Total Members: 7,173
Newest Member: SecondChild

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1-3Kg Fluid Bed Design
danthony
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share a design I have been working on for a 1-3Kg Fluid Bed Coffee Roaster. Any and all questions and comments are appreciated. Below you will find some pictures of the Solidworks model I created for it. The entire roaster is made from one 48in x 48in sheet of 11ga sheet metal.

Hope Everyone is having a good day.

https://drive.goo...lhiUYwjrnW
https://drive.goo...aKQBKQ-f91
https://drive.goo...6Pw_Vvj9Q3
https://drive.goo...Sxb[/mail]
Edited by JackH on 09/02/2018 3:07 AM
danthony
Trying to get an actual picture to show and not a hyperlink.
danthony attached the following image:
complete_roaster_1_1.jpg
allenb
Duston, welcome to HRO! Looks like you figured out the photo posting for our site.

Your design looks good to me. Shoot us your planned RC dimensions.

Something to consider is the side viewing window if your design will have the top ducted to a chaff collector and not have an open top to view bean agitation. If this is the case, you'll want to make the window much taller to be able to view bottom to top of the spout.

Keep the posts and photos coming!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
danthony
Good Morning,

AllenB thank you for the insight on the viewing window. I will make a change to my design to incorporate a much taller viewing window. What is everyone using for glass for the viewing windows on fluid bed roasters?

Here is a little more info on the design.

Roast Chamber is 30in tall and has an internal dimension of 5in.
The heater box is 28in tall and can be used with both propane and electric heat sources.
The first roaster will heated by propane using the Sievert # 2941 28mm Standard Burner

I designed the roaster so that all parts can be cut from one 48in x 48in sheet of 11 ga sheet metal and then be welded together. The roast chamber will then be bolted to the heat chamber using the table top as a solid foundation. All joints will use a nomex gasket that I use for my BBQ doors. I have sent the design out to a few places to get some quotes on having the parts laser cut or plasma cut.

I look forward to more questions and comments on the design.
danthony attached the following images:
updated_roast_chamber.jpg complete_roaster_2_updated.jpg

Edited by danthony on 09/02/2018 12:34 PM
allenb
Some have reported getting along well with regular plate glass as long as the glass is framed only in silicone rubber gasketing and can expand in all directions freely. Otherwise one needs to stick with borosilicate low expansion glass but you still need to be mindful of mounting it with the ability to expand but is much more forgiving.

From previous examples of others builds here, I seem to remember RoasterRob stating he topped out at a little over 2 Kg with a 6" round. You may find a 5x5 to not want to lift more than 2 Kg without seeing irregular spouting. One rule of thumb is to not take bean bed depth much higher than cross sectional dimension of the RC. Hopefully others with more intimate knowledge of larger FB roasters will comment on this.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Jump to Forum: