Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/19/2021 6:22 AM
Welcome tarunk!

10/17/2021 12:40 PM
Ploni and nader fouad, Welcome!

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 21

Members Online: 1
zamunda

Total Members: 7,363
Newest Member: tarunk

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Transparent Fluid Bed Design
CK
When reconfiguring the build a defect was found on the heater lid part. It still functions well to hold the RC... a high temperature PLA reprint may be made for a fix.
CK attached the following image:
pla_heat_defect.jpg
floptronica
That's a very nice rig you made. I had no idea about the high temp PLA and the gizmo to hear 1st crack better is a new idea to me. So much nicer than holding my ear next to the roast chamber.

One Idea i might contribute to your build is to roll your own heating elements. The ones that come with poppers are made with the cheapest possible material, and just don't last too long. Ive been using nichrome 80 in 20 gauge, and an element lasts over a year. Use a knitting needle to roll it. Just get one in the mm diameter of your old coil.
CK
Thanks for the tips on rolling custom coils and wire choice. That may come in handy in the future if there is need to do repairs.

The original coils are still going strong with more than 2 years roasting and testing on them... perhaps because I don't run them maxed out. (They only run at about 50-60% of their potential.)

I've simplified the FC sound feature by removing the copper piping, and putting foil directly over the 1" top opening. It's clamped in place with a band clamp over a silicone gasket, keeping the foil relatively flat and stretched tight. The function works just as well as the complicated copper pipe design.
TooL
Hey there, I've been having a peruse through this thread cause this is a really neat design. Have I missed a part list or have you not released one? Just curious as I'm thinking of making a roaster myself and I am curious about how much this kind of setup would cost :)
One thing I'm interested in is how it's all powered, do you have a big psu of some sort or is everything just individually plugged into an extension bar or something?
Cheers either way as it's been cool to see the idea and progression
CK
You can refer to posts 21, 23, 42, and 44 for the information. Each 120v power inlet is pulled from a different circuit in the home.
TooL
Oh awesome I feel a bit silly. So you power it with a bunch of plugs, makes a lot of sense haha. Cheers, totally should have seen that
Jump to Forum: