renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Lets talk hardware choice for automation with Artisan
mick_in_oz
Hi everyone,

I'm doing homework for what is needed to build a drum roaster with automation, using Artisan as the software.

My goal is to have it self contained rather than having a notebook computer connected every time I want to roast. Ideally I'd be incorporating a tablet into the unit as part of the build, 10" or as much as 15".

Currently I know I will have two or three thermocouples, some sort of interface for these, the Fuji PID (PXD?) with the self learn running the electric heating, most likely IR Halogen tubes, and if needed a variable speed blower, also controlled by Artisan if need be.

The bit I'm having a little trouble sorting is the layout needed, as in could I run a Tablet and a thermocouple interface and little else, or do i need a TC4 or similar controller with everything plugged into this?

It seems there are many ways to skin a cat, so to speak, and I'd like a few options, or what everyone might consider the perfect choice to configure the roaster as I'd like, as I don't want to be changing the build several times.

I've seen very little in the way of using Artisan on a Tablet, or that's how it seems???

So, what does everyone think, or what do they like using most, and what have you had trouble with?

renatoa
Check the mobile roasting thread, you could have an answer, wifi roast controller ;)
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

mick_in_oz
Might need some help, maybe things look different from the other hemisphere...

I've found a thread from 2013 with someone creating an App for their Android phone to let them remotely monitor whats going on.

I then got bogged down going through the 38 odd pages of 2010 thread about datalogging and mention of bluetooth monitoring.

But so far not found anything that sounds like the thread you are trying to point me towards, *waves hand* help please...

renatoa
http://forum.home...post_63076

My bad, the thread title used handheld term instead mobile.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

mick_in_oz
Thanks heaps!

Not sure what I expected to find in the thread but it provided me with heaps more reading.

Would anyone like to comment on the following approach.

Arduino R3 UNO with inbuilt WiFi (A000133) and TC4 Shield, plus the usual zero crossing detector, SSR's and 3 or 4 Thermocouples.

The UNO should let me configure the WiFi to connect directly, with no need to use my home network. I gather any commands that would normally go via the USB port will now go via the WiFi.

I then need to find out if Artisan will run on a suitable tablet, thoughts?

greencardigan

mick_in_oz wrote:
I've found a thread from 2013 with someone creating an App for their Android phone to let them remotely monitor whats going on.

That sounds like my thread and android App. I still use it for all my roasts. It's definitely not a full replacement for Artisan but it can do full control of a TC4 and will also plot roaster temps and log data to a csv file.

Is Artisan a definite requirement?

mick_in_oz
Yes I'm sure it was your project.

Nothing set in stone to use Artisan, but I liked the sound of version 1.0.0 with the automation, recalling a profile and it following it, coupled with a self learning PID like the Fuji I thought this was a likely easy to use and robust approach.

I'm not an Android fan, I don't want to control the roaster from my phone, my phone is a Nokia with Windows anyways, I really want it as a stand alone thing with the tablet as part of it, but want the realestate on the screen to be able to manage the graphs and controls.

Am open to any other options if you want to suggest some.

I'm an electronics tech (two-way radio), I fix stuff, we don't do code, so setting up an Arduino and so on will be a fair bit of effort, but I'm happy to have a crack. It felt like the Arduino UNO and TC4 was a simple proven approach, and with the UNO now being available with WiFi on board it seemed a good choice that was a little easier to get going.

luma
Artisan is now releases a Raspberry Pi build, so another approach would be to use rPi headless and connect to it with a tablet via VNC.

mick_in_oz
Hi Luma, So, if the Raspberry Pi is running the software, and the Tablet is now a simple interface, does that mean the few comments I've read about needing a minimum amount of hardware to run Artisan without it running slow, should all be a non event?

And I guess the data logging ins't much effort as it should be quite a small file, so again isn't hardware demanding.

Thoughts?

renatoa
Is Artisan capable to draw graphics after the roast based on data stored in a Mastech USB thermometer and downloaded later ?

beanflying
Much as I have a TC4 shield coming from Jim at present I have a little side project on the go too :)

Code is at 300+ lines and climbing in complexity. ROR maths is just about done and strained my brain back to University and probability and sadistics ,Standard Deviation, sorting arrays and discarding error values to produce a smoothed but still accurate set of data. A simple curve smoothing algorithm tends to skew the curve in particular if the TC's are to noisy.

As to where this is going is yet to be seen but one of my hottops will be getting the TC4 fitted while the other will get a variant of mine as will my 1kg North.

Base hardware at this stage will swing to either the Wemos (wifi) version of the UNO or a MEGA with a Wemos shield. The Wemos UNO given a bucket load more memory and simple wifi looks great if it can be made handle enough inputs and outputs mine only arrived mid this week.

First step in the evolution will be a display similar to these photos below but maybe an LCD dot screen instead of the 2004 shown as a basic curve plot could be added even if not against a stored profile. Buttons (prototype only finished yesterday) and display fed from a multiplexed SPI (one block) and the MAX I2C chips (one per TC not multiplexed) for roast info on a shield on top of the micro then sending signals off to the power end of the system be it fets for the hottop, servo in the case of my North fitted with an air gate.

Like the original post the longer term aim is a 7" touch screen with all the bells and whistles saving CSV data and being able to import export that data as needed but I see that as a later evolution.
beanflying attached the following images:
2004display.jpg keypad.jpg

Edited by beanflying on 09/09/2017 1:39 AM
My name is Tim and I have a coffee equipment addiction problem :)

Two Hottops - modded
TJ 067 Electric 1kg 5+years old
Insert new 5-8kg Roaster here urgently BBQ grill

beanflying
Strange seems a later edit disappeared.

Hardware I see as the easy part and could be fairly much based on commercial shields and breakout boards if you wanted to go down that path. Plugging them together in the correct fashion creatively is still a little tricky but fun too.

Software to control basic switches and reading of the TC values is fairly straightforward and fairly simple code.

Integration into Roast Logger, Artisan or even the CS Monitor isn't to difficult as the software should be adaptable from the current great open sourced information out there. ThumbsUp for all that great work over the years.

Where it starts to get more complex as I see it on the software front is getting the Arduino to function as the roast controller/monitor/logger/profiler/safety. The maths of this and setting up a simple to operate Human friendly controller is going to take some time. It is not just a case of slap a bigger touch screen on the current project.

So starting from an PC integrated version of Arduino software with a few extra functions and then building it towards a standalone version seems to make sense. Even then having the option to use a PC or the standalone screen is sensible.

This weeks project is to tweak what I have from the MAX6675 TC chips to the faster MAX31855 and have a proper play with the WEMOS board.

Two Hottops - modded

renatoa
Did you checked the Roastuino package ?
Seems the best integrated overall, imo...

renatoa wrote:

renatoa wrote:

Is Artisan capable to draw graphics after the roast based on data stored in a Mastech USB thermometer and downloaded later ?

Nobody ?

Edited by renatoa on 09/10/2017 1:26 AM

beanflying
I seem to remember the Roastuino as being a Uni project of some sort with no ongoing development? Doesn't mean it is a bad thing to look at either.

Part way into sorting out the code for the new max boards. Minor (at this stage) changing everything from 5v to 3.3v logic. I may go back to 5v but then a level shifter would be needed for these chips.

Two Hottops - modded

renatoa
If you open a SSR inside you will find something like this schematic:

http://www.electr...-Relay.jpg

The two main parts, the optocoupler and the triac cost under $5, so the DIY idea could spark in someone mind ;)
I was forced to find that everything is so simple when one of my SSR burnt and I was in a hurry to replace. Guess what I also found during this incident... that the most popular chinese SSR, sold as 40A SSR, has inside as main and only control element a 16 Amps triac...
Well, back to controlling such SSR... the MOC3021 optocuplor input can trigger as low as 1.2V, so not triggering at 3.3V is suspicious and call for an investigation...

beanflying
I would agree on the 3.3 vs 5v thing and it may make more sense to run 5v and do a level conversion for the 31855's or spend the extra and go the 31856's as they handle 5v and have a bit more internal filtering.

The MUX doesn't care either way and neither do the buttons and LCD display so the voltage choice is more about the sensors and the outputs for controls.

Had an initial play with the Wemos/Uno and doesn't love my ancient Thompson WiFi router in the house but seems to be fine with my sheds EOP Dlink off the Thompson ...... Got it currently uploading sketches and pinged etc.

WiFi isn't essential IMO more about the potential of the features available if it can be made work reliably.

Two Hottops - modded

beanflying
Had a look at costings of the 31855 vs the 31856 and until their usage goes up or the Chinese copy the chip thumbdown the 31855's the way to go with a level shift back up for the power end.

Level shifting breakout boards btw are $0.50 each for a 4 channel one of evilbay and will handle 150mA per channel so it solves the Arduino current limit issue too.

So 3.3V board (Uno or Wemos), MUX for display (pixel based of some sort) and buttons, 2 or more MAX31855 TC chips and back out via a level shifter to 5V for the Power end. At least this is the plan when I am not playing (researching) Duinopong on a little TFT display Grin

Two Hottops - modded

Jump to Forum: