04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
renatoa

Total Members: 8,227
Newest Member: Marinalvi

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
HR Site Changes (Layout)
NetriX
forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/hrmockup.png

Greetings HR Members,

I wanted to reach out to everyone regarding advancements with HomeRoasters (HR) development.

In its' current state, the layout of HR is a little outdated. Not to imply that the design is outdated, simply put the backend code is in regards to its' code.

I've been working to develop a new theme for everyone (you'll still have the option of the older one), and depending on feedback from users and site admins, it may very well be put forth as the main theme used at HR.

But please note, the theme is being actively developed and is not fully completed yet, you may experience issues with its layout until its fully completed.

With that being stated, head on over to your Edit Profile page and change your theme to "HR2".

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/hrchangetheme.png

Again, keep in mind its a work in progress and color, styles, and layout is subject to change.

Also, over the coming weeks I'll be steadily making improvements to the forum layout.

Lets get some feedback rolling!

Thanks.
NetriX attached the following images:
hrmockup.png hrchangetheme.png

Edited by NetriX on 09/28/2018 12:27 AM

Randy G
The new layout looks very nice. More succinct, easier on the eyes and easier to scan through..

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

snwcmpr
I will try it.
Thanks for all that you do.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

JackH
We will need the shoutbox added when you get a chance. We usually greet new members there.

I do like the colors and layout.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ChicagoJohn
I like the new look too for the reason's Randy G noted. It's cleaner and easier to scan. Nice to see ongoing improvements happening !
So many beans; so little time....

allenb
Looking good. Noticed that with default theme there isn't a post reply button underneath the last post

Keep up the great progress!
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
Please, can we keep the old theme too and have the choice ?
Thank you !
Edited by renatoa on 09/29/2018 9:53 AM

BobbyS
I like this as it is not so busy.

NetriX

allenb wrote:

Looking good. Noticed that with default theme there isn't a post reply button underneath the last post

Not sure if it was just the image icon or input button? Is it visible now?

renatoa wrote:

Thank you !

Check your edit profile page, the option should be available as "Forest_Roast".

Thanks all for the feedback!!

roar

Randy G

BobbyS wrote:

I like this as it is not so busy.

I like the way it visually differentiates individual posts in a thread.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

allenb

NetriX wrote:

allenb wrote:

Not sure if it was just the image icon or input button? Is it visible now?

renatoa wrote:

Thank you !

Check your edit profile page, the option should be available as "Forest_Roast".

Thanks all for the feedback!!

roar

Not seeing "post reply" button at the bottom of the last post in a thread using default theme. Also, not seeing quote and edit buttons
allenb attached the following image:
capture_9.png

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
In looking more carefully, I see the options are there but are symbols instead of words for buttons. Might be helpful to keep the buttons labeled using words as before or, might be fine and only a problem with me taking a while to focus on them and understand the symbols?

allenb

JackH wrote:

We will need the shoutbox added when you get a chance. We usually greet new members there.

Moving shoutbox back to right side will allow it to be visible without scrolling down a ways to see it. More visible.

Koffee Kosmo
A quick note
The site is all mashed on the home page when viewing on iPad / safari

Everything from the right side panel is currently on the left
Leaving a lot of blank space on the right until one scrolls down to the latest posts

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

NetriX

allenb wrote:

In looking more carefully, I see the options are there but are symbols instead of words for buttons. Might be helpful to keep the buttons labeled using words as before or, might be fine and only a problem with me taking a while to focus on them and understand the symbols?

Those are image icons for editing and posting replies, I've uploaded the original so in order to see it you may need to clear your browsers cache.
forum.homeroasters.org/themes/HR2/forum/reply.gif

allenb wrote:

JackH wrote:

Moving shoutbox back to right side will allow it to be visible without scrolling down a ways to see it. More visible.

The intent was to widen the layout of the site by disabling the right side entirely. I've moved the shoutbox up closer to the top? Does this look better in your opinion? Also, I could make it a center panel as well... thoughts?

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

A quick note
The site is all mashed on the home page when viewing on iPad / safari

Everything from the right side panel is currently on the left
Leaving a lot of blank space on the right until one scrolls down to the latest posts

KK

Thanks for the input, I have some layout changes to fix and this will be included, look for those updates probably Thursday, Oct. 4.

bbq

allenb

allenb wrote:

"NetriX wrote:

Those are image icons for editing and posting replies, I've uploaded the original so in order to see it you may need to clear your browsers cache.
forum.homeroasters.org/themes/HR2/forum/reply.gif

Nice, looks good!

NetriX
good post

Site changes for 12/24/2018:
  1. Scroll to Top button (bottom-right) - automatically scroll to top of page
  2. Primary HR2 theme has been completely recoded and optimized
  3. Site width has been increased
  4. Heavier caching algorithms, improved load times, optimizations across the board
  5. Tons of behind the scenes stuff (spam protection, optimizations, bugfixes)

You may need to clear your browsers cache, otherwise please feel free to report any issues, feedback, or suggestions.

Thanks!

Happy Holidays!!

Koffee Kosmo
That looks nice ThumbsUp

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

renatoa
Perhaps unrelated to this theme change, but today noticed some forum issues, so will report here:
- in active forums, icon of each thread signaling read status does not change after visiting a thread;
- my replies does not appear if visiting the thread again
these two issues above are fixed hard refreshing the page (CTRL+F5)
- a third issue that is not fixed even by clearing cache, or visiting the page as anonymous... in the thread where I posted a reply (TC4 family), my icon/avatar is now the coffee cup, copied from user who posted above me... curious to see if posting here will copy KK picture too Grin

LE: nope, I am still with coffee cup...

Opera here.
Edited by renatoa on 12/28/2018 1:59 AM

JackH
I see some of the things Renatoa mentioned above.

I notice that new posts or edits do not appear until I refresh my browser (Firefox).

This post won't appear for me until i click the browser refresh. I did clear cache earlier.

It may still be my browser. Tried reseting Firefox still not working.

I am in Microsoft edge now to test.
Edited by JackH on 12/25/2018 7:07 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

NetriX

renatoa wrote:

Unrelated to this theme change, but today noticed some forum issues, so will report here:
- in active forums, icon of each thread signaling read status does not change after visiting a thread;
- my replies does not appear if visiting the thread again
these two issues above are fixed hard refreshing the page (CTRL+F5)
- a third issue that is not fixed even by clearing cache, or visiting the page as anonymous... in the thread where I posted a reply (TC4 family), my icon/avatar is now the coffee cup, copied from user who posted above me... curious to see if posting here will copy KK picture too Grin

LE: nope, I am still with coffee cup...

The default no avatar image has been changed to the coffee cup.
forum.homeroasters.org/images/avatars/noavatar50.png

Caching fixed now?
Edited by NetriX on 12/25/2018 7:07 AM

Stew
I was going to do a search and I can't seem to find a search bar anywhere. Am I missing it?

NetriX

Stew wrote:

I was going to do a search and I can't seem to find a search bar anywhere. Am I missing it?

There's one at the bottom of "Discussion Forum", but perhaps it's a little too out of place. Regardless, I added a link in the upper-nav. Hope this helps!

i.imgur.com/uTxyHzd.png

Stew
Awesome! Thanks so much.

CharcoalRoaster
Is there a way to have the default homepage be the active forums like before?

Jump to Forum: