Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Would Ceramic bricks or Lava Rocks generate IR?
scarter11
Coming back to coffee roasting after a long, long hiatus. :-) Have a quick question. I have a new grill to use for my drum roaster, and was thinking of replacing the metal tents with either ceramic bricks or lava rock to even out the temp across the drum surface. But I've seen that many IR grills use gas to heat ceramic. Would ceramic bricks or lava rock generate IR waves?

Thanks,

Scott

coffeeroastersclub
Don't bother with the lava rocks, ceramic bricks, etc. That is old school and adds time to your roasting and still doesn't address this issue directly. Best way is to buy an IR thermometer and scan the outside of the grill around where the burners are and adjust for any hot spots that way. Instantly you will see whether a particular burner is too high, or low, and then you can adjust. Do it throughout your roast.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

renatoa
Or IR inside drum, direct to beans ;)
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

scarter11
I don't know yet if there is an issue with individual burner output. I like the idea of heating the drum and then taking temp readings along the surface and adjusting each burner so that I have a uniform temp across the drum. There are no openings in my drum that would allow me to use a laser thermometer to get bean temp during the roast, but I think I have devised a way to get a bluetooth thermometer inside the drum sending readings to my phone. This one would do the trick:

https://www.walma...r/55555949

turtle
One thing I have done with my grill is to replace the factory/stock regulator with one that has an adjustable output.

These are mostly used for outside cast iron wok burners and are adjustable from a small flame to a rocket engine. The one I uses is 0-60 psi.

This extra heat availability allowed me to convert my charbroil with solid CAST burners to a lava rock set up and it has made this beast the finest outdoor cooking device I have ever used.

I have never roasted coffee on my grill but I can tell you, one of the adjustable regulators will give you all the horse power you might ever use.

It also might burn your grill down or cause the burners to burst/fail..

If you do run with an adjustable regulator never leave your grill whether roasting coffee or burning meat.

Never use your grill near your home or any flammable/combustible material.

Make sure your grill is capable of handling the extra pressure i.e. you have NEW heavy duty solid cast burners, not the flimsy pressed thin ones.

www.bbqparts.com/pics/24901-3pak.jpg

More info on adjustable regulators

https://gashosesa...rfacts.php

https://www.amazo...B007PS0938
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

scarter11
What is the psi of el-cheapo low pressure ones that come on inexpensive grills? Would a 30PSI make a big difference?

scarter11
It's funny... when I read your post about the new high pressure regulator and cast iron burners, I immediately envisioned Adam from Mythbusters describing the sound of a rocket they were using...

turtle

scarter11 wrote:

What is the psi of el-cheapo low pressure ones that come on inexpensive grills? Would a 30PSI make a big difference?

Most are 10 psi.

allenb

turtle wrote:

scarter11 wrote:

Most are 10 psi.

Every propane BBQ grill I've ever owned or worked on had a fixed regulator set at 11" H2O which is somewhere around .397 psi. which is less than 1/2 psi.

30 psi is a wee bit of an increase!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

turtle

allenb wrote:

turtle wrote:

scarter11 wrote:

Most are 10 psi.

Every propane BBQ grill I've ever owned or worked on had a fixed regulator set at 11" H2O which is somewhere around .397 psi. which is less than 1/2 psi.

30 psi is a wee bit of an increase!

Allen

Thanks for the correct details.

I know that the factory regulator on my charbroil commercial was so low that I could not get enough heat to cook with.

It was so bad that I shoved it under the stairs, covered it and searched out a used Weber Genesis 3 on Craigslist. I ended up getting one for free that needed a burner/grate rebuild.

turtle-web.com/pics/food/grill/weber4.jpg

I used that for years before getting an outdoor wok burner which came with an adjustable regulator and that sent me on my quest for one for the Charbroil.

Once I located them and installed it on the Charbroil I could get the flames to rise up 3 feet or more above the grate surface when the regulator was set to full open.

This additional capacity allowed me to set up a low grate and use lava rocks to cook on.

With the factory regulator, heat up time was 30-45 minutes and even that did not give me a hot surface to cook on.

With the high pressure adjustable regulator, I am at 12-15 minutes WITH lava rocks between the flame and cooking grate.

My grill DOES have cast iron burners, not the thin pressed metal ones so I feel moderately comfortable with this modification. I still NEVER leave the grill unattended.

I've since re-located the modified Charbroil up on the deck and retired the Weber.

turtle-web.com/pics/food/grill/smoker-location.jpg

Upgrading the regulator was the best thing I've done for improving my outdoor cooking experience.

I should say that I would NEVER do this on a grill like the Weber which uses thin metal burners

If I take the Charbroil apart to clean it, I'll photo the cast iron burners but until then the best I can find is this line drawing of what they look like. They are sort of a modified flavor bar system where the flavor bar is an integral part of the cast iron burner

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/413oXlD9HKL._SX466_.jpg
Edited by turtle on 10/27/2017 10:06 AM

scarter11
With that kind of power, I would not have to try to insulate every inch of my grill to increase efficiency. Also, could have vents to remove smoke from grill during the roast.

allenb

I know that the factory regulator on my charbroil commercial was so low that I could not get enough heat to cook with.

It was so bad that I shoved it under the stairs, covered it and searched out a used Weber Genesis 3 on Craigslist. I ended up getting one for free that needed a burner/grate rebuild.

I feel your pain! I bought a new charbroil grill 3 years ago thinking I could use it when it was too cold to fire up the green egg. At full throttle in the middle of summer, all burners on high, it behaved as if I had placed a 1500 watt heatgun under the steaks and was cooking with hot air. Unfortunately, most propane grills these days, due to various code restrictions, are woefully under powered compared to what was available up to the early 1990's. Most propane grills these days are basically convection heated and have little to no infrared heat transfer which is necessary for good results with any meat grilling.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: