Print Thread
Hot top roasting questions
COJames
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and a new B2K+ owner. This roaster and the Artisan software is pretty slick and will give me a lot more options than my SR 700. I only have a few roasts so far and have actually enjoyed making all the obvious beginner mistakes. Plus the coffee is actually drinkable if barely.

I have a couple questions. When you run a manual program why does the roaster change your heat and fan settings? Seems to me that is the point of a manual setting so that you make the changes manually.

If you save a roast in one of the 3 memories on the machine does the machine automatically follow all the fan and heat settings during the roast from that saved setting? I know this would seem obvious but the given the manual setting, well?

There is a button in Artisan for recording DE. I have no idea how to figure out when to record that event. I know Artisan can do it automatically and mine is set to record that event at 300 F. Is that a good temp? I am not really sure how many people actually look at ratios of the various phases. I could not do that with my old roaster.

Randy G
1 - For full manual mode, after the "add beans" signal sounds, set fan to first step. When the color of the temp indicator changes set it back to 0. Then set heat to 99, and when color changes to normal, sety ift back to 100%. That will cancel all programmed changes for the remainder of the roast. If you want to save this manual roast, do not add beans. Let the roast run for about five minutes then eject, save that in memory when prompted, and use that saved program in the future. Note that Hottop makes changes to programming and the saving may or may not work for this "full manual" program.

2 - The saved roasts run on a time priority and not a temperature priority. So , yes it will run but if the beans are different or the mass of the beans is different, it may not give the same results.

3 - I have not used Artisan is so long I can't help you with that one. When I was using it I used the "Alarms" function, and that was before he added it PID function.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

COJames
Thanks Randy.

rgrosz78

COJames wrote:There is a button in Artisan for recording DE. I have no idea how to figure out when to record that event. I know Artisan can do it automatically and mine is set to record that event at 300 F. Is that a good temp? I am not really sure how many people actually look at ratios of the various phases. I could not do that with my old roaster.

Most people consider 300F to be drying end (DE). By comparing roasts of various green coffees between roasters, the thermocouples in both of MY Hottop B-2K roasters seem to read about 20F lower than most. As a result, I record DE at 280F on my Hottop.

I don't pay attention to the ratios of the various phases. In general, I want DE to occur between 4 and 5 minutes after I load the green coffee.
Edited by rgrosz78 on 07/31/2018 8:14 AM
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

Randy G
There have been variances in the displayed event temperatures in various iterations of Hottops, even within the same model. So long as any event happens at approximately the same temperature for each roast,that is all you need. Unfortunately, that can make it difficult to compare roast profiles when speaking of temperatures.

rgrosz78
Randy, you are correct. I changed my earlier post to clarify that 280F seems to be correct for both of my own Hottop B-2K roasters.
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

Randy G

rgrosz78 wrote:

Randy, you are correct. I changed my earlier post to clarify that 280F seems to be correct for both of my own Hottop B-2K roasters.

Most of mine showed EoD BT at around ~300F or so. I seem to remember testing one lower than that. Same thing with the displayed temp at start of 1st and start of 2nd. The factory seemed to change the control panel programming at times. They became more consistent with the B-2K+ I think. Can't remember which models were more problematic in this regard. I think it was the B-2Ks.

Jump to Forum: