renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
light roast with SR340
ncarterette
hi i am new to the home roasting phenomenon and i have been using an SR340. everything i have roasted basically comes out a French roast so i wanted to try to make a lighter one. using a book that showed pictures of the color differences in roasts, i just stopped the SR340 when the beans looked a certain color, probably after 3.5 minutes. let it sit overnight, and when i went to grind it in the morning it was extremely tough to grind, and then the flavor was bad. i guess i didn't do it right. how do i get some variety in the roast that is actually drinkable?

renatoa
You should drop short time after the beans start to crack, even if the color does not seems you right, as in the pictures.
How long you should keep the roast going after you hear first cracks ? about 20-25% of the already elapsed time. For example if FC start at 4 minutes, keep another minute, then cool.
As time goes and you become a master, will learn how to adjust also the airflow during roast for better results.

ncarterette

renatoa wrote:

You should drop short time after the beans start to crack, even if the color does not seems you right, as in the pictures.
How long you should keep the roast going after you hear first cracks ? about 20-25% of the already elapsed time. For example if FC start at 4 minutes, keep another minute, then cool.
As time goes and you become a master, will learn how to adjust also the airflow during roast for better results.

thanks so much. most of the articles i have read about roasting, seem to have much longer times. for the SR340, if i roast 130 grams for 6 minutes, it comes out as a French roast. so i am unsure how to get the light roast correct.

i have not tried to change the airflow, is there any article about techniques for that? I just keep it the same all the way through

ChicagoJohn
If you haven't read the instructions recommended by Burman, check the link below and see if it helps.

https://burmancof...st-sr-340/
So many beans; so little time....

The SR340 has one heat setting - I suspect high. I have the SR500. This is how I operate it for 'best' ( not perfect ) results.

I start out first by pre-heating it for about 15 seconds on medium heat then drop the beans in and switch to HIGH heat and HIGH fan.

For the next 1/2 minute I use a chop-stick to stir the beans about, then I put the lid on.

All increments here out are 1/2 minute marks:
Switch to about a 7 setting on the fan.
Switch to about a 5 setting on the fan.
Switch to about a 3 setting on the fan.
Switch to about a 8 setting on the fan.
( rinse and repeat )

Typically after 3-4 minutes I hear the first outlier first-crack.

At this point I drop the fan to about a 2.
Then I push it up to about an 8.

As first crack continues I swap fan settings at 15-30 second intervals
from very low ( say a 2 ) to higher ( say an 8 ). I want to extend the First crack series as long as I can.

If I can stretch the first-crack event for say 2 minutes then I'll drop the fan speed to a 2.

If I believe second crack is about to occur I push the fan speed up to an 8.

As second crack starts I drop to a 2 and push it up to a 8 and back to a 2... these intervals can be as short as 10-15 seconds as I don't want to get too deep into second crack but I want all the beans to get there if possible.

I switch to cool after 10-15 seconds and drop the beans, bag 'em in a one-way valve bag and let them set-up AT LEAST 2 DAYS... I have found this is key, 6-18-24-36 hours is NOT ENOUGH.... and the taste seems to smooth out at 48+ hours.

I will say that this process has taken way-too-long to figure out, and after about a dozen attempts I am just now getting drinkable coffee.

My initial dip into the realm of roasting my own beans came at the expense of a lump-coal-kamado-grill using a thick cookie sheet with a hole cut in it with an attachment to agitate the beans.... and I will profess that I got about a 40% Excellent rate on those cooks and another 20% good-enough to drink rate leaving a 40% crap-out rate....

I'm trying to convince myself that I can get the SR500 to produce an Excellent cup and may go back to the Grill method... at least with the Grill method I produced coffee to die for.... this has yet to be achieved on the SR500.

I once produced a batch of Columbia Supremo on my grill that if readily reproduced would reap riches beyond my dreams. Women would throw themselves at me. Kings and Queens would bow before me. The heavens would open up to me .... yes... it was that good.

Final note: I am now convinced that trying to start at a low heat and move to a medium heat and finish at a high heat simply 'bakes' the beans in the SR500 - I now do 90% of my roasts strictly on the High Level and use the Fan to adjust how much actual heat the beans are getting.
Edited by 8675309 on 10/16/2018 10:25 PM

Jump to Forum: