Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Six Selections from Happy Mug
ChicagoJohn
JackH's recent post led me to six 1 lb samples from Happy Mug and then to try them in our espresso machine (my wife's favorite brewing method) and in my hybrid brewing procedure (45 gm / coarse grind - 50 on Rocky, stirred in 200 ml of 180?F water for 60 seconds and then filtered through a paperless cone into 300 ml of 180?F water to yield ~ 18 oz).

I used my 91 gm modified popper with a Rao-shaped profile, cooling at 15 sec after 2C onset for the espresso method and after cessation of 1C and before onset of 2C for the hybrid method with the time after 1C onset ~ 25% of total roast time. Each of the resulting 12 batches were bagged and allowed to rest for a week before brewing. Oil was observed on the batches roasted for espresso infusion, and they were a little darker than the Lavazza Super Crema we have recently been using for espresso which we used as a basis for comparing the six samples. In comparing the six samples for my brewing method, I used my standard 2:1 blend of Yirgacheffe : Mt Elgon roasted with the same profile.

We are new to all this and not competent to attribute the various flavor notes others commonly use, so we just went with relative "likability" based upon (a) absence of objectionable qualities like sourness, bitterness, or burned flavor, (b) richness or depth of flavor spectrum, and (c) quality of finish, and I will report the composite of these elements. We elected to do our tasting on successive days rather than side-by-side, even though that isn't a very scientific way to do it, and we had 3 - 4 days worth of each for the espresso and 2 days for the hybrid brewing method.

Espresso results in order of preference:

#1 Brazille 19+ Vanilla

#2 - #4 Lavazza, Espresso Blend 2 Straight Shot, Espresso Blend 1 Universal (all roughly equal)

#5 Yirgacheffe Gedeb Washed (just slightly below the above three (the Starbucks "Espresso Roast" she had been using would be about equal to the Yirgacheffe
----------------------------------------
The following two were significantly less good to our taste
#6 Colombia Asojardia (weak, thin)
#7 Sumatra Pea Berry Raja Batak (sourish)

Hybrid method in order of preference:

#1 Sumatra PB Raja Batak - surprisingly rich, sweet, fruity spectrum of flavors both by itself and used in conjunction with my usual (former favorite) Yirgacheffe/MtElgon blend.

#2 -#4 Yirga/Mt Elgon Blend, Yirgcheffe Gedeb Washed, Brazille 19+ Vanilla

#5 Espresso 2

#6 - #7 Espresso 1, Columbia Asojardin

No telling how the same samples would have fared had we first optimized the roast profiles for each to the specific brewing methods. We have plenty of each left and will probably repeat the experiment, maybe reducing the times for the roasts intended for espresso extraction to right at 2C onset so that we don't get any oil coming out after resting. We know that shortening it up to the profile I use for my hybrid brewing gives espresso results we don't like, so maybe somewhere in between.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this and would be interested in any comments and suggestions since we are pretty much novices at this.
So many beans; so little time....

woodchuck
Good info John thanks for posting this. I've found the Brazilian's from Happy Mug to be pretty good for blending this year. Very sweet and not as muddy as some of the Brazilians I've had.
Roasters: TJ-067, Hottop with TC4C and RAF Mods
Espresso: LaSpaziale VII/Macap M4 Grinder
Pour over: Bonmac Pro Cone
Press: Bodum

Jump to Forum: