04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,223
Newest Member: Paul Kalb

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cormorant Roaster
Moonshine
I had just placed an order for a Cormorant roaster.

It is in the same class as the Huky. Both are hand-made,both of similar capacity, both use the IR burner, but unlike the Huky, this is a self-contained unit. When I get it in, I'll post some feedback.

I will say right now however that the price was not at all what I expected for something made on the other side of The Pond.

Update: 6/15/2018
Johan Smal had packed it up on the 13th, and this afternoon, DHL had delivered a beautiful Cormorant roaster to my door. Rather than having it the default brushed stainless steel, I elected have it coated in RAL 5022 for an extra 80 pounds. This had delayed the build somewhat as the painter was out on vacation, but I did not mind. He did a beautiful job.

The packing of this roaster is very meticulous. Even the stenciled logo on the outside of the carton speaks of craftsman ship. More than adequate bubble wrap along with plenty of foam, but a really nice added touch for outermost protection was an extremely heavy duty cardboard that looks more like 1/8 inch particle board.

The craftsmanship on this roaster is very meticulous from the legs with the laser cut Cormorant logo, to the chaff collector, to the control nameplates on the chassis, to the build of the roaster itself. This is no factory job. This is the work of a true craftsman. He even sealed the drum. The only thing I have to furnish is the propane tank and a regulator for the tank. It also is helpful to have a small set of metric Allan wrenches. As far as plumbing is concerned, a rubber gas hose and a couple of clamps come with it, and I had to provide a 3/8 barb-3/8 tapered male. That barb was a very tight fit, so you might be a little better off with a 5/16 inch barb.It will be less of a hassle putting on but will still be fairly snug. The band clamp will tighten it.

I ran a Monsooned Malabar, a Tanzanian Peaberry, and a bean from a small cooperative in Honduras. All three, I hit first crack at 10 minutes after dropping the beans at 200 C
Edited by Moonshine on 06/16/2018 6:31 PM

renatoa
Seems they found an investor, because I see they cancelled the KS project.
KS starting price GBP 985 was indeed nice to pay for this machine...

Moonshine

renatoa wrote:

Seems they found an investor, because I see they cancelled the KS project.
KS starting price GBP 985 was indeed nice to pay for this machine...

Well, it is going to cost me a bit more than that, especially since the conversion rate is a little wider since I placed the order, but I think it will still be worth it. I like to help out a fellow small businessman/woman when possible.

mikemaddux

Moonshine wrote:

Update: 6/15/2018
Johan Smal had packed it up on the 13th, and this afternoon, DHL had delivered a beautiful Cormorant roaster to my door.

How's it going with your C600, Moonshine?

renatoa
He is too busy with the new beautiful toy :)
Huky is dead, long live the new under 1 kg king !

mikemaddux

renatoa wrote:

He is too busy with the new beautiful toy :)
Huky is dead, long live the new under 1 kg king !

I'm guessing you're right about Moonshine, renatoa!

I placed an order for a C600 a week ago, hoping for a September shipment. I wonder if anyone else on the forum is interested, since there's very little discussion.

I realize the Huky forum has shut down, but the Huky is still kicking, isn't it?
It seems to me like a pretty wonderful machine in its own right.

Moonshine
Greetings. You are correct, I have been roasting. I have also been busy with our VBS program at Church, and following up on possible job prospects. I got hit in a layoff a couple of years ago, and it looks like the labor market is getting so tight that potential employers are giving a 55 year old telecommunications nerd another look. Here is a short video I made of the roaster in action, and a picture of the roaster stowed away on it's cart.

https://www.youtu...ture=share
Edited by JackH on 07/18/2018 4:17 PM

mikemaddux

Moonshine wrote:

Greetings. You are correct, I have been roasting. I have also been busy with our VBS program at Church, and following up on possible job prospects. I got hit in a layoff a couple of years ago, and it looks like the labor market is getting so tight that potential employers are giving a 55 year old telecommunications nerd another look. Here is a short video I made of the roaster in action, and a picture of the roaster stowed away on it's cart.

https://www.youtu...ture=share

I had to look up VBS!

Thanks for the great video! How did that batch taste?

Good luck on the job.

Moonshine
It's very good across the drip, French Press, and moka pot brew spectrum. I think it will also do very well on a cold brew preparation.

Jump to Forum: