Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Poll: What equipment are you using to roast?
Justin Marquez
1500 Watt Heat Gun + 8" wire mesh kitchen strainer + stainless steel salad bowl. The strainer has two little "ears" or "tabs" and a handle, so that it will sit unattended in the salad bowl.

I typically roast a batch size of about 320 grams greens (2 cups' measured greens is the actual batch load) to just before 2nd crack in about 12 minutes. These typically become about 3 cups of roasted, weighing in at about 270 grams.

My usual pattern is to roast two batches, one decaf and one regular, at a sitting. This takes a total of about 40 minutes, including set up, roasting, cooling, storing, clean up and put away. This usually lasts us for about a week for morning coffee and a couple of extra pots on the weekends.

Usually the decaf is one from SM's and the regular is one of the fine Guats from R. Dalton's (located in Houston, TX).
Safe Journeys and Sweet Music!
-----------------------------------
Coffee gear: HG/DB and RK Drum, Solis Maestro Plus, Cuisinart 975 Drip, Presspot, Aeropress and "cowboy coffee"

qajariaq
Hmm. Been a while since the last post to this thread, but I'll share my roaster anyway. B)

Currently using a mildly-modded Chefmate popper (1200W). Added glass chimney (from an oil lamp) and "tweaked" the heater thermostat. Depending on ambient temp it can hit second crack between 4 and 8 minutes. I would add fan and heater controls as well as a thermometer, but I've got bigger and (hopefully) better things in the works... B)

farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/3056441157_e678a0e172.jpg

BoldJava
I am strictly a plug and play guy. Use a Gene Cafe, with larger chaff collector, vented out the window with a 6' alum dryer vent. Backup (collecting dust) is a Nesco. I power up with a 20 watt Variac to keep voltage constant

Just let go of these 3:
^ FreshRoast 8 - too small
^ I-Roast 2 - too loud
^ Behmor - too inconsistent with larger beans so my taste; beans 'underdeveloped' in comparison to Gene

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 11/24/2008 5:38 PM
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

Jcpworld
I use the Fresh Roast +8 because I just started roasting. Yes, I am a newbie...

cfsheridan
Ugh--never posted here.

Main Roaster - Hottop P, which is about to be converted to datalogging B (parts arriving today).

Also have done 120+ roasts on a Behmor (which I break out for throughput if I need it. I have similar experience with B|Java--it wasn't giving me all of what I wanted on every bean.

Also have 2 Poppery 1's (used with Variac and PID at times) and a 1250W pumper, and two other modified poppers. I still break out the poppery to test air- vs. drum roasted flavors at times, and to keep my Poppery/variac quals current.

seedlings
Got a "new" breadmaker for Christmas from a fellow roaster. He wouldn't tell me what he paid for it at the Salvation Army, but I suspect it was a deal.

I took the sight glass out and used aluminum foil again for a seal against the heatgun

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/HGBM.jpg

This is my first breadmaker with the stirring paddle attached. I modified it a little so that beans wouldn't get stuck. See the TC probe coming in from the right, back. It just clears the stirring paddle:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/HGBM2.jpg

Finally, I cut a hole in the back corner to direct airflow out so that the lid would quit melting. It also helps get the chaff up and over the lip of the breadpan:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/HGBM3.jpg

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Clifford
Behnor 1600 and love it I also have FreshRoast+8 but have never used it
May the Force be with your cup

redeft
I use two methods, air popper and HG/Bowl. I've found that my air popper is a little inefficient as it tops out at about 205?C(401?F). I plan to modify the thermostat on it in the near future. My HG gets plenty hot but my roasts are coming out light. I currently have ~8# of Kauai Estate(started with 10#) that I'm trying not to ruin. Don't get me wrong, the coffee is coming out quite tasty, almost sweet just weak and thin. During my roasting tries I have not heard any cracking sounds and my times are way longer than I've read here. It could be due to bean age as the beans are 2.5 yrs old, but were kept vacuum sealed(original packing) and frozen at ~ -25?C(-13?F) but that's just my neophyte guess. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Redeft
Even instant gratification takes too long!

seedlings
Welcome, redeft! Do you have any "newer" beans to compare to?

CHAD

wbbh
My first post here, I currently use the SS bowl and a Miller heat gun to roast about a pound at a time. I use a drilled out SS bowl dropped into a 5 gallon bucket attached to a shop vacuum for cooling.

I started out about five years ago with a Caf? Rosto, retired it when it would not get hot enough. I have a Fresh Roast and a Hot Top, they work well but the heat gun is easier and produces enough for a week.

BenZCoffee
First post here.
I have a SC/TO set up and also an Ambex YM-2 for larger batches. I have used a frying pan, modified Poppery I, I-roast, Hottop.

I started getting busy roasting for customers (friends, family, friends of friends, friends of family) so I took the step up to an Ambex and have been very busy.

BoldJava
Big Ben, welcome budd. (No, I didn't find your Coffee Fest tag).

Ben and I are driving over to Ft. Atkinson to pick up the Peruvian on Friday. Order up.

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

redeft
Chad,
No newer beans as of yet. I am going to Costa Rica to visit family at the end of March. So I will be returning with as many beans as I can carry. I'll update later.

Thanks
Even instant gratification takes too long!

Koffee Kosmo
I think that most HR members know that I roast on my own design
Hybrid Turbo Oven coffee roaster

Emails requesting me to make ready to use units have been received.
I may be tempted to build them in kit form for the people that are not as good with ones hands

KK
Koffee Kosmo attached the following image:
img_5018.jpg

I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Clifford
I am happy with my Behmor(Itis not paid off yet) but am aware of shortcomings.

1. No internal bean mass thermometer

2. No ambient air thermometer for the oven temperature

3. Inconsistent roast results(unable to duplicate taste with same time after 1st crack)

4. Comments of others who have graduated to Gene or other roasters

Would appreciate advice from fellow roasters

I am planning to move to a small scale commerciakl roaster but I need to perfect my small scale operation first

Catt22
Started with a modified hot air popper

Next up was a wok on a propane cooker (turkey fryer)

Then onto a cast iron dutch oven on the propane cooker

Finally a Gene Cafe which I continue to use and enjoy.

The GC produces a very uniform roast with repeatable performance. I cool the beans externally using a wooden frame with aluminum window screen cover and a floor fan directed at the frame with the beans well spread out. The frame is 18" x 18" and the beans cool very quickly. I had a tendency to take the roast too far at first. Now I typically stop the roast very near the beginning of the second crack w/visual confirmation of color, smoke and smell. It seems that just as the roast reaches the second crack, the smoke increases dramatically and that's where I like to halt the roast if the color and smell indicators are in agreement which they normally are. No more black oily roasts since the early days when I had no clue about what I was doing.

mitica100
I'm about to start my first attempt. This is the rig I found on Craig's List for $30:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mitica100/Scan1.jpg
The drum seemed yellower and more copper-ish at first but cleaned looks like might be stainless steel.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mitica100/Scan2.jpg
Inside the drum there are three longitudinal fins for mixing the beans while drum is rotating. Picture was taken through the collapsible door of the drum.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mitica100/Scan3.jpg
A dual propane burner at the bottom.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mitica100/Scan4.jpg
And on top there is a removable galvanized steel cover for distributing the heat well around the drum (my guess).

The drum is rotated continuously by a 12V motor fed by a 110V AC to 13.8V DC converter.

I added the wheels to it so it's easier to move.
Edited by mitica100 on 05/16/2009 12:57 PM

karlo
I'm just using a Zach & Dani / Nesco at the moment, but I'm hoping to hotrod some bread machine & rotisserie parts together to make a small scale drum roaster. I like what I have now, but I'd love to be able to roast a pound at a time, and the bucks aren't around right now to splurge for a larger roaster.
flavors.me/karlfi...
'when our depravity meets his divinity it is a beautiful collision' ~crowder

seedlings

karlo wrote:
I'm just using a Zach & Dani / Nesco at the moment, but I'm hoping to hotrod some bread machine & rotisserie parts together to make a small scale drum roaster. I like what I have now, but I'd love to be able to roast a pound at a time, and the bucks aren't around right now to splurge for a larger roaster.

We love hot rodded anything associated with coffee! Welcome, Karl!

CHAD

John Despres
My current custom hotrod: fail. More later (with pictures, CHAD), but I baked a kilo of beans today.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings

John Despres wrote:
My current custom hotrod: fail. More later (with pictures, CHAD), but I baked a kilo of beans today.
John

I've been working off and on with a failure myself.

CHAD

Did you say a Kilo? Whew. I blew 1/2 pound!

John Despres
All told, I've hit first crack between 17 & 25 minutes with three 1 kilo batches, and two 1/2 K batches.

I thought I had it solved after some more noodling over night, but today brought another fail -- 1st crack at 17 minutes.

Lots to share on this project. I'll post it soon, once I get all the pictures set.

JOhn
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

JohnIII
I'm almost to two years with my first roaster, a HG/BM. Heat gun is a 1200w Ryobi with an added heat deflector. Bread machine is a Breadman with the top removed and a manual power switch and thermocouple added. I've done about 120 roasts in sizes from 4 oz. to 24 oz., most common size being in the range of 8-12 oz. Almost time to start roasting for holiday gifts.

I love the innovation you all bring to this hobby!
JohnIII attached the following image:
hgbm.jpg

karlo

seedlings wrote:

We love hot rodded anything associated with coffee! Welcome, Karl!

CHAD

thanks Chad. it's been sitting on the work bench for a few months now; problem was i had the design ideas, but not the electrical prowess to actually complete it. hoping that me new brother in law might be able to help me in that department (i like it when our family expands with smart people).
flavors.me/karlfi...
'when our depravity meets his divinity it is a beautiful collision' ~crowder

Clifford
I am very happy with my Gene. I am getting the hang of it and am able to do sequential roasts as I hooked a hose and vent outside. No discernible room aroma.

Jump to Forum: