Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
HeatGun Presale Questions!
texh
hello
so after stovetop method roasting i want to stepup my game and im willing to buy a heatgun to roast coffee beans.. keeping in mind my preference would be 100gm/batch size kindly guide me abit on heatguns, and also tell me the limit of gms/batch i can go with heatgun..

so im in talks with a guy who is selling cheap new heatgun that is of 1400w.. is 1400w enough for roasting coffee?

considering sunny climate at 26-30C in how many mins can i roast 100gm batch wit this 1400w heatgun..

also most importantly can heatgun provide me a v.even roast(i will keep agitating the beans...

the seller says this.. "It can be used with three positions, 0 stop, I temperature 400 ?C, and II temperature 590 ?C." thou i think the temp stats would be abit lower than stated..

please reply..
thanks!

texh
also please tell me a china heatgun can work for 20mins at a time?

Scooter Dog
My little roaster is a heat gun/bread machine roaster. I really like the roast I get out of it. My first harbor freight $8.99 heat gun lasted fora couple of years roasting. I have had it for a long time so it was an older model. When it stopped working, I replaced it with the newer model that they put on for $9.00. The first one lasted several months and I am already on a second. If this one doesn't last longer, I will try their adjustable temp heat gun that is around $30.00.

I roast 16-19 oz batches so 100 grams shouldn't be a problem.

Dan

texh
can you comment on evenness of the roast? and time it took to roast your 16-19oz batch

oldgearhead
I've used the same Master Appliance 1550 watt heat gun element in my fluid-bed roaster for almost six years with no failures. So I would suggest you take a look at their models..
No oil on my beans...

PeteH

Scooter Dog wrote:

My little roaster is a heat gun/bread machine roaster. I really like the roast I get out of it. My first harbor freight $8.99 heat gun lasted fora couple of years roasting. I have had it for a long time so it was an older model. When it stopped working, I replaced it with the newer model that they put on for $9.00. The first one lasted several months and I am already on a second. If this one doesn't last longer, I will try their adjustable temp heat gun that is around $30.00.

I roast 16-19 oz batches so 100 grams shouldn't be a problem.

Dan

What happens to the HF heat guns is a little thermal fuse melts and that is why they quit. You can take it apart and take the thermal fuse out of the circuit and solder the wires back together and it will work forever. I did that on one over 5 years ago and it is still working fine.
Pete

David
The evenness of the roast in a bread machine is awesome.
The agitation is the key, the beans are always in motion.

Stirring by hand is less even, but can still be pretty good.
One way to improves the evenness with a dog bowl is to put a close-fitting screen colander inside the bowl. That way the heat can pass through the beans and the heat of the bowl is less of a factor in judging the heat. Roast times are faster, too. FWIW

I am partial to the more expensive, heavy-duty heat guns, (Master, Wagner, Milwaukee) but I have used Horrid Fright's Orange Beasts with good success. Tip: buy more than one.

David

ChicagoJohn
A while back I ran across the following on YouTube that may be of interest...

https://youtu.be/...
So many beans; so little time....

Jump to Forum: