You must login to post a message.

10/21/2021 2:41 AM
muckymuck, mckinleyharris and williamjonex welcome cup

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 9

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: williamjonex

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hottop KN-8828B-2K+ First Roasts
ctilley79
After years fighting with a gene caf? roaster, I decided to get a new Hottop. Their new offering with a more powerful heating element, bean probe, and Artisan integration were the deciding factors for me. After my first few roasts, I am completely shocked how much different this roaster behaves from my previous one. Here are a couple issues/questions I have regarding the new unit. Any advice on how to best learn this equipment would be greatly appreciated. I am posting a couple screens from Artisan but keep in mind I'm not 100% proficient with the software yet.

1. Things happen fast. I was shocked how fast this machine can go from first crack to second crack if you don't slow the process down. Does anyone have any ideas on how to best manage the heating element and fan through the roast? My machine seems to run hot. Voltage in my home is around 123V.

2. I'm unsure the accuracy of the bean mass probe. I tested alongside my Fluke thermocouple and at room temperature they are less than 1 degree fahrenheit apart. I can't really test while roasting, but I seem to be hitting first crack anywhere from 346-355 degrees. Seems early. I took my first batch to 402 and it was flat out burnt. The second one I pulled at 395 and it was still too dark. The third one I pulled at 390 and it was better, but still pretty dark. Not sure Why my bean probe is possibly reading lower than actual at those temps.

3. Smoke. The nice thing about the Gene Caf? is I can vent it well with my 700cfm range hood. Unfortunately the Hottop smokes from about every orifice and the fan blows the smoke straight out the back. Does anyone have any experience with venting? I'd like to continue roasting indoors in a controlled environment.

Anyone have an example profile of a city roast I can use as a guide? A lot of profiles I see online, people are taking their roasts way past my preference. What bean mass temp should I pull my beans for this type of roast?
ctilley79 attached the following images:
roast_colombian.png roast1.png
turtle
Use the fan to make rapid temperature changes and the heating element to make slower and more subtle changes. If you want to slow the roast, turn the fan speed up.

You will need to "reset" your expectations of temp and bean status.

You will find your registered temperatures are going to be lower for the same state of roast.

You may want to grab a manual roasting chart and record some "successful" roasts, then follow what is needed to get what you are after.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/roasting_log_zps8jbip9tb.gif
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
pablo
I'm a real babe in the woods when it comes to the HotTop . Just got a 2k+ a couple weeks ago .For the past few years have been using a Fresh Roast 500 and another brand of drum roaster .Did mod with new control on drum roaster so I could get more control over roast .Was still not happy with results,good but no cigar !! My first roast with HotTop was on auto,it was just ok . Then I did another roast playing with adjustments to see what I could do with all the control the 2k+ gives you . That turned out just ok too . Then I started finding tips on the net for roasting with Hottop and came across one on their website that I used on roast #3 .Roasted a Costa Rican bean that Roasmasters gave me when I purchased roaster . I did not use Artisan software but manually made adjustments as document suggested . What I did was not exact,but roasting beans is not an exact science anyway . Stopped roast just at 2nd crack (what a joy to be able to stop roast without carryover as was the problem I had with other drum) and it looked and smelled great .I do my roasting in front of my kitchen window with a fan blowing out and what I found was amount of smoke from Hottop was far less than other drum and fluid bed ,which is something that stopped me from buying HotTop in the past because there was all this talk of smoke .Anyhow I saved roast to HotTop memory and boy was I glad I did . With less than a 24hr rest the coffee from that roast was fantastic . The coffee was everything I wanted from that roaster . If the controls are used properly (and the 2k+ is very easy to adjust on the fly) temps and smoke are no problem . That is only my observation after using a fluid bed and another brand of drum roaster . At first I was intimidated by all the control but after following that tip from HotTop and it wasn't specific to the 2k+, all it was was how to get the most out of your HotTop roaster .
this is link
https://www.hottopusa.com/profile.pdf
I am more than happy with how it performs .
Ps just to give you an idea of how little smoke I get from HotTop . I have two Parakeets in the adjoining room to where I roast and there is no way I can let any smoke build up enough where it could get to them . We are talking 15 feet away .
Edited by pablo on 12/27/2016 1:18 AM
Randy G
pablo,

Be aware that when you save a profile in the Hottop itself and then use it to roast, the roast is controlled on a time-priority basis and NOT by temperature.
What that means is that, for example, if you changed the heat to 50% at 12:00 when the coffee was at 385F., then when you run that saved program the machine will change the heat to 50% at 12:00 ignoring whatever the bean temperature is at that moment. If you change beans or the environmental temperature is different, the roast will be different.

If you are serious about your profiles being accurate, either always roast manually or create your profiles in Artisan using the Alarms. To roast manually you will want a "Blank" program saved that makes no changes.
- Start a roast by programming in maximum time and maximum temperature and hit "START."
- When it says add beans, don't.
- At that point set the heat to 100% and fan to 0%. Then reset the heat to 98%, and when the color of the heat % display changes back to its normal state, immediately set it back to 100%. Then do the same to the fan speed changing it to 1 then back to 0.
- Allow the roast to continue for about two or three.
- Throughout this period, if the machine tries to change the Heat or Fan, change it back to 100% heat and 0% fan.
- At the end of the time (three minutes or so as mentioned above), hit eject and when prompted after the cooling period, SAVE the program to one of the memory locations (I use Ad3 for that).
Now, whenever you roast, use that saved program but do not save it in that memory area. If you like the roast, save it to a different "Ad" location (Ad1 or Ad2). In this way you will always have that "blank slate" from which to operate.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
ctilley79
Based off the images I posted, do I have the right idea at least? Can you tell whether I should have dialed in the fan/heater any differently at certain times in the roast?
Randy G
All my current data is from the KN-8828B-2K+ and from the factory probes, so it is difficult to compare. I would suggest turning on ROR as well setting it so that development time is displayed at the end of the roast. Also stretching out the X axis will make it easier to see what is going on.

ctilley79

Randy G wrote:

All my current data is from the KN-8828B-2K+ and from the factory probes, so it is difficult to compare. I would suggest turning on ROR as well setting it so that development time is displayed at the end of the roast. Also stretching out the X axis will make it easier to see what is going on.

Same here Randy. This is a 100% factory 2k+
Randy G
1st crack figures seem off from what I experience. The display for BT on the roaster turns brown at 356 and iirc, 1st will start at about 360-363 or so (my most recent data is on the garage laptop - don't be impressed. It is a 12 year old Toshiba running Vista).

That was why I made that comment. I would make the line thickness of the heat and fan thinner, add ROR, and spread the X axis to make changes easier to see on the temperature lines.

ctilley79

Randy G wrote:

1st crack figures seem off from what I experience. The display for BT on the roaster turns brown at 356 and iirc, 1st will start at about 360-363 or so (my most recent data is on the garage laptop - don't be impressed. It is a 12 year old Toshiba running Vista).

I'd like to troubleshoot this further. It really bugs me. I'm not sure why mine is reaching first crack so soon, even with different bean origins. I'm going to brainstorm some tests to see what the issue could be.
Randy G
If you look at the downloads section here I have posted a full set of "Alarms" you can upload along with a graph of a roast I did (iirc). It would allow you to load the alarms, use the graph as a template background, run the roaster with Artisan control, and compare what your machine does to what mine did. It is an older alarm set (I have changed it since then) but it would be a start for you.

pablo

Randy G wrote:

pablo,

Be aware that when you save a profile in the Hottop itself and then use it to roast, the roast is controlled on a time-priority basis and NOT by temperature.
What that means is that, for example, if you changed the heat to 50% at 12:00 when the coffee was at 385F., then when you run that saved program the machine will change the heat to 50% at 12:00 ignoring whatever the bean temperature is at that moment. If you change beans or the environmental temperature is different, the roast will be different.

If you are serious about your profiles being accurate, either always roast manually or create your profiles in Artisan using the Alarms. To roast manually you will want a "Blank" program saved that makes no changes.
- Start a roast by programming in maximum time and maximum temperature and hit "START."
- When it says add beans, don't.
- At that point set the heat to 100% and fan to 0%. Then reset the heat to 98%, and when the color of the heat % display changes back to its normal state, immediately set it back to 100%. Then do the same to the fan speed changing it to 1 then back to 0.
- Allow the roast to continue for about two or three.
- Throughout this period, if the machine tries to change the Heat or Fan, change it back to 100% heat and 0% fan.
- At the end of the time (three minutes or so as mentioned above), hit eject and when prompted after the cooling period, SAVE the program to one of the memory locations (I use Ad3 for that).
Now, whenever you roast, use that saved program but do not save it in that memory area. If you like the roast, save it to a different "Ad" location (Ad1 or Ad2). In this way you will always have that "blank slate" from which to operate.

Thank you Randy ,I'll do that with the blank program . It's going to take me a while before I get comfortable with Artisan and set up alarms so it looks like manual roasting is probably how I'll be roasting . Kind of prefer that hands on way of doing my roasts anyhow .
Thanks again for the tip .
pablo

Randy G wrote:

If you look at the downloads section here I have posted a full set of "Alarms" you can upload along with a graph of a roast I did (iirc). It would allow you to load the alarms, use the graph as a template background, run the roaster with Artisan control, and compare what your machine does to what mine did. It is an older alarm set (I have changed it since then) but it would be a start for you.

Randy I looked for download but could not find it . How is it named ? I'm very interested in seeing how it's done because when it comes down to it I haven't a clue .
JackH

pablo wrote:

Randy I looked for download but could not find it . How is it named ? I'm very interested in seeing how it's done because when it comes down to it I haven't a clue .

My fault, I did not get to load it into the system. I just loaded it and should be here:

http://forum.home...load_id=30

Sorry!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
pablo
Thanks Jack . Downloaded file and will give it a try on next roast .
Jump to Forum: