Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need some feedback on a school project for roasting coffee
petereps
Hello everyone.

I've been home roasting coffee for about 4 years on an old HotTop I bought years ago. I am currently in school studying software engineering, and for one of my school projects I wanted to make something for roasting coffee. I realized that there was no good roasting "journal" style app for logging roasts by hand. Since I can't afford fancy roasting software to track my roasts, I thought I'd make a basic roasting note taking app that also creates a profile of the roast.

Since coffee roasting is such a niche hobby, I'm having a hard time finding users to give me some feedback on what they like/don't like. If any of yall could try out the app and let me know what you think, I'd really appreciate it! The app is called "Coffee Keeper" and its on the google play store. Here's a link: https://play.goog...ngroasting

Hope I'm not spamming, just genuinely want to improve the app and use it as a learning experience. And it's not exactly easy to find coffee roasters to try it out without reaching out. Thanks!
Edited by JackH on 01/24/2018 4:58 PM

greencardigan
Hi and welcome to the forum Welcome

I'm happy to have a look at it and provide feedback. I probably wont use it for a real roast as I currently control and log my roasts on my own android app.

BenKeith
Looks like a pretty good note book, for a lot better notes than I keep.
I use greencardigan's program he developed, aArtisanQ_PID and RoastLogger with RoastLoggerTC4 for logging and controlling my roast. Anything outside of those, I have a messy note book that gets notes written in it that seem to mean nothing to me a few months later.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/24/2018 6:34 PM

greencardigan
I had a look at the roast logging tab and think it is great.

I'd offer the following comments / suggestions.

- Whenever the back navigation arrow is pressed it goes back to the brew tab. It would be nice if it only went back to the main roast tab.
- The column heading text is wrapping to next line in the steps table when my device is in portrait orientation. See screenshot attached.
- You have a button called Add Roast. Maybe better named Save Roast?
- For each step it would be nice to have the option to flag the step as First Crack, end of FC, second Crack etc.
greencardigan attached the following image:
screenshot_20180125-101154.jpg

petereps

greencardigan wrote:

I had a look at the roast logging tab and think it is great.

I'd offer the following comments / suggestions.

- Whenever the back navigation arrow is pressed it goes back to the brew tab. It would be nice if it only went back to the main roast tab.
- The column heading text is wrapping to next line in the steps table when my device is in portrait orientation. See screenshot attached.
- You have a button called Add Roast. Maybe better named Save Roast?
- For each step it would be nice to have the option to flag the step as First Crack, end of FC, second Crack etc.

Really appreciate the feedback. A few users also suggested a "quick add" style option when adding steps to a roast that include fc, sc, start, etc. I'll implement that this weekend. Great idea. And I'll also look into formatting the table better so it doesnt wrap. Thanks!

Jump to Forum: