11/21/2021 1:56 AM
Welcome, pimaCanyon and Chris Porter!

11/18/2021 3:29 AM
locotoro, ionpau and gougege, welcome cup

11/16/2021 12:53 AM
RidgevilleRoaster OH, _lg3, Yirgaman, Houncer and AgressivStreetLamp
welcome !

11/15/2021 9:57 AM
Welcome, jasper_8137, goldyy9 and Evermancg !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 23

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,359
Newest Member: JackedUp

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Poor placement or pure fear?
CharcoalRoaster
I wired up a dryer igniter to avoid the issue of airflow killing my flame to ignite the propane burner on my FB build. Today is the first day of sun in a while so I decided to fire it up and see if I can throw something on to roast.

I turned the ignitor on, ran soft airflow through, slowly introduced some propane but no ignition???

I'm wondering if the ignitor is placed too far above the burner to spark the flame? (about 6") or if I just was too afraid and impatient to allow it to ignite?

BBQ grill

coffeeroastersclub
You need to place it about 1/2" above the burner making sure the element is directly in the path of the gas. You placed it WAY to high above it. BE CAREFUL!

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

CharcoalRoaster
Shoot. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I placed it that high above because I wasn't sure what would happen to the ceramic element itself sitting in a propane flame like that. I suppose I'll move it this weekend and give a shot. Thanks!

coffeeroastersclub
The elements are designed to take high continuous heat. They need to be close and directly in the path of the propane. Too far away could cause an explosive situation due to the prolonged attempt at lighting.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

CharcoalRoaster
I'm gonna call it a moderate success...

(1) I moved the element as close to the burner as I could without it actually touching.
(2) Turned on element and introduce some airflow.
(3) Introduced some propane.

According to my thermocouple I achieved ignition and within a few second temps rose to about 175*. The reason I'm only calling it moderate success is that

(1) the propane sounded funny (kind of gurgling instead of like a jet engine noise)
(2) too much propane caused it to blow out the back of the burner venturi area
(3) I don't think all of the propane was actually igniting due to the smell of propane outside of the roaster.

Am I seeing the difficulty with using a turkey fryer burner? Or is something else contributing to the lack of clean burn? Or something else entirely?

allenb
I would never test a new roaster/burner design without a viewing window to see flame quality. You need to visually check on what it's doing but with all parts in place so you 're seeing actual conditions. That way you'll know if the flame is the correct color, if the flame is or isn't lifting off of the burner surface (this will cause the fluttering sound you're referring to) and much more.

When you install a viewing window, shoot us some video! Then we can help troubleshoot.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

coffeeroastersclub
It may be the turkey burner since all of the gas does not come out of just one jet. Too much airflow going by lots of little low pressure holes. Even if one side gets lit I can see that the other side "WAY OVER THERE" won't get lit. Thats my best guess.

Len

Jump to Forum: