Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

11/10/2020 5:29 PM
Welcome MJ, post away! Cheers

11/08/2020 6:05 PM
Hello All, New here, started with an air popper, now using fresh roast 800. I'm here to learn and connect with others Thank you

10/30/2020 11:02 AM
I ... FINALLY ... bought Scott Rao's book. Should receive it on the 19th. (Edit: Bad seller... 3rd party shipping, now scheduled for delivery Nov 28th)

10/30/2020 12:49 AM
Most likely humans manually spamming. thumbdown

10/28/2020 11:07 AM
We continue to get shoutbox spam attacks here. Be sure to never click on any links they post. roar

Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,831
Newest Member: Bananarama
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rate My Roast
jkruer01
I roasted 1.5 lbs of Sweet Maria's Altiplano Blend to 435F in 17 minutes.

Here are the pictures. Please tell me what you think.

What roast level would you consider this?

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i284pz3sw5z....jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pz3ttifb642....jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pz3ttifb642....jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9arjj5pb58f....jpg?raw=1
Edited by JackH on 10/21/2016 6:01 PM
ginny
I think the roast looks like a City Plus + would love to see what you think when you taste it.

how do you brew by the way.

ginny
jkruer01

ginny wrote:

I think the roast looks like a City Plus + would love to see what you think when you taste it.

how do you brew by the way.

ginny

Hmmm... City+...that is what I was afraid of. I was trying for a FC+.

I roast in a TTKO that I made. I have been using it for about 8 months. I like the results so far but I don't have a very sophisticated palette. This is the first time I have tried these beans though.

Usually I use the Ethiopiques Blend or the Monkey Espresso blend.

Thanks!
allenb
I agree with Gin on City + but as many have posted, type of light and intensity can cause a photo to come out very different from the actual color when viewing in sunlight in-person.

Looks to me like a very even roast with no tipping or scorching.

Are you roasting on a KKTO? Not sure what a TTKO is.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
jkruer01

allenb wrote:

I agree with Gin on City + but as many have posted, type of light and intensity can cause a photo to come out very different from the actual color when viewing in sunlight in-person.

Looks to me like a very even roast with no tipping or scorching.

Are you roasting on a KKTO? Not sure what a TTKO is.

Allen

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I meant KKTO.

I tried some today and it was good but not what I was hopping for (brighter and thinner than I wanted). I was looking for something more syrupy and chocolatey. Based on the Sweet Maria description, a City+ roast would describe the flavors I got. My next batch I will roast for an extra 10F to try and get FC or FC+.

Thanks!
allenb

I tried some today and it was good but not what I was hopping for (brighter and thinner than I wanted). I was looking for something more syrupy and chocolatey

The "holy grail" of coffee roasting is taking a coffee just far enough into first crack or barely out of it allowing maximum varietal imaging while retaining full body, balanced acidity and low notes simultaneously. This can only be accomplished by being in absolute control of rate of rise during the development phase. We can get everything perfect up to the first snips of first crack but will be of little value if we don't force the beans to conform to our will, stretching out the development phase to bring out the needed body and low notes to join in with the perfectly focused varietal notes.

An analogy I use is listening to a great 3 way loudspeaker and losing the woofer. No matter how perfect the reproduction of the mid and high notes is, without the full spectrum of music, it sounds thin and tinny.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Jump to Forum: