Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4ESP
renatoa
MAX31856 board alone was 14 Euro... two channels would be 28 + ADC + MCU

"here in Europe" buying components from China is a fact of life... locally they are completely missing or super expensive... for example the MAX31856 board above is almost double priced, in the 28 Euro ballpark.
All you need for peace of mind is planning projects in advance with at least one month for delivery.

zamunda
Hello,

Waiting for the goods to arrive: just curious if there are some building pics/videos available from this project?

renatoa
Mine is on the breadboard permanently... Grin

Attached is one of a friend, board made by me, delivered as half-kit, then cased by him in an enclosure.

The main modules can be seen very clear, I think... MCU, ADC and TC amplifier, each on its own board, connected by wires on the back.
LCD and buttons are on front cover.

On top is the PT100 amplifier, the latest addition, done on his request after initial delivery.
renatoa attached the following image:
whatsapp_image_2021-09-20_at_125551.jpeg

zamunda

renatoa wrote:

Mine is on the breadboard permanently... Grin

Attached is one of a friend, board made by me, delivered as half-kit, then cased by him in an enclosure.

The main modules can be seen very clear, I think... MCU, ADC and TC amplifier, each on its own board, connected by wires on the back.
LCD and buttons are on front cover.

On top is the PT100 amplifier, the latest addition, done on his request after initial delivery.

Hello Renatoa,

Thanks for this image, looks good!

Question: does this project allow Air control from within Artisan?

Regards,
Bert

renatoa
Only for a DC blower, via PWM output on a TC4 IO3 equivalent pin. D4/GPIO2 for instance.
As specified in introductory document, the ESP8266 timers architecture stopped me to implement PAC.
And, as in all open source projects, if not an critical need for the author, a feature is left forever in a waiting queue Grin surely there is a solution.

What's the point to have air controlled via Artisan as a must? Profile following is for heater only...

zamunda

renatoa wrote:

Only for a DC blower, via PWM output on a TC4 IO3 equivalent pin. D4/GPIO2 for instance.
As specified in introductory document, the ESP8266 timers architecture stopped me to implement PAC.
And, as in all open source projects, if not an critical need for the author, a feature is left forever in a waiting queue Grin surely there is a solution.

What's the point to have air controlled via Artisan as a must? Profile following is for heater only...

Hello Renatoa,
Thanks for your reply. Air control via Artisan is not a must, was just curious.

However, having roasted with several poppers now for a year now, I always feel the need to lower down the airflow towards the end of the roast in order to have good agitation at the start and more heat/power at the end (I have read on this forum that others roast with a fixed air flow, have tried that as well but I felt that this extended the roast too long). So I can do by hand with a manual controlled voltage controller fe, however, if I do it via Artisan, changes applied in air flow are logged and I can look at it later, otherwise I have to write it down manually.

In other words, it is not a must but still nice-to-have.

Thanks!

renatoa
For a popper should work, if the motor is DC, thus handled by DCFAN command on IO3/D4 pin, this is implemented.

However, I read in US there are poppers with A/C motor, no luck for those, unless an external PWM speed controller is used.

zamunda

renatoa wrote:

For a popper should work, if the motor is DC, thus handled by DCFAN command on IO3/D4 pin, this is implemented.

However, I read in US there are poppers with A/C motor, no luck for those, unless an external PWM speed controller is used.

Thanks, good to know that it could work with a DC-fan.
So far, haven't seen poppers with AC-moter...

Regards,

ar3mia
Hi Renatoa,
Thanks for the work you have done on this project.
I ordered some of the components to build this, but while they arrive I flashed the software onto the ESP8266.

Could you clarify something that I may not be understanding....

I thought this would connect to my WIFI network because of what I read on the cost analysis.md

Starting with V1.1 Wifi connection is possible for Artisan, without a BT adapter.

I did not see where in the sketch files to configure the Wifi settings for the ESP8266 to connect to my wifi.

Later I kept reading through the files on the repo and found ModBus TCP setup.md with instruction that I understood that the Artisan machine will connect directly to the ESP8266. However, I still cannot get it to work because I dont see MODBUS_TCP Option mentioned in user.h

Can you guide me on how I should configure this to connect wirelessly to my computer?
Thanks in advance.

renatoa
Give me a breath this weekend to see the status of github repository.

zamunda
Hello!

Today the ESP8266 board and MCP3424 arrived, thermocouples take a bit longer I guess

In order to do some testing, I connected ESP8266 to my computer over USB and downloaded the code from:
https://github.com/renatoa/TC4-shield/tree/master/applications/Artisan/aArtisanESP, compiled and uploaded the code.

So far, so good.

From here, is there anything else to be checked/tested waiting for the temp sensors to arrive?

Thanks!
########################
### A lot can happen over coffee ###
########################

renatoa
Connect SSR and check if respond to OT1;xy commands programmed on a slider from Artisan ?

zamunda
Hello Renatoa,

renatoa wrote:

Connect SSR and check if respond to OT1;xy commands programmed on a slider from Artisan ?

I did a test as suggested:

1. Copied over the modbus settings for Artisan from the Github
  2. Connected the ESP to the SSR (3V/GND)
  3. Connected the ESP to the MCP3424 (3V/GND)

As soon as I connected the SSR to the ESP, the green led of the SSR started blinking immediatly at a constant rate, I guess this is not "expected behaviour"?

When configuring the Modbus-settings, I had to fill in the IP of the ModbusTcpClient, is this the IP of the host-computer where Artisan is running from? Or can the ESP also be an IP assigned? The host-computer is connected over USB to ESP, under port-settings I put the serial port in use.

In the error-log of Artisan, I get:
19:49:09.392 Modbus Error: writeSingleRegister() Modbus Error: [Connection] Failed to connect[ModbusTcpClient(192.168.2.1:502)]@line 462

...so I guess this is config-error to be expected...

Could you tell me where to adjust further?

Thanks!
zamunda attached the following images:
aaa_2.jpg bbb_1.jpg

Edited by zamunda on 10/27/2021 1:16 PM
########################
########################

renatoa
You have to connect the board to Artisan as TC4, not Modbus. So, nothing to fill Modbus related. Also, USB/serial Modbus is not handled so far, only TCP.

Not the last, because no buttons, nor LCD, you have to compile a non UI version, commenting out the define lines of LCD_I2C and adcButtons in user.h

And yes, SSR blinking LED behavior is expected, even if not exactly the most desired... not having any buttons connected transmit to the board the same signal as "start roast", and the blinking signals a predefined start power level, check in user.h for MIN_OT1.
Edited by renatoa on 10/27/2021 2:47 PM

zamunda
Hello Renatoa,

renatoa wrote:

You have to connect the board to Artisan as TC4, not Modbus. So, nothing to fill Modbus related. Also, USB/serial Modbus is not handled so far, only TCP.

Sorry but I am a bit confused then since I simply looked in the screenshots from the repository:
https://github.co...creenshots

And followed from there...(MB_Setup_1.png, etc)
########################
########################

renatoa
True, there is no step by step setup manual, there are some warnings in the introductory post about the advanced level of forensic needed to build such project.

Maybe will do such manual together Grin
First lesson... this project is a TC4 clone, it walks and quacks as a TC4, Modbus is just an extra, and you should forget about it for now.
So for the setup, Artisan side, read all you find about TC4, for example the greencardigan video.

zamunda

renatoa wrote:

True, there is no step by step setup manual, there are some warnings in the introductory post about the advanced level of forensic needed to build such project.

Maybe will do such manual together Grin

I am aware that TC4ESP it is not a "plug-and-play" solution...

No problem in helping to write a manual, but before doing that, first need a better understanding of how it works Grin

First lesson... this project is a TC4 clone, it walks and quacks as a TC4, Modbus is just an extra, and you should forget about it for now.
So for the setup, Artisan side, read all you find about TC4, for example the greencardigan video.

OK, your point is clear...will look at the greencardigan video...

BTW: the Bluetooth-option works? If yes, I could connect a HC-06 and test it from the start as well...
Also considering getting the LCD and buttons, if that would give me a more "out-of-the-box"-solution.

Thanks and keep you posted.
########################
########################

renatoa
Bluetooth works, but for connecting greencardigan Android app, not for Artisan wireless serial connection on a laptop.
However, to activate this BT mode you need to press a button at startup... or modify the code.

To help you start without buttons, nor recompile, add a wire jumper between A0 pin and any unused of the 3.3V pins.
With this trick, and TC4 setup in Artisan done properly, you should be able to have an Artisan connection capable to control the heater, at least.

zamunda
Hello Renatoa,

After adding the jumper as you indicated, I configured the setup, following the vid of greencardigan (very good):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Co-pXF2NM

In his video, I can see the value changing of the heater when moving the heater-slider, however, in my case, nothing happens there (see screenshot). Also the led on the SSR keeps blinking as before at a constant rate. So there is no interaction between the slider and the SSR yet...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
zamunda attached the following image:
screenshot_2021-10-28_at_195058.jpg

########################
########################

renatoa
Did you configured the slider event as in the attached image ?

SSR blinking is suspicious, though...
renatoa attached the following image:
image_2021-10-28_221632_1.png

zamunda

renatoa wrote:

Did you configured the slider event as in the attached image ?

Yes I did...
########################
########################

renatoa
The normal behaviour should be to have LED off at start, and blinking when moving the slider to any position, except zero.
Should go off again when slider down to zero.

zamunda
Hello,

Today I heard from Aliexpress that my order for the AD8495 was refused by customs and sent back to the seller (without any specific reason), money will be reimbursed I suppose.
In order not to wait another 4 weeks decided to buy the AD8495 now in Europe, double price but delivered within 1-2 days.

However, the board looks a bit different...

Could you confirm this is the same technically?

Thanks!
zamunda attached the following image:
ada-1778_1-1280x853h.jpg

########################
########################

zamunda

renatoa wrote:

The normal behaviour should be to have LED off at start, and blinking when moving the slider to any position, except zero.
Should go off again when slider down to zero.

That was what I expected somehow, will do some more testing today...and the blinking rate should go up and down accordingly as well I suppose?
Thanks!
########################
########################

renatoa
The duty should vary, i.e. the ratio between on/off, the period is fixed, one second.
Small changes are unnoticeable visually, you should have a large value jump, like 25-75% to see the change in the on/off ratio.

Jump to Forum: