Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Pint jar's worth in #7 skillet
Redneck Packrat
Trying to get an "idiot proof" method. (Yes, I know, then they'll build a better idiot!)

I kinda half-ass roasted a batch in a #6 earlier this week. I characterize it as half-ass because it was a fly-by-seat-of-pants transition from a burnt-up air popper while trying to keep the beans from cooling too much before getting them into the pan. They turned out drinkable but nothing to write home about. I hadn't even done much besides graze a couple of youtubes on cast iron roasting before doing this; I was concentrating my learning curve on the air popper, and THAT went out the window with some funny-smelling smoke. So, I grabbed the nearest virgin skillet I had and put it on molten-lava size fire on gas stove and really probably insulted the heck out of the skillet by heating it so fast, then lowered the flame to medium and dumped the beans in from the still-hot (sorta) air popper and started stirring with a spatula. Just flew by guess and by golly and went to active rice crispy sounds. Still better than storebought!

Now, that story aside, I got all my ducks in a row this time and did it outside (under penalty of ....well, it was a harsh threat by the non-coffee-drinker I call my darling wife) on a camp stove, with a wire whisk, and actually had the colander and stuff handy.

Like I said above, I wanted to see what completely idiot proof would produce first, so I cranked the 7k BTU rated burner up to full speed and preheated to about 325 in the skillet, dumped in a pint jar less an inch headspace and started whisking. Got a first crack started in earnest about 10:45, and it leveled off and I think I was hearing 2nd when.....the sky opened up and gave me one of those 30 second tropical downpours! Figured I was well enough past 1st crack to make drinkable coffee, so I killed the burner and stepped back into the kitchen and kept stirring, it was still cracking, and gave it another minute or so before dumping in colander and continued stirring. A minute or two of stirring and I looked down and realized I should've been stirring OVER THE SINK. Floor was speckled with burnt chaff. Beans were cooled enough that I set them down under an open window and cleaned up the floor REALLY FAST before those harsh threats were put into play. (I hoped to get a pass on the smokiness because of the rain, and I did! But the mess, that would be another story.)

Long and short of it is, it made about 1.5 pints volume of roasted beans, which are in a quart mason jar with a lid loosely screwed on it and placed into the coffee cabinet. (*That's the one wall cabinet that has nothing but cups, coffee, and so forth in it, and is only opened for coffee-making purposes. An aside is that I hide my wife's birthday/Christmas presents in there, since she never has a reason to go into that cabinet.)

I'll follow up with a reply when I taste it and see what kind of mess I made out of the beans.
Redneck Packrat attached the following images:
march_8_17_cooling_down.jpg march_8_17_start.jpg

#8 CHF cast iron chicken fryer.
Hand crank burr mill.
Speckleware percolator pot with no guts.

Low tech coffee

Redneck Packrat
Tastes like cardboard steeped in lukewarm tap water, then heated. Maybe it hasn't rested too long? I sure hope it is, hate to have ruint a pint of beans. Oh well....still in my learning curve.

Maybe that cardboard flavor comes from not roasting long enough, too....??
Hand crank burr mill.

Low tech coffee

jkoll42
I love this post - a true representation of a roast gone bad!

From what you described and the pic I think the roast was so uneven that you never got all the beans out of first crack. Quakers (underroasted beans) will royally screw up a cup of coffee and wet cardboard is the taste. thumbdown

Generally 1C sounds more like a pop and 2C more like a snap - I'm guessing you were still getting 1C pops or some beans had made it to 2C while others hadn't made it to 1C
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JackH
You might want to look into the WhirleyPop popcorn popper.

https://www.amazo...B00608D66G

This is the stainless steel version with metal gears.

It has a lid so it will contain the heat better than an open skillet and you still get to hand crank it.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Redneck Packrat
That's exactly what happened, Jon. I went back with a size bigger skillet and a 7k btu camp stove on the back porch and ran a batch on up to 18:30, finally got to hear what 2nd crack sounds like, kinda like a fizz to my ears when it gets going.

That batch turned out really good. It's already gone now, the kids discovered it! (They're between 27 and 32 years old, so no....I'm not feeding preschoolers the good coffee! LOL)

Doing another batch this afternoon to see if I can duplicate the taste without having to have a rain shower at about 17:45 to alter the roasting characteristics ThumbsUp
Hand crank burr mill.

Low tech coffee

jkoll42
Nice!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: