Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

11/21/2021 1:56 AM
Welcome, pimaCanyon and Chris Porter!

11/18/2021 3:29 AM
locotoro, ionpau and gougege, welcome cup

11/16/2021 12:53 AM
RidgevilleRoaster OH, _lg3, Yirgaman, Houncer and AgressivStreetLamp
welcome !

11/15/2021 9:57 AM
Welcome, jasper_8137, goldyy9 and Evermancg !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 11

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,361
Newest Member: RJ30

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Windows 7 can not see my new B-2K+
rgrosz78
I recently purchased a new Hottop B-2K+. I have two laptops that I use for roasting. I was able to get everything working properly under Linux Mint.

Just for fun, I decided to try setting it under Windows, but so far no success. I have read through and followed all the instructions. I read through two similar earlier posts about Windows problems, but there is NO solution / answer shown:
Hottop B-2K+ Problem
https://forum.hom...ad_id=5187

Can't get artisan to respond
https://forum.hom...ad_id=5285

There is only one port that appears in artisan (Config / Port), which is COM3. It does not change when I have the Hottop connected and powered on.

This clearly seems to be a Windows driver problem. I did install the FTDI drivers, and at one point artisan showed me something that looked like a Unix driver (/dev=) under the drop-down list. Another time, I saw something else that looked weird. I'll check and see if I can find any screen shots of those entries.

JackH
When you plug the USB cable into the Windows 7 computer, it should detect a new device connected. Do you see anything pop up? It might appear in devices and printers or the device manager.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

rgrosz78
Nope, that is the problem - never get a "new device found" notification. For some reason, Windows does not see the Hottop B-2K+ at all.

I tried using Device Manager, and did a scan for new hardware. But nothing happens.
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

btreichel
The newer versions of artisan don't support win 7.

renatoa
That's a shame... wondering what technical reason prevents this, Python should be as portable as Java.

rgrosz78

btreichel wrote:

The newer versions of artisan don't support win 7.

I don't think that is correct, since the artisan software runs fine under Windows with the older Hottop. The communication between artisan and the Hottop B-2K+ relies on the FTDI drivers:
http://www.ftdich...rs/VCP.htm

Even though I installed those drivers, Windows does not recognize the Hottop as a new device. I will install the "system update" utility from Lenovo to see if that resolves the problem.

rgrosz78

rgrosz78 wrote:
Even though I installed those drivers, Windows does not recognize the Hottop as a new device. I will install the "system update" utility from Lenovo to see if that resolves the problem.

Looks like the Windows 7 partition that I previously used for coffee roasting is corrupted. I simply need to restore from the original backup, and re-create it.

I could not install the Lenovo system update utility, since it needed a new version of Windows.NET framework. I tried to get that from Windows update, but the entire Windows update system is non-functional as well.

I then rebooted the machine into the production software environment that I use for work. This time I got an indication that Windows sees a new device, and I need to install the driver for it. But I will NOT bother to do that - I don't install anything on this partition that is unrelated to "real work".
rgrosz78 attached the following images:
ftdi_device_driver_-_production_partition.jpg windows_update_failed.png

rgrosz78
I restored from the 01/2017 backup, but it made no difference. Now I have to get the entire Windows update system working again ... this is why I changed to Linux for coffee roasting!

chaff
Lenovo laptop and Windows update, Im getting deja vu all over again. For me the cause of the failure was the log file ( I think ) growing to over 100GBy.
FTDI have form for doing nasty things to cloned USB-Serial chips; I understand there are people on this forum with much more experience with Hottop than I, it would possibly help if you could confirm that a genuine FTDI chip is used. That's not the same as telling you to install the FTDI drivers.
If you can find, somewhere on the system, Control Panel, device Drivers' Properties etc, fields that tell the THE VID/PID ( Vendor String, Product String ) after the USB is connected then you can verify from the web that a genuine chip is in play. Linux kernel never allowed the self destruct code in the driver to be included so cloned chips are less of a problem than on Windows.

rgrosz78

chaff wrote:If you can find, somewhere on the system, Control Panel, device Drivers' Properties etc, fields that tell the THE VID/PID ( Vendor String, Product String ) after the USB is connected then you can verify from the web that a genuine chip is in play. Linux kernel never allowed the self destruct code in the driver to be included so cloned chips are less of a problem than on Windows.

I can't see that information in Control Panel, because Windows simply does not detect the Hottop B-2K+ over the USB cable.

It is not worth wasting any time worrying about this anymore ... I'm happy to continue roasting on the new Hottop with Linux (no problems at all).

snwcmpr
May not help, but I have had trouble with different USB cables and Win 7. Try a different cable.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

rgrosz78

snwcmpr wrote:

May not help, but I have had trouble with different USB cables and Win 7. Try a different cable.

The original USB cable works fine with Linux, and with my "production partition" of Windows 7. I am 100% sure that Windows 7 is corrupted in my "production partition" on the laptop.

Jump to Forum: