Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
DIY 002 Roaster Kit
hankua
Same one on YouTube and he posted here awhile back. I set up a meeting last month for a demo at his friend's cafe; Coffee Play in Taichung. The guys name is Sonny Tsai, and he brought all the assorted parts and put it together for me on a table. Then he roasted a batch on a tiny gas camp burner outside on the sidewalk.

I thought it was very well made and easy to take apart or modify. One of the really cool things is he has a charcoal adaptor (real wood charcoal) that works; and I tasted some coffee roasted with the method. Other thing, it's well insulated with ceramic fiber.

It's kind of pricy, heavy, well made, and something that might appeal to the homeroasters crowd as it's in kit form. The capacity might be a bit overstated, didn't check it as I'm probably not a potential buyer. Sonny hasn't sold a ton of these and none to the US, but using PayPal should be safe.

renatoa
A bit too criptic... I guess you mean this page, scorll down to DIY 002:

https://hankua.wo...
Edited by JackH on 03/01/2017 4:56 AM
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

hankua
Sonny posted here, but ran afoul of the forum rules. His YouTube video's can be found by searching "DIY 002 coffee roaster". An in-person hands on observation goes a long way, if someone was really seriously considering his machine. Like I said, the DIY might have some appeal to a member who wants some hands on experience, but doesn't have the tools or know how with metalworking. It's good to have options, and he appears to be experimenting with electric elements according to his blog.

There are coffee roasters, cafe's with coffee roasters, commercial coffee roaster manufacturers, smaller roaster builders such as: Quest m3, Huky, Rotate Fun, Bullet R1, Mercury, DIY 002, and more in Taiwan. It's impressive indeed, especially in the roasting end of the spectrum.
Edited by hankua on 03/02/2017 4:25 AM

JackH
Is this the same roaster?

http://forum.home...post_60625

I think it is a great idea but he should setup a web site for information and selling. He is welcome to post here anytime but direct selling using this site is against the forum rules.
Edited by JackH on 03/02/2017 5:01 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

hankua
Yup, that's it!

The builder is somewhat similar to Huky500's Mr. Li. Both gentlemen have limited English abilities, although the DIY 002 builder has a blog describing his journey (in Chinese). And google translate does a less than optimal job of translation.

There is no web site for the Huky500 or the DIY002. Interested customers have to deal directly with both builders regarding questions.

renatoa
Asked for a quote and all I can say is that this guy is overestimating his work... can't sell raw materials for the price of a Huky...
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

hankua
If your saying it's a bit expensive I'd agree. But as a Huky owner, the DIY has a real gear motor, chaff collector, standard bearings, heavy plate construction. Contrast that to the lightweight Huky with toy gear motor and hacked chaff collector; maybe the increased price is justified?

Or possibly it needs to be priced at or below a Huky?

Don't get me wrong, Huky's have stood the test of time and punishment far beyond they're intended use. They have an extremely loyal following, for good reason.

renatoa
When I get a Huky, I get a wonderful masterpiece of hand crafting, while this pile of tin, to assemble yourself... don't inspire value, don't let me wrong...
Anyway, I can roast 800 grams for far less money, if we talk about crafting myself.

allenb
When I get a Huky, I get a wonderful masterpiece of hand crafting, while this pile of tin...

Pile of tin? While I will agree some may find spinning some screws to get their roaster assembled distasteful, calling it a pile of tin is a little harsh. People are routinely diy assembling a good portion of their furniture and sports appliances these days from whole office desks, book shelves, bicycles, you name it so diy kit assembly isn't a dis qualifier to most. As far as value for the money? The Huky and DIY 002 are miles apart. For just one example, the DIY 002 is an insulated, double wall design with construction features similar to how a serious shop roaster is constructed and that would be just the beginning of the differences.

In watching the youtube video, it looks like a very well engineered and thought out design. If I hadn't already built my 1 lb drum from scratch, I would seriously consider this roaster.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
Sorry, would not mean to be disrespectful, surely language barrier.
All my roasters you see listed in my signature are DIY or the commercial models are heavily modified.

Probably the issue is from the great degree of details he give when presenting the "pile of tin" :)
When you see the presentation of a Huky, you see a shining final product that inspire me a Harley Davidson.
When I see him mounting the DIY 002, I see the "insulated, double wall" as a piece of insulating ceramic fiber costing $4, (just bought 1.5 sqm these days for my future roaster, cost was less than $20), and another piece of tin that probably would cost ME less than $5 to supply, ready cut, bent and holes done.
So, adding the parts I think the total cost of DIY 002 is maybe less than 1/4 of the asked value. 400% profit is too much for any market. sorry.

snwcmpr
One of the 'rules' Ginny had was this.
If you don't own something you can't bash it.
After I sold my HT, I couldn't say anything bad about it.

I think this applies here.

roar
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
Maybe for forum users not having jobs related to engineering...
And with this I am out !

snwcmpr
From a very old thread. Edited version.

ginny wrote:

I have asked most members to not bash other roasters they do not own.

--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

allenb
Rentoa posted: Probably the issue is from the great degree of details he give when presenting the "pile of tin" :)

I'm sorry for not realizing that he had used the term "pile of tin" in his write up of the roaster. I had assumed you were using the term as a pejorative against it being a pile of metal with little value but such was not the case.

As far as his price point versus product delivered. I will agree it seems steep when comparing what is delivered with a fully functional North 500 gram drum roaster complete with controls. So your point on this is valid.

Please continue to contribute to our forums, we need all we can muster!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb

snwcmpr wrote:

One of the 'rules' Ginny had was this.
If you don't own something you can't bash it.
After I sold my HT, I couldn't say anything bad about it.

I think this applies here.

roar

Everyone is welcome to post criticisms of products they don't own as long as it is constructive, accurate and serves a purpose. This helps all of us to make buying decisions. Ginny's concern was to discourage people from making negative comments about a roaster without it serving a purpose.

Allen

JackH
Any idea what the price is? I am guessing the shipping will be very high too.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb

JackH wrote:

Any idea what the price is? I am guessing the shipping will be very high too.

I'm seeing 50,000 NT which converts to around $1600.00 without shipping for the base model without trier or other enhancements. Not sure what shipping would be.

Allen

hankua
I have the shipping price, not with me at the moment: @$165 usd by EMS air I think.

And the roaster price, same notebook. The pricing part is a tad complicated in that PayPal is going to charge the seller a fee, and hopefully would accept payment in usd. Otherwise the buyer would be on the hook for PayPal exchange rate fees/charges.

One important aspect of the design, it uses a perforated drum and the optional solid drum still has scattered holes as well.

renatoa
For me the quote was $1800 + $152 shipping to EU + $35 bank fees, no word about PP.

JackH
I was just wondering the price range for something like that. I think I will keep my KKTO Turbo roaster. It meets my needs for now.

I do like the bolt together design of this DIY 002 roaster. One of the big stumbling blocks for me building a drum roaster is the welding and having machinist experience or a friend who owns a machine shop.
Edited by JackH on 03/10/2017 4:58 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

hankua
Glad we're having some discussion on the DIY 002. Is anyone interested in reading Sonny's blog? He would fit right in on this forum, with all the tinkering around he and his friends are doing.

When I was there a friend had a fluid bed hack under his roaster for an experiment. That's why I gave him a plug here; nothing to gain for me, don't own one or looking to buy.

I've seen it in person, and it's on a different level than a Huky (which I've owned since 2013). A base Huky is a great deal, but if you buy every conceivable option it's gets pricy. A complete machine is well, complete. Chinese Roaster are much less expensive than Taiwanese roasters, that's a different discussion. So yeah you can get a 300-500g Chinese roaster for about what a Huky with accessories goes for.

I've never had my Huky apart, but I can report it's a cinch to take the 002 down and re-assemble. If your the kind of person who likes to mod that's a big plus. It's still a home/hobbyist/experimentor's machine, not designed for continuous use. That's basically where I draw the line between hobby and pro coffee roasters.

The appeal is kind of limited, and if someone is an owner chances are continued involvement with the builder is possible. Just a guess, I've had no problems communicating.

walt_in_hawaii
I requested a price quote as well. Mine came in at $1800 USD and is current as of about 2 weeks ago. Shipping to Hawaii from Taiwan was quoted at $181. They also charged a bank processing fee of $35. I ended up buying a Kaldi Wide, about $525 from the evil bay. The pictures of the DIY looked like it was a nice product; but the Kaldi at about 1/4 the cost is so far turning out pretty nice. Quality is excellent. I just got my TCs in the mail and about to try my hand at drum roasting this weekend...

RedAce
I asked for a quote as I find the set very nice. But it came in for $2000 for the base model. Which seem very steep to me. The maker said it can roast 600-800g of beans but based on a YT video, the 800g limit is IMO overstated. So it is not that much bigger than the Kaldi Fortis and it costs $600 more. So I will be going for the Fortis most likely...

renatoa
Or consider building a TO based roaster, for the tenth ! of the money...
Not so scary as you could think...

RedAce
I currently roast on home-built Artisan/TC4-controlled fluid-bed roaster, so a TO build in definitelly not scary for me. But I am looking to move to a more traditional and profesional roaster (gas powered drum roaster with full heat/airflow control). I am not in a hurry to move there but I don?t want to get stuck halfway there with some DIY project just for the sake of lower cost and higher capacity.

Jump to Forum: