Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Perf plate question
JSA Coffee
What would the perf plate look like for a glass RC of almost 8 inches in diameter? One central inlet port in the middle, or spread out over most of the bottom?

renatoa
Or the third, a lateral inlet and an asymmetrical approach...
Or a rotating perforated disk, creating a pseudo-vortex...
Or 3-4 blowers sending sequential/random pulses of hot air...

For the central inlet approach you should add a funnel to bring the peripheral beans in the hot air column.

What glass is this so big ?

JSA Coffee
[url]http://www.ersatzzylinder.de/de/Ersatzglaeser-Wuerstchenwaermer-3/Ersatzzylinder-Wuerstchenwaermer-270-mm-Ersatzglas-6-12.html [/url]

This is what I am looking at. I was building a fluidbed roaster based on RoasterRob, but after I was unable to to move more that 2 pounds, I decided to start small and go up from there. I have put together a working Bake-A-Round using OGH's build. Now I am looking to take the next step, using this glass. It's not as tall as it needs to be, but the diameter seems good.

renatoa
Is tall enough, imo, you can extend with stainless steel pipe for exhaust.
Volume is 7.5 litres, so 1 kg should be 1/4 of glass height.

JSA Coffee
Asymmetrical is the path I will try first, since I want to end up with a 5 pound roaster. The hard part for me will be the perf plate. Would I want to use a funnel approach, and block off half of the perf plate to force the air up one side, or would I be better off having an asymmetrical funnel made?

renatoa
In this case that glass will be just a part of the roast chamber column, for beans evolution monitoring.

Are you aware that 5 lbs requires about 10 kW of electrical power ? Is this available in a typical household ? Probably you will need three phase power.

Fluid bed isn't the only way to roast without touching metal , if this is what worry you ;)
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

JSA Coffee
For this, my heat source is going to be a sievert 2942 torch to eliminate the power requirement. I am not the least bit worried about metal contacting the beans. It will all be stainless steel. I'm pretty sure I have enough blower to move the beans.
My problem will likely be perf plate and the angle of the ramp. Do the same rules apply when the roast chamber is round versus square as to size of holes and perf plate area?

galumay
I would use the RoasterRob perforated plate as a guide, I made a 150mm diameter roaster rob style, it does 2.5kg batches with no problems.

Have a look at my Rocquette Roaster thread in the building a roaster sub-forum.

Basically i used a 45? ramp and followed the guidlines for hole spacing and size.
Izzo Pompeii l HG- One l Caravel l KKTO

RoasterRob
The 2941(14kw max) burner will be fine for 5lbs. I'm roasting 6kg (13lb} batches with a 2941. I never got a 2942 to stay alight in a 150dia tube.
Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

JSA Coffee
Then that's what I'll end up doing for the perf plate. RoasterRob, should I plan on ordering a 2941 then? I'm guessing you tried just about everything to keep the 2942 lit?

RoasterRob

JSA Coffee wrote:

Then that's what I'll end up doing for the perf plate. RoasterRob, should I plan on ordering a 2941 then? I'm guessing you tried just about everything to keep the 2942 lit?

Yup. If it's 5lb ur roasting u don't want a 2942 (26kw @ 2bar). The 2941 is plenty. l'm reasonably certain that it's 7.7kw @ 2bar & 14kw @ 4bar.
A 12lb sivetz roaster is 16kw electric. I'm doing 13lb roasts with the 2941 in winter in NZ. 7 to 9 deg C here in the evening when I'm roasting just got to keep the gas bottle at about 20C.
Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

Jump to Forum: