topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
01/29/2023 4:55 AM
Welcome, drygrounds and CarlHaberfeld,

renatoa
01/28/2023 5:42 AM
ramsamorrow, VirTERM and Columbia, coffee drink

allenb
01/25/2023 7:12 AM
Caver95 Welcome

renatoa
01/24/2023 1:59 AM
morningmelvindiaz1, upoverandbrew, welcome cup Waldroff and amano0928,

allenb
01/23/2023 6:06 PM
tkdrumr Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 1
kauphy

Total Members: 7,784
Newest Member: drygrounds

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Reassambling Otto Swadlo Roaster
wwwwviews
I am in the process of scrubbing rust from different components of this Otto Swadlo roaster.
I have two ceramic infrared burners from Diedrich that I plan to place under the drum in brackets and run a gas pipe through to the tank.

Other than that, I am pretty lost and new to the mechanics of a coffee roaster. What should I replace? What should I ensure exists or be certain to add to this old Austrian beast?

Thank you!
wwwwviews attached the following image:
img-1727.jpg
 
BenKeith
Don't know anything about your roaster but I do know a little bit about getting rust off and scrubbing/sanding is not the best way.

Now, the drum may be too large for anything you have but anything smaller than it, can be done.
Read up on this link I'm posting. It's very safe, the only chemicals involved is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. The most voltage you are dealing with is very well below hazardous.
After a day or so in this stuff it will all be bare metal. It does not remove any metal, but where the rust was, if deep enough, there will be pits, it doesn't restore rusted away metal either.
http://antique-en...ectrol.asp
 
btreichel
Hmm, I know where an old rusty royal is ...
 
groucho
Hello:

Quote

BenKeith wrote:
... do know a little bit about getting rust off and scrubbing/sanding is not the best way.

Agreed 100%.

But the problem with soaking large pieces is the obvious need of a 'holding' recipient for the chemicals. Many times a 200 lts. tank will not be enough.

And then, after you are through, you have to safely dispose of whatever you have used, not always an easy matter. This gets more complicated if the first time around the job does not get done and you have to repeat it.

That said, I've had great results with glass bead/sand blasting.

The main drawback is that you have to load your stuff on a wagon, take it to whoever is doing it and bring it back home once it is done.

But the results are really very satisfactory and, above all, clean.

Yours is a great find, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

BTW: I've found some information (history, restoration, etc.) that I'm sure will be useful to you.

https://jackcoffe...o-history/

and

http://ottoswadlo...gspot.com/

Cheers,

G.
Edited by groucho on 03/20/2018 7:00 PM
 
allenb

Quote

wwwwviews wrote:

I am in the process of scrubbing rust from different components of this Otto Swadlo roaster.
I have two ceramic infrared burners from Diedrich that I plan to place under the drum in brackets and run a gas pipe through to the tank.

Other than that, I am pretty lost and new to the mechanics of a coffee roaster. What should I replace? What should I ensure exists or be certain to add to this old Austrian beast?

Thank you!


Infrared gas burners have the potential for being difficult to achieve a hot enough air temperature entering the drum. Is there a reason you are not wanting to use the original Swadlo burner?

On your question of what you should replace or ensure exists or add, you'd need to shoot us some photos of the various parts of the roaster in order to answer that one. If the roaster has a lot of miles on it the drum bearings may need to be replaced or retrofitted to a modern flange ball bearing. Most likely, after the burner issue is settled, a good manual gas control valve or needle valve and pressure gauge may be needed in the event it is not already part of the roaster.

Looking forward to photos!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
 
homeroaster
I would not put the infrared burners under the drum. Bits and pieces of coffee and chaff would fall directly onto the infrared burner and Flame up, as well as all that crud degrading the infrared burner. I would Mount them on the side closest to where the coffee would be rotating up.
*********************
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homero...
http://www.facebo...EdNeedham1
*********************
 
allenb

Quote

Groucho wrote: BTW: I've found some information (history, restoration, etc.) that I'm sure will be useful to you.

https://jackcoffe...o-history/

and

http://ottoswadlo...gspot.com/

Cheers,

G.


Excellent photos of a Swadlo renovation project!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
 
allenb

Quote

homeroaster wrote:

I would not put the infrared burners under the drum. Bits and pieces of coffee and chaff would fall directly onto the infrared burner and Flame up, as well as all that crud degrading the infrared burner. I would Mount them on the side closest to where the coffee would be rotating up.


Ed, Does this Swadlo utilize a perforated drum?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Bellwether Roaster Drum Roaster (Store Bought and Commercial) 16 01/30/2023 3:33 PM
Android App: Coffee Roaster Free ROASTING SOFTWARE APPS 2 01/30/2023 10:32 AM
"Well tempered roaster" more feedback Roasting Coffee 34 01/20/2023 2:30 AM
HearthWare Roaster Value? JAVA TRADING COMPANY 8 12/28/2022 7:17 AM
Gas Fired Drum Roaster - Lets Build It Drum Roasters 48 12/23/2022 11:07 AM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2023 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX
Hosted by skpacman