Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 12

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,043
Newest Member: tigertictac
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fluid Bed 0.5 - 1 kg
Husamka
Hi,
I am roasting with Bread Maker and Heat Gun. I have been reading in Home roaster for some time and I came with this design influenced by great builder here. Seeking your comments. all parts is into scale and Bake A round is 5"x14".
Husamka attached the following images:
screen_shot_2016-11-12_at_64639_pm.png screen_shot_2016-11-12_at_61344_pm.png screen_shot_2016-11-12_at_61218_pm.png screen_shot_2016-11-12_at_64735_pm.png
coffeeroastersclub
Thank you for your kind comments. I am very humbled by them. Roflmao

All kidding aside, just a couple first impressions and suggestions. I really do not think you need a separate bean cooler/dechaffer as the fluid bed method will do the dechaffing automatically as part of its function, and at the end you can just turn off the heat and allow the beans to cool again automatically in the roasting chamber. Question: Where does your exhaust go?

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
Husamka
Len, blowing the beans with cool air is not enough to cool them fast while RC Steal and the glass will sustain the heat for longer time .
The exhaust pipe end with cyclone but I remove it as the drawing will be complicated to the viewer and even after the cyclone you can connect the hot air to the blower again with valves but also I remove it for less complication. It's really funny how you think that you can cool them fast inside heated steel.
coffeeroastersclub
I cool down my beans inside the roasting chamber all the time, however I do use a water mist which very quickly accelerates the cooling process; in fact much faster than any exterior setup I have ever used. So maybe that is something to think about. Sure would save alot of extra work and space with your machine.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
Mustang967

Husamka wrote:

Len, blowing the beans with cool air is not enough to cool them fast while RC Steal and the glass will sustain the heat for longer time .
The exhaust pipe end with cyclone but I remove it as the drawing will be complicated to the viewer and even after the cyclone you can connect the hot air to the blower again with valves but also I remove it for less complication. It's really funny how you think that you can cool them fast inside heated steel.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can cool beans inside the roast chamber. I've been cooling my roasts in a bake a round from around 400f to 120-140f in about 2-3 minutes. I would guess many if not most people here do their cooling within the roast chamber. Obviously its your design. Personally I'd go with in chamber cooling for simplification. Good luck!

Royce
oldgearhead
For several years now I have been performing roasting, cooling, and chaff removal in the (Bake-A-Round) roast chamber. A 40 mesh convex screen at the top of the roast chamber will allow the beans to cool and separate the chaff, then simply vacuum the chaff from the top of the beans after cooling the beans. ..btw - Len is usually correct..forum.homeroaster...ad_id=2207
No oil on my beans...
greencardigan
Same here. Cooling in the RC work more than good enough for me. Although I have a fairly lightweight stainless steel and glass RC.
stevea
I'm new to this forum, but have been home roasting for ~12-13 years - primarily on a SC/TO. I've been considering a fluid bed build in this range as well. Technically most designs I see are "spouted bed" not fluid bed - helps to know when you are googling for tech articles.

WRT to Humasks'a post.

What CAD/drawing package ? Looks good.

I've never seen a "bake-a-round" but I understand they have a 3.5 inch diameter and 14in long that is too small (~62 cm^2 cross section). 1kg of greens (about 1540cc), results in roast beans that occupy ~2620cc. So they would fill a 3.5 inch cylinder to ~16.6 inches. That's 'taller' than a bake-a-round.
Wrong size RC IMO - should be more like 6 inch diameter, then 1kg of greens results in ~5.7inch roast depth.
--

I have some goals for a design that differ from any spouted bed units I've seen so far. The designs, esp the RC are too complex (for amateur fabrication), and the systems are too energy inefficient.
oldgearhead
Steva - Bake-A-Round roast chamber -I have been fluid-bed roasting, cooling, and collecting chaff of 500 grams of green beans for several years. The primary limitation is cooling. 500 grams is the limit, I've found for for cooling. You are correct a Bake-A-Round is too small for 1KG of green beans. but perfect for 500 grams...A Bake-A-Round will roast 700 grams but it is not large enough for chaff collection and cooling,,
Edited by oldgearhead on 11/21/2016 7:42 AM
No oil on my beans...
stevea
Tnx for the confirmation OGH. It appears that the finished roast from 500g in a bake-a-round might be 8.3 inches give or take. That seems pretty rational as a fliud-bed depth - and allows plenty of headroom. I would have hoped it could do 700g, but it seems cooling is the problem.

I think want to make a fluid bed that can handle 400-800g loads in a fast(<9mn) roast, ... how big is rational ? If I had the capacity I might rarely do 1kg, but ... over-building has penalties - you can't do the smaller loads with shallow beds.

I have some other questions wrt cfm & temps - but I'll start another thread to avoid polluting this one further.
snwcmpr
AllenB built my roaster. It has a bake A Round glass. I have imagined that the only way I could do more, I do 1 lb, is if it had a chimney above it.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
Husamka
Steva, Its AutoCAD . for your size the right diameter is 5".
with this design cooling is not problem. you can dump the beans outside from the below gate and cool it like any Drum Roaster do.
for the blowing power, I have small blower with Wind power 3.6m3/min
Husamka attached the following images:
screen_shot_2016-11-22_at_62047_pm.png screen_shot_2016-11-13_at_102145_pm_copy.jpg

Edited by Husamka on 11/22/2016 8:45 AM
Husamka
oldgearhead,
Previous post you said its better to cool it in the Roasting Chamber and that no need for this dump gate in the drawings above which is part of fast shifting the beans to the Beans Cooler and no need for the cooler fan too, and in last post you mentioned that the primary limitation is cooling capability with your way of roasting. so which way is better.
coffeeroastersclub

Husamka wrote:

Steva, Its AutoCAD . for your size the right diameter is 5".
with this design cooling is not problem. you can dump the beans outside from the below gate and cool it like any Drum Roaster do.
for the blowing power, I have small blower with Wind power 3.6m3/min

Are you roasting commercially or just for yourself? If commercially I can see a minimal time savings benefit to having an outside of roasting chamber cooling process IF you wanted to do continuous roasting (again time saved would be minimal as responders to your post have indicated). Otherwise why complicate matters by adding more parts (with related additional cost and size) to your roaster? Occum's Razor?

Len
Husamka
Len,
Oldgearhead said,

"The primary limitation is cooling. 500 grams is the limit"
I ask why ?
Beside where is complication and the fan already there working, only add small flour sifter.
coffeeroastersclub

Husamka wrote:

Len,
Oldgearhead said,

"The primary limitation is cooling. 500 grams is the limit"
I ask why ?
Beside where is complication and the fan already there working, only add small flour sifter.

You need to let Oldgearhead a chance to respond back to you. He is an active member of this site, I am sure he will. welcome cup

Len
Husamka
Len,

What I meant by my question is that the cooling in RC is giving roasting limitation to "Oldgearhead" which support the design above of discharge the beans for prompt cooling in the sifter.
coffeeroastersclub

Husamka wrote:

Len,

What I meant by my question is that the cooling in RC is giving roasting limitation to "Oldgearhead" which support the design above of discharge the beans for prompt cooling in the sifter.

From what I know about OGH roaster is that there are no capacity limitations relating to cooling design. In fact his roaster is extraordinary in how it roasts the capacity it does with such low wattage. ThumbsUp

Len
oldgearhead
I have a 40 mesh, convex, screen at the top of the RC. For a few 'dry (natural) processed coffee beans it gets plugged up at any bean weight above 350 grams. However, I usually roast 500 grams of 'wet processed' coffee with plenty room for quick cooling in the RC.
Any more than that I think the RC is too small for good mixing during cooling..
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_0092.jpg

No oil on my beans...
oldgearhead
Forty mesh convex screen available at Lowes and Wally World.
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_2356_6.jpg

No oil on my beans...
Jump to Forum: