Print Thread
Enjoying my new B-2K+!
Randy
So of course my new roaster comes during my busiest work week of the year so far...13 hour shifts and getting home after 9 pm meant it stayed in the box for nearly a week thumbdown
So I finally got to open the box and try it out. Ginny (I name all my beloved appliances) replaced Thor for the most cherished spot on the counter. For the actual roast I moved it to the stove under the vent fan. A little intimidated by all the bells and whistles, I chose to do an auto roast until I got more familiar with the machine (remember, I'm coming from a whirley pop to this roaster).
I've done three roasts so far on the auto and needed to eject the beans early for every roast...one Columbian and two Guatemalan. So far the roasts have been excellent and I'm ready to move away from auto roast and try my hand at manual.
I noticed some comments about the glass getting brown very quickly and limiting view...I find that a paper towel dampened with water cleans the glass really quickly after each roast if the cover is still a bit warm.
I'm nowhere near being ready for the software but I'm having a blast and my coffee is pretty much chaff free with no intervention on my behalf...I love it!woohoo
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

jkoll42
That's awesome Randy! Keep us posted
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

DaveInWoodland
I'm thinking of a B-2K plus as a replacement for my long in the tooth Behmor 1600 that I upgraded to a plus. From what I've been able to determine they recommend a max of 8 ozs on the hottop.

From what I can find on various online reviews the comments on the hottop are mostly favorable overall. Did you upgrade from an older hottop or was this your first one? Thanks!!

turtle
I know you are asking the OP who may not see your question since this topic is a little old.

I have both a 1600+ and a B2-K+ and the hottop is a much nicer to use as it allows complete manual control over the roast and a nice fan bean cooling tray.

I've had my hottop for around 5 years. Starting out as an old standard B model which I modified to what hottop did with the B2-K+.

When the old, no longer available, B model control panel died, I purchased an B2-K+ kit and upgraded the roaster to the + model. I will have to say that I liked the mods I did better than what hottop did with the + model but since there was no other option (other than scrapping the roaster) I went with the + model upgrade from them.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised and satisfied with a new hottop model. Get the + one so that you have native USB output and can log and run the roaster from a computer running any of the roasting software that is available

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

DaveInWoodland
Thank you for the reply !!, much appreciated. That will help me decide. I was also contemplating going really crazy and getting a Millcity Roaster unit but at 3600 and change I think I'll stick with the HotTop ;)

DaveInWoodland
New HotTop B2K+ on the way, thanks for all the input.

rgrosz78

turtle wrote:I've had my hottop for around 5 years. Starting out as an old standard B model which I modified to what hottop did with the B2-K+.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised and satisfied with a new hottop model. Get the + one so that you have native USB output and can log and run the roaster from a computer running any of the roasting software that is available.

I followed a similar route. I started having problems with my old Hottop overheating, so I bought a new one.

I am pleasantly surprised by the difference between my 2012 modded Hottop B-2K and the new Hottop B-2K+. Based on my first two roasts, I get to first crack about 2 minutes faster (ymmv).

I posted several screen shots and details over at H-B:
https://www.home-...53004.html
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

Jump to Forum: