renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Is the NuWave pro a no go?
starbuxed
So I am new to roasting and building a roaster. But I got a few items from goodwill.

1. A presto 1440 watt air popper, which will be my first roaster.

2. stir crazy 2

3. nuwave pro oven. only goes to 350F

But my question covers the stir crazy and the nuwave.

Is the Nuwave just junk for roasting? I might be able to alter the Termister by adding a resistor in series to make it think the temp is lower than it is. or move it to a cooler part. Of course I am not dumb getting up to 500f could be dangerous.

Will the Oven work at 360f?

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

renatoa
Not junk, but not appropriate for coffee roasting. 360F is lower even than FC temperature...

I have fellows who tried an oven lid fitted by an unhackable electronic thermostat, thus limited to 230C (445F), and the results were not been satisfactory.
You need at least 250C (480F), to have a comfortable margin to approach all beans types.

I too am real new to this and have been roasting with success ( and failure ) on a Lump-Coal Kamado Grill using a remote temp control device to monitor grill heat. I've done about 10 cooks and am convinced that roasting your own is the way to go.

I bought a thick stainless cookie sheet from WMart and drilled a hole into one of the ends and attached a metal skewer to it for agitation and cook away on that. I'd upload a picture of it but I can't seem to figure out why this won't upload an image.

I made an executive decision to pick up the Fresh Roast SR500. It's reasonably priced, does not require or depend on fancy software to run the thing, and should produce steady consistent results.

If I were not so cheap I'd pick up the GENE CAFE roaster - it looks pretty darn sweet... nice footprint, cool design, etc.

renatoa
Grill is a different beast, the heat is majoritar radiant (infrared) and can't be measured directly with a thermometer.
A hot air oven is majoritar convection, and some radiation component.

Ozo

8675309 wrote:

I too am real new to this and have been roasting with success ( and failure ) on a Lump-Coal Kamado Grill using a remote temp control device to monitor grill heat. I've done about 10 cooks and am convinced that roasting your own is the way to go.

I bought a thick stainless cookie sheet from WMart and drilled a hole into one of the ends and attached a metal skewer to it for agitation and cook away on that. I'd upload a picture of it but I can't seem to figure out why this won't upload an image.

I made an executive decision to pick up the Fresh Roast SR500. It's reasonably priced, does not require or depend on fancy software to run the thing, and should produce steady consistent results.

If I were not so cheap I'd pick up the GENE CAFE roaster - it looks pretty darn sweet... nice footprint, cool design, etc.

To post pictures, I would advise that you use a photo host. I prefer Imgur.com as no account is required and it works easily. To post a photo to the forum I do the following:
Open Imgur.com https://imgur.com
At the top select New Post
Then select Browse
Pick the photo from your computer files and select Open
Now, once the green activity bar finishes, right click the up loaded photo and pick Copy Image Address
Then right click the area in your post to place the photo and select Paste
Highlight that and finish by clicking the rectangular icon below the post text box, 7th from left

To make links "clickable" as I did above, simply highlight it and click the 5th icon from the left.
Edited by Ozo on 09/10/2018 2:56 PM
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

Oh cool and excellent:
https://imgur.com...

i.imgur.com/XgNm1Xa.jpg
Edited by JackH on 09/10/2018 2:30 PM

starbuxed

renatoa wrote:

Not junk, but not appropriate for coffee roasting. 360F is lower even than FC temperature...

I have fellows who tried an oven lid fitted by an unhackable electronic thermostat, thus limited to 230C (445F), and the results were not been satisfactory.
You need at least 250C (480F), to have a comfortable margin to approach all beans types.

Well it has an ntc thermistor. So it would only take adding in a 10 ohm to 100ohm resistors in series to bump up the temp, AKA its pretty stupid and can be tricked. It would be a matter of figuring the wanted total resistance need by of taking At a few different temps the resistance Its a nonlinear curve.

renatoa
NTC sensors are typically used in a range up to 200?C.

starbuxed

renatoa wrote:

NTC sensors are typically used in a range up to 200?C.

Which true. I only need to relocate the sensor to a cooler area. maybe shield some the heat so that the heating element cuts off around 500. Maybe do a PWM set up like the popcorn roasters being its about a 1500 watt element. It should be fine to go up another 150f. or maybe I will find a turbo oven before I am ready to build my stir crazy set up.

Jump to Forum: