Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Control for drum roaster
BobbyS
Does a drum roaster respond fast enough for PID control?
Ringo
Yes, most commercial drums have pid control. This is an update I want to make to my drum someday. I believe I could have more consistent results with pid.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
renatoa
Be careful to evaluate if a roaster is really a drum roaster... the presence of a drum don't make it automatically a drum roaster.
The true nature of a roaster is the predominant source of the heat.
Could be hot air, and drum only an agitation method. In this case is a convection roaster, and air temp response to PID is very good.
DIY: TO based IR 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes, Kinu M38
Gaggia Mini, Aeropress, drip
BobbyS
thanks!
BobbyS
I'm just gonne keep these questions in this thread instead of making a new one.

Question: for a 1k to 2k roaster, how big of a blower would I need. I have my eye on a round pan, 18 inch dia. for a cooling tray
dmccallum
The San Franciscan SF-1 uses a 130CFM blower. I intend to use this one for my build - https://www.grain...plit-3FRG2

The SF-1 uses a single blower for both roast draw and cooling tray and switch via a gate/valve.

You might get away with less, but assuming San Fran have it right.
BobbyS
good to know dm, thanks! I have a 227cfm that I am going to use for the cooling tray. I think I will give it a shot to use it for both too.
Jump to Forum: