Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

05/14/2021 4:28 AM
Jun Park, happycamper, Fionakev, Welcome !

05/13/2021 1:08 AM
jspada, welcome !

05/12/2021 12:52 AM
jrccole0112, Welcome !

05/11/2021 2:53 AM
Welcome, Frisky turkey & Robb77 !

05/08/2021 6:42 PM
Quidgybo Welcome! beach

Community Spotlight
Brainiac
Posts Count:89

Halogen Radiant Roaster
Hybrid Air Roaster
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 10

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,185
Newest Member: Fionakev

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4+ Arduino coffee roaster shield (TC4-compatible)
czeffy66
I am a bit hesitant on where to connect the PWM 2A AC Light Dimmer Module into TC4+. The seller of the PWM module suggest one of the PWM output of the arduiono. If using this what code modification I would need for Artisan?
Can I still use the DC+ and DC- outputs? As I understand that this is for self powerring of the DC FAN by attaching the DC power supply to VIN and GND.
The PWM module is power from the arduino 5V instead. Would it work in a way that I do not attache any DC power supply, but use still the DC+ connected PWM and the DC- to GND of the PWM module? Thanks.
renatoa
Assuming you're talking about the RobotDyn module dimmer...

You want the dimmer module to drive what ?

Anyway, no modification needed for Artisan to use this board.

The PWM module don't need any power, the Vcc pin can be left unconnected for TC4, it is provided for other Arduino projects.
The typical usage of this board is:
- Gnd pin to Ground of Arduino.
- ZCD pin to the Arduino gpio pin used for ZC detection
- PWM pin to the Arduino gpio pin used for OT1 or OT2, depends what is your intended usage. Don't use tc4 OT1/OT2 outputs, those are for driving a SSR !
DC+/- are dedicated outputs for the fan, don't try using them for this module board !!!

First, answer us the introductory question, what is the purpose you want for module ?
Edited by renatoa on 03/16/2021 2:16 AM
mg512
Assuming you're talking about the module from Tindie that only takes a PWM signal as input (and doesn't have a ZCD output), you would usually connect that to the IO3 header. That would then replace the DC OUT screw terminal. You could still use the DC OUT header, but it would always be at the same power level as the IO3 header, you can't control them separately. (If you do want the PWM AC dimmer board, and the DC OUT header, both separately controllable, you could use another PWM pin on the Arduino.)

If you just connect the PWM AC Dimmer board to the IO3 header, and have the Arduino connected via USB, you don't need a DC power supply. But DC OUT won't work then, of course.
czeffy66
I am sorry I wasn't detailed enough, but I didn't want to bother you with a lot of details. A few years back I bought a
https://www.mechatronics.com/products/ac-motorized-impellers/UF250APA/ impeller for building a coffee roast cooler, but I never made it.
I thought I could use it as a both blower (lower speed, connected to the roaster column) and cooler (higher speed, using the suction side) in a arduino controlled fluid roaster. I bought
https://www.tindie.com/products/bugrovs2012/pwm-ac-light-dimmer-module-50hz-60hz/ suggested in
https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-controlled-DIY-Coffee-Roaster/.
Looking back again, I noticed that there was an explanation to connect to IO3 in this, that I overlooked earlier. It is really nice on TCP4+ board that the IO3 is a 3 PIN connection (IO3, GND, 5V), so all the connection needed is in one place for the PWM board (VCC, PWM, GND). The order of the PINs needs to be changed though.
Thanks for your explanation.
renatoa
This motor is an induction type, thus neither of TC4 control methods is appropriate to control its speed.
You need a variable frequency converter. Known also as VFD (Variable Frequency Drive)
Edited by renatoa on 03/16/2021 3:31 AM
czeffy66

renatoa wrote:
You need a variable frequency converter. Known also as VFD (Variable Frequency Drive)

I wasn't aware of that. THX.
ACEMBL
I made exactly the same mistake, purchased a single phase blower and thought I could control it with a dimmer. Schoolboy error on my part.

Because it’s single phase you will need a special single to single phase VFD, ATO make one - I’m sure others are available. The majority of VFDs are single phase input but control three phase motors. I’m mid learning curve at the moment Shock
renatoa
Or, better go on the paved way... universal motors, as those used in most vac blowers, much easier to control with dimmers or TC4 PAC.
PrehistoricPerk
Wanted to share my SR540 TC4+ conversion. I'll create a separate thread as well.i.imgur.com/nbZBQIJ.jpg

i.imgur.com/r4SDRpa.jpeg
Jump to Forum: