decided to try the TC4_diag skecth to try to find out the problem.

Scanning the I2C bus tells me that the mcp3423 is not recognized:

expecting 0x48,0x50,0x68
Scanning...
I2C device found at address 0x48 !
I2C device found at address 0x50 !
done

ADC test:

Error ADC config bits 1 does not match
ADC test fail 1B

Read ADC raw data:

Read Raw ADC data for TC0 output MSB,BYTE2,LSB,STAT
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF
FF,FF,FF,FF

Any idea of what can be done to fix the problem?.

Rgds.
BenKeith
First let me ask, are you running the actual, made in Italy, Arduino UNO and not one of the cheap, Chinese copies. Does it say Made in Italy on it and not something like "made like one from Italy" If it's the Chinese copy, it can have all kinds of bugs the TC4 does not like and I may have an I2C bus address not compatible with the TC4.
There is a sketch I found that will read the bus addresses.
The reason the first Arduino was giving those errors, the bootloader on the ATmega328 was bad.
If you have the authentic UNO with the ATmega328P-PU 18 DIP processor and not one of those with the surface mounted processor, you can replace the processor and fix that one. Ebay has some that says they have the bootloader installed for a couple of bucks. I've heard people say they got them but they didn't work though, and others say they worked fine. I buy the ATmega328P-PU and use another UNO R3 to load the boatloader myself. I use them for different projects that don't need the whole UNO so I just use the processor loaded with the software I want. If you get one, MAKE SURE you get the ATmega328P -PU and not the ATmega328-PU. The one with the P behind the 328 is an energy saving model and is the only one the UNO uses.

I bought one of those Chines UNO R3's a year of so back to try because they were almost as cheap as the processor. I tried in with one of my TC4's and it gave me an I2C buss error. Somewhere I found that sketch to read them and manage to change them to get them the same, but can't say I remember how now. I finally after a couple of other errors along the way, I finally gave up trying to use a TC4 on it.
I also bought a Sainsmart I2C display adapter that had the wrong and incompatible address in it that screwed things up. Finally had to ditch that one, never did get it to work with that one.
monkey_lever
Ben.

I replaced the old arduino with an original one made in Italy. I didn't bothered trying a Chinese one to avoid incompatibility problems between the arduino and the TC4 as you mention.
BenKeith
Might want to go the Arduino forums and ask. This sounds like a type of question considered valid to their tech support.
I'm no guru with them either, when I have a problem I have to dig and scratch for answer on the internet, working my way though them the same as you are doing. The main benefit I have over you is I have four TC4's, 1/2 dozen Arduino UNO R3's a few display adapters and several displays and probably enough extra parts that I could build a few from scratch. Enough stuff I can play swaptronics any and every which way possible until I isolate and find the causes.
I don't have a roaster that will work without a TC4 connected to it so if one goes down, I don't roast until it's fixed so I have one fully complete, totally separate spare and bunches of extra parts. Well, I can plug the blower and heater in, but with a 2,400 watt heating element running wide open with 150-200 grams of beans and no way to control the heater or blower speed, I would probably get three minute roast.

You might be able to email Jim and see if he can tell you something to try.
Edited by BenKeith on 10/12/2016 8:36 PM
BenKeith
I just stuck a spare UNO R3 and TC4 together and ran that I2C address checker on it. I was showing 48, 50 and 68 found and all was good. If I took the TC4 off and ran it, no address found.

I did also manage to get your first errors because this was the same UNO board I was using to install the bootloader in several ATmega328 chips and I just found out, if I don't have it configured as a bootloader and the bootloader program runs, it erases/corrupts the bootloader in the UNO R3 so I had to replace the chip with one of those I had just loaded to get it to work again. Now I will get to see if I can reinstall the bootloader in a chip that it's bad in the next time I set up to load some more. Also, now I know to overwrite that sketch before I unplug the board so it doesn't that again if I don't have it setup as a bootloader.

One thing I did notice, I ran into several errors while messing with this one simply because I didn't have the TC4 shield fully pressed down into the headers on the UNO board and I'm only talking about an extra fraction of an inch I had to press it down. So, you might want to put a little extra pressure on yours and make sure all the pins went into the UNO boards headers and the are FULLY seated.
monkey_lever
Ben.

Thanks for your recommendations.

I have taken appart the tc4 and the UNO to check the connection.

I think that the source of my problem is that I mistakenly shorted the two cables going from the SSR to the fan. And the short broke the UNO and the TC4.

My new uno is working fine. The LCD is working. Main problem now is that the TC4. And the tc4 seems not being available rigth know from Jim.
BenKeith
Jim used to repair them and could have it back to you in about a week. Not sure if his schedule still allows that or not, might check and see.
JackH
I2C devices on the TC4:

0x48 = the MCP9800 Ambient Temp Sensor (U1).
0x50 = the 24LC512 EEPROM (IC1).
0x68 = the MCP3424 (ADC1).

From what you say, it is not seeing the MCP3424 AtoD converter chip on the I2C bus. You also get an ADC config bits error. Sounds like the chip is bad.

I think you are correct that it probably damaged both the Arduino and TC4. You are getting ambient readings because the Ambient temperature chip is working.

I don't think the Arduino forums will be of any help here since the problem is now TC4 related. All TC4 information is available from Jim and also on this site.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
monkey_lever
Jack.

Thanks for your response. I followed your PDF about checking the TC4 after soldering. Can you point me out to what resistance and/or capacitors should I check in order to change them + the mcp3424.

Rgds.
JackH
I would replace the mcp3424. It is very sensitive and usually the first to go.

Then do your resistance checks for the power and other control signals in my document and nothing is shorted or low resistance,

Check your soldering carefully before you power up to make sure there are no solder shorts.

Where are you located?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
monkey_lever
Jack.

Jack I'm located in Colombia. I'll need to buy the full replacement kit from the US because the shipping cost are the same anyways. Buying the TC4 kit from Jim is going to be easier for me but the kit does not seems available rigth know.

Rgds.
ginny
I am trying to get hold of Jim, hopefully, he is ok and around.

ginny
Jump to Forum: