renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First time poster and roaster (help) :)
Brad40
Hello! First time poster...I love coffee! (Obviously, as I found a forum!), and decided to take the first plunge into hobby coffee roasting. I purchased a west bend poppery I on eBay and received it a few days ago. After watching all the how-to videos I could get my hands on, decided it was time to give it a go. Since it's winter, I decided to place the popper in a cardboard box per one of the tips in a video to keep more of the hot air localized and keep the beans hotter. Ok, here's where things went wrong. The video stated to let it warm up initially for 2 minutes. So, I put it in the box, turned it on and walked away to weigh my green coffee beans. Apparently, it was warmer outside than I thought. When I came back, The clear plastic top had melted a little bit, and The motor was no longer running. I think I may have burned up the motor before I even got started. (Lesson learned- never walk away even for a minute) did this costly mistake ruin my popper, or can the motor be repaired? (The coils still heat up when turned on, but no motor) any help would be welcomed!

allenb
Hi Brad, that's a sad story for your first post! Unfortunately, you most likely melted one of the thermal fuses so to get it in running condition again would require getting everything opened up and be able to make some repairs (bypassing the thermal fuse).

At this point, if you're up for it, get her apart and we can guide you through the repairs.

Brew yourself a good cup of coffee, get your tools ready to go and dive in!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Brad40
Hi Allen,

Thank you for replying! I will get it apart soon and look into the thermal fuse like you suggested. In the meantime, I have another poppery on the way. I'll use the repaired (hopefully) one for a back up, and use the one coming to jump right in. (And actually attend to it the whole time on this go-round!) thank you for helping me trouble-shoot!

Brad

coffeeforblood
Just as a caution, I burned up a couple of poppers without ever putting them in a box! My opinion is that they need open access to fresh air. I burned mine up by roasting too many batches back-to-back without letting the popper cool sufficiently between batches. By trial and error, I found that if I ran three poppers in a cycle with 12-20 minute batches, each one would cool sufficiently between batches to prevent any burnout problems. Ah, those were the good old days before I moved on to my home built fluid bed roaster.

turtle

Brad40 wrote:

Ok, here's where things went wrong. The video stated to let it warm up initially for 2 minutes. So, I put it in the box, turned it on and walked away to weigh my green coffee beans. Apparently, it was warmer outside than I thought. When I came back, The clear plastic top had melted a little bit, and The motor was no longer running. I think I may have burned up the motor before I even got started. (Lesson learned- never walk away even for a minute) did this costly mistake ruin my popper, or can the motor be repaired? (The coils still heat up when turned on, but no motor) any help would be welcomed!

Welcome to HRO, Brad.

First rule of coffee roasting. Never leave a roaster for any reason. Does not matter if it is a pan on a stove or a $10k production machine. Be there all the time as anything can (and does) happen.

I've bought all 3 of my coffee roasters from previous owners who walked away only to come back to flames and a destroyed roasting machine.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ginny
we can help you with this and REMEMBER, NEVER LEAVE A ROASTER ALONE IF YOU TURNED IT ON...

I burnt up a Hot Top many years ago as something happened when I turned my back for 2 seconds, big fire on my deck. still, have char holes from the incident.

we will help.

ginny

thanks for joining us...

roar

Brad40
Lesson was definitely learned. I now have another poppery, and will be trying my first batch as soon as the weather improves. Thanks again all for the help.

Brad

Jump to Forum: