Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4ESP
renatoa
MAX6675 is not up to task, for the processing I am doing inside this version of TC4 on steroids. Nor MAX31855.
Max31856 boards are available at Adafruit, or from ebay/chinese shops.
MCP3424 not needed for any MAX family chips interrfacing, but please don't make any plans to have this feature ready "tomorrow"... is an unexpected request and not fitting in my immediate future plans.
 
miyankizu
It is okay @renatoa , this is a big work and I am totally understand you. I can’t ask extra from you. I try implement my project yours. Anyway big thanks and appriciate ThumbsUp

Quote

renatoa wrote:

MAX6675 is not up to task, for the processing I am doing inside this version of TC4 on steroids. Nor MAX31855.
Max31856 boards are available at Adafruit, or from ebay/chinese shops.
MCP3424 not needed for any MAX family chips interrfacing, but please don't make any plans to have this feature ready "tomorrow"... is an unexpected request and not fitting in my immediate future plans.
 
renatoa
Ok, so I ordered a MAX31856 board from eBay, but still you have to be patient, delivery will take one month.
Preparing code meanwhile... but without any real world test.
 
zamunda

Quote

renatoa wrote:

AD8495 works very well as a front-end for MCP3424 ADC, from the original TC4 design.
The same architecture. i.e.: dedicated TC amplifier with cold junction compensation, followed by a high class ADC, and a MCU, is used by phidgets too, so you can consider TC4ESP as a phidget running TC4 software.

Replacing amplifier and ADC with MAX31856 is possible and would work, but half of TC4 "character" would be lost. Not a perceivable loss in real operation, just saying... sentimental Grin
Actually, already started this separation, by adding the PT100 sensor capability, but it's the same architecture... just another sensor type dedicated amplifier, with analog output, as AD8495, that still rely on ADC presence.

Price wise... when using two channels both solutions are on par... if you want all the 4 temperature channels for your setup, then the MAX31856 way would be significantly costly... and the PT100 capability broken.

Not the last reason... this was the market status at the moment of TC4ESP inception, in 2018. At that time wasn't aware about the MAX31856 availability.

If this detail is all that stop you jumping on this project... maybe I can add support for this MAX31856... but not soon, the next 2-3 weeks are busy for me.


Hello Renatoa,

Thanks for this explaination!
OK, so I'll stick to the original components and see if I them can get from different sources here in Europe.
Let you know how it goes!

Thanks and regards
 
zamunda

Quote

zamunda wrote:

Quote

renatoa wrote:

AD8495 works very well as a front-end for MCP3424 ADC, from the original TC4 design.
The same architecture. i.e.: dedicated TC amplifier with cold junction compensation, followed by a high class ADC, and a MCU, is used by phidgets too, so you can consider TC4ESP as a phidget running TC4 software.

Replacing amplifier and ADC with MAX31856 is possible and would work, but half of TC4 "character" would be lost. Not a perceivable loss in real operation, just saying... sentimental Grin
Actually, already started this separation, by adding the PT100 sensor capability, but it's the same architecture... just another sensor type dedicated amplifier, with analog output, as AD8495, that still rely on ADC presence.

Price wise... when using two channels both solutions are on par... if you want all the 4 temperature channels for your setup, then the MAX31856 way would be significantly costly... and the PT100 capability broken.

Not the last reason... this was the market status at the moment of TC4ESP inception, in 2018. At that time wasn't aware about the MAX31856 availability.

If this detail is all that stop you jumping on this project... maybe I can add support for this MAX31856... but not soon, the next 2-3 weeks are busy for me.


Hello Renatoa,

Thanks for this explaination!
OK, so I'll stick to the original components and see if I them can get from different sources here in Europe.
Let you know how it goes!

Thanks and regards


Just ordered from AliExpress:
ESP8266 board (1x)
MCP3424 ADC (1x)
AD849x TC amp board (2x)
---------
Total 24 Euros
 
renatoa
MAX31856 board alone was 14 Euro... two channels would be 28 + ADC + MCU

"here in Europe" buying components from China is a fact of life... locally they are completely missing or super expensive... for example the MAX31856 board above is almost double priced, in the 28 Euro ballpark.
All you need for peace of mind is planning projects in advance with at least one month for delivery.
 
zamunda
Hello,

Waiting for the goods to arrive: just curious if there are some building pics/videos available from this project?
 
renatoa
Mine is on the breadboard permanently... Grin

Attached is one of a friend, board made by me, delivered as half-kit, then cased by him in an enclosure.

The main modules can be seen very clear, I think... MCU, ADC and TC amplifier, each on its own board, connected by wires on the back.
LCD and buttons are on front cover.

On top is the PT100 amplifier, the latest addition, done on his request after initial delivery.
...
renatoa attached the following image:
whatsapp_image_2021-09-20_at_125551.jpeg
 
zamunda

Quote

renatoa wrote:

Mine is on the breadboard permanently... Grin

Attached is one of a friend, board made by me, delivered as half-kit, then cased by him in an enclosure.

The main modules can be seen very clear, I think... MCU, ADC and TC amplifier, each on its own board, connected by wires on the back.
LCD and buttons are on front cover.

On top is the PT100 amplifier, the latest addition, done on his request after initial delivery.
...


Hello Renatoa,

Thanks for this image, looks good!

Question: does this project allow Air control from within Artisan?

Regards,
Bert
 
renatoa
Only for a DC blower, via PWM output on a TC4 IO3 equivalent pin. D4/GPIO2 for instance.
As specified in introductory document, the ESP8266 timers architecture stopped me to implement PAC.
And, as in all open source projects, if not an critical need for the author, a feature is left forever in a waiting queue Grin surely there is a solution.

What's the point to have air controlled via Artisan as a must? Profile following is for heater only...
 
zamunda

Quote

renatoa wrote:

Only for a DC blower, via PWM output on a TC4 IO3 equivalent pin. D4/GPIO2 for instance.
As specified in introductory document, the ESP8266 timers architecture stopped me to implement PAC.
And, as in all open source projects, if not an critical need for the author, a feature is left forever in a waiting queue Grin surely there is a solution.

What's the point to have air controlled via Artisan as a must? Profile following is for heater only...


Hello Renatoa,
Thanks for your reply. Air control via Artisan is not a must, was just curious.

However, having roasted with several poppers now for a year now, I always feel the need to lower down the airflow towards the end of the roast in order to have good agitation at the start and more heat/power at the end (I have read on this forum that others roast with a fixed air flow, have tried that as well but I felt that this extended the roast too long). So I can do by hand with a manual controlled voltage controller fe, however, if I do it via Artisan, changes applied in air flow are logged and I can look at it later, otherwise I have to write it down manually.

In other words, it is not a must but still nice-to-have.

Thanks!
 
renatoa
For a popper should work, if the motor is DC, thus handled by DCFAN command on IO3/D4 pin, this is implemented.

However, I read in US there are poppers with A/C motor, no luck for those, unless an external PWM speed controller is used.
 
zamunda

Quote

renatoa wrote:

For a popper should work, if the motor is DC, thus handled by DCFAN command on IO3/D4 pin, this is implemented.

However, I read in US there are poppers with A/C motor, no luck for those, unless an external PWM speed controller is used.


Thanks, good to know that it could work with a DC-fan.
So far, haven't seen poppers with AC-moter...

Regards,
 
ar3mia
Hi Renatoa,
Thanks for the work you have done on this project.
I ordered some of the components to build this, but while they arrive I flashed the software onto the ESP8266.

Could you clarify something that I may not be understanding....

I thought this would connect to my WIFI network because of what I read on the cost analysis.md

Quote

Starting with V1.1 Wifi connection is possible for Artisan, without a BT adapter.

I did not see where in the sketch files to configure the Wifi settings for the ESP8266 to connect to my wifi.

Later I kept reading through the files on the repo and found ModBus TCP setup.md with instruction that I understood that the Artisan machine will connect directly to the ESP8266. However, I still cannot get it to work because I dont see MODBUS_TCP Option mentioned in user.h

Can you guide me on how I should configure this to connect wirelessly to my computer?
Thanks in advance.
 
renatoa
Give me a breath this weekend to see the status of github repository.
 
zamunda
Hello!

Today the ESP8266 board and MCP3424 arrived, thermocouples take a bit longer I guess

In order to do some testing, I connected ESP8266 to my computer over USB and downloaded the code from:
https://github.com/renatoa/TC4-shield/tree/master/applications/Artisan/aArtisanESP, compiled and uploaded the code.

So far, so good.

From here, is there anything else to be checked/tested waiting for the temp sensors to arrive?

Thanks!
########################
### A lot can happen over coffee ###
########################
 
renatoa
Connect SSR and check if respond to OT1;xy commands programmed on a slider from Artisan ?
 
zamunda
Hello Renatoa,

Quote

renatoa wrote:

Connect SSR and check if respond to OT1;xy commands programmed on a slider from Artisan ?


I did a test as suggested:

  1. Copied over the modbus settings for Artisan from the Github
  2. Connected the ESP to the SSR (3V/GND)
  3. Connected the ESP to the MCP3424 (3V/GND)


As soon as I connected the SSR to the ESP, the green led of the SSR started blinking immediatly at a constant rate, I guess this is not "expected behaviour"?

When configuring the Modbus-settings, I had to fill in the IP of the ModbusTcpClient, is this the IP of the host-computer where Artisan is running from? Or can the ESP also be an IP assigned? The host-computer is connected over USB to ESP, under port-settings I put the serial port in use.

In the error-log of Artisan, I get:
19:49:09.392 Modbus Error: writeSingleRegister() Modbus Error: [Connection] Failed to connect[ModbusTcpClient(192.168.2.1:502)]@line 462

...so I guess this is config-error to be expected...

Could you tell me where to adjust further?

Thanks!
zamunda attached the following images:
aaa_2.jpg bbb_1.jpg

Edited by zamunda on 10/27/2021 1:16 PM
########################
### A lot can happen over coffee ###
########################
 
renatoa
You have to connect the board to Artisan as TC4, not Modbus. So, nothing to fill Modbus related. Also, USB/serial Modbus is not handled so far, only TCP.

Not the last, because no buttons, nor LCD, you have to compile a non UI version, commenting out the define lines of LCD_I2C and adcButtons in user.h

And yes, SSR blinking LED behavior is expected, even if not exactly the most desired... not having any buttons connected transmit to the board the same signal as "start roast", and the blinking signals a predefined start power level, check in user.h for MIN_OT1.
Edited by renatoa on 10/27/2021 2:47 PM
 
zamunda
Hello Renatoa,

Quote

renatoa wrote:

You have to connect the board to Artisan as TC4, not Modbus. So, nothing to fill Modbus related. Also, USB/serial Modbus is not handled so far, only TCP.



Sorry but I am a bit confused then since I simply looked in the screenshots from the repository:
https://github.co...creenshots

And followed from there...(MB_Setup_1.png, etc)
########################
### A lot can happen over coffee ###
########################
 
Jump to Forum: