renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
HotTop Roaster B2k+ Early First Crack
ctilley79
I received my roaster in December of 2016 and was one of a few customers who reported first crack occurring in the 238f-245f range. I sent my roaster in and they determined that this was normal. It was a little disappointing knowing the analysis I received from them was just plain bad. So I've pretty much dealt with the issue for the last year.

My purpose of this thread is to follow up to see how others have attempted to solve the problem. Has HotTop ever acknowledged the problem? Are there any firmware updates to this machine? Have there been any good workarounds? Did anyone try replacing the thermocouples with more accurate ones for example.

Randy G
iirc, the B2K+ as documented in the addendum manual states that 1st should be about 368F when the bean temperature display turns brownish. The "drying period" ends at about 305F when the beans go from green to tan.

If this temperature is from the display on the machine when NOT using Artisan (not connected to a computer), and you are using common beans (regular, caffeinated, fresh greens which smell somewhat moist and grassy when you get them) and are roasting the recommended 225 to 250 grams, then there is something odd going on here. 240 is just barely over the boiling point of water. No where near a roasting temperature for coffee (or much of anything else).

There is no firmware update possible.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

ctilley79

Randy G wrote:

iirc, the B2K+ as documented in the addendum manual states that 1st should be about 368F when the bean temperature display turns brownish. The "drying period" ends at about 305F when the beans go from green to tan.

If this temperature is from the display on the machine when NOT using Artisan (not connected to a computer), and you are using common beans (regular, caffeinated, fresh greens which smell somewhat moist and grassy when you get them) and are roasting the recommended 225 to 250 grams, then there is something odd going on here. 240 is just barely over the boiling point of water. No where near a roasting temperature for coffee (or much of anything else).

There is no firmware update possible.

I guess I should have pushed the issue more. What do you suggest at this point? It sounds like a defective thermocouple. I?d be willing to buy compatible aftermarket ones if you can recommend one.

Randy G
I have no idea about what aftermarket thermocouples might work.

renatoa
What is the TC type is wrong ?
J instead K, or similar mismatch ...

Randy G

What is the TC type is wrong ?
J instead K, or similar mismatch ...

This is a factory-equipped roaster using their own K thermocouples (thus the "B-2K" labeling in the model name) which I was told are all calibrated at the factory.

pablo
I had same early first crack problem when I first got my B2K+ . I was sent a new display panel by Hottop and and now first crack averages starting just before display turns brown. Don't know if original display had a problem or what but it changed .Display is easy to change .

Randy G

ctilley79 wrote:
I guess I should have pushed the issue more. What do you suggest at this point? It sounds like a defective thermocouple. I?d be willing to buy compatible aftermarket ones if you can recommend one.

Since they checked it under warranty, it is a known fault with your machine and Hottop should correct it.

Jump to Forum: