Print Thread
Poll: What equipment are you using to roast?
CigarSmokingMan
I use a Fresh Roast +8 and the ol' Heat Gun / Dog Bowl.

seedlings
The evolution:
Folgers (ground in the can!)
Millstone (ground at the store!)
Dunkin Donuts (ground in home!)
--------------dramatic step up----------------
The Roasterie whole bean
--------------moderate step up---------------
Poppery II - later modified
HG + drill/rotisserie (similar to TimEggers Soup Can)
HG + Breadmaker
2HG + Leaf Blower air roaster

CHAD

MarkBart
Started with FR+8, but found wife and I use too much coffee for 64gr roasts. Found CoffeeCrone.com and started with BM/HG. Changed equipment but still BM/HG. Breadman Pro/Milwaukee 8975-6 doing 1.5 lb per week. Correction, change that to 3 pounds per week.

Mark B. Midland, NC
Edited by MarkBart on 11/16/2007 9:34 AM

Brainiac
I use a home-built one pound (0.5 kilo) radiant drum roaster which will happily roast back-to-back batches all day long...

(uses 2 * 500 watt linear halogen lamps as heat source)

Brian

http://www.dbr.co...diant.html

seedlings
Nicely done Braniac. How long to 2nd crack in that stainless beast?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 07/28/2007 10:43 PM

Brainiac
Depends a lttle on the beans and ambient temperature, but typically 16 to 18 minutes

Brian

(chart of bean mass temperatures recorded with non-contact IR thermometer)
Brainiac attached the following image:
roaster_profile[325].jpg

boyntonstu
I do not see any need for a mod.

Cost was $13.25 plus thermometer.
boyntonstu attached the following image:
Heat Gun BM15 with  thermometer[413].jpg

Edited by boyntonstu on 08/12/2007 7:38 AM

seedlings
Hey, boyntonstu, is that a "Tool Shop" brand heatgun? It looks familiar and the price is similar!

CHAD

boyntonstu

seedlings wrote:
Hey, boyntonstu, is that a "Tool Shop" brand heatgun? It looks familiar and the price is similar!

CHAD

Yep!

Harbor Freight Tools $9.95 each on sale. (I bought a spare that is sitting on the shelf)

Since the nose of the heat gun protrudes only 1/8" beyond the aluminum cover plate and into the tub, it is well protected from excessive heat.

It has 2 settings; 650 and 1050 degrees.

The HG does the job of providing heat as well as some stirring.

The bread machine paddle keeps the beans in motion for roast uniformity.

I cannot see any reason to change this setup.

BoyntonStu

seedlings
That's what I thought! I've returned 3 of theses:6. From my experience they don't like to be held vertical. I guess it recirculates the heat. One time the fan started buzzing loudly before it died, but the other 2 times it just stopped altogether mid-roast, never to live again. I was fortunate on 2 of the incidents to be past the first crack, and could keep the roast. One time I had to dump a pound of pre-first crack out of my breadmaker and into a big pot on the stove to finish. Seemed to take forever...

So, keep your receipt! I have mine taped to the boxes. I currently have 2 and use both of them. The local Menard's hardware store keeps taking them back, so I keep returning them.

CHAD

nhroaster
I use a Whirly POP on a Turkey Fryer Burner, and cool over a fan w/ a colander. The Gears on the Whirley Pop have melted already (after 7th Roast) I now use my Cordless drill to turn the Agitator.

boyntonstu

seedlings wrote:
That's what I thought! I've returned 3 of theses:6. From my experience they don't like to be held vertical. I guess it recirculates the heat. One time the fan started buzzing loudly before it died, but the other 2 times it just stopped altogether mid-roast, never to live again. I was fortunate on 2 of the incidents to be past the first crack, and could keep the roast. One time I had to dump a pound of pre-first crack out of my breadmaker and into a big pot on the stove to finish. Seemed to take forever...

So, keep your receipt! I have mine taped to the boxes. I currently have 2 and use both of them. The local Menard's hardware store keeps taking them back, so I keep returning them.

CHAD

Do you shield the gun from the tub as in my setup?

AFAIK Vertical is OK.
Edited by boyntonstu on 08/14/2007 10:46 PM

FRBean
I use a six mesh basket 11 1/2 inch diameter 6 inches deep and a Brinkmann four burner gas grill. Center two burners. Have a second basket for cooling.
Everything is based on sight and sound.
Crude, primitive, but effective.

seedlings
FRBean we'd LOVE to see a picture of your setup! That sounds just great. I'm all about function before fashion.

CHAD

ginny
Gee my coffee roasting journey started out with the gift from hell...

an Original Fresh Roast.

I now use with regularity:

Hot Top
RK Drum # 33
Gene Cafe
as of yesterday a Behmor 1600
also a Fresh Roast 8

I had a rosto and gave it away fast, it blew chaff all over the place...

I have also used a iron skillet in the Grand Canyon and on the beach some of my finest roasts by the way!!

ginny

s:8s:8s:8

seedlings

ginny wrote:I have also used a iron skillet in the Grand Canyon and on the beach some of my finest roasts by the way!!

Dunno how's come them thar "by the seat of yur pants" type of roast'n 'r so dear to the heart, but them's shur is!

waiting for your Behmor review,
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
CHADS:

Had I never roasted coffee before I am sure my first results in a skillet would have been horrid.

It was totally seat of the pants and I can taste it today!!

ginny

GrinGrin noB)B) today

opus
1 cast iron pan. Dont plan on changing either.

seedlings

opus wrote:
1 cast iron pan. Dont plan on changing either.

Don't change for nobody, nohow.

I used a dutch oven to finish a roast once when my heat gun went out. I had about 3/4 pound of green coffee (well, it was tan by the time the heat gun died) and set off all the smoke alarms. How much do you roast at a time? How long to first and second crack?

Coooool.
CHAD

opus

seedlings wrote:
How much do you roast at a time? How long to first and second crack?

I guess I roast about 8-16 oz's at a time. I try to do the amount I will use up in x amount of days. Really havent measured it, but I will. Probably 5 mins to first and 10 mins to 2nd. I try not to go that long. I rather taste the coffee than the roasting itself.

Guess I'll have to time it next time. :/

dBndbit
Monster respect to all pan/pot roasters! Not being enough of an artist for REAL coffee roasting, here's a photo of my home-built. It's a thrift-store special with improved insulation, adjustable venting, beefier rotisserie motor, and a "high-lifter" drum. Details are slowly appearing on my website. It roasts 19oz of green into 16 oz at 2nd crack in about 15 minutes.
dBndbit attached the following image:
DSC01262-500[677].jpg

Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

mehhistory
FR8, Poppery II and a cast iron Dutch Oven. Donated the BM before I heard about modding it for roasting. I'd like to think it found a good home...
"In the vault, no one can hear you scream"

David
I love modified bread machines. So, FWIW, here is my interim roaster...until I finish the one with Alchemist!
I usually do about 20 oz pre-roast weight. First crack comes around 15 minutes, depending on ambient temperatures.

http://homeroaste...#post_3084
David attached the following image:
RedKettleRoaster[678].jpg

seedlings
dBndbit Jim, that's a great site you're working on. Very nice upgrades for your roaster! s:2s:2s:2

CHAD

SteveDiscusFlyer
Started with a FR+8, now use Behmor 1600. Love it. Just roasted 12oz of Ethopian Lummi's yumm

Jump to Forum: