renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Roasting Has Begun!
whitesoup12
Got a new coffee roaster for Dad's Day and have been trying it out. Still learning the process, as well as trying to learn what kind of roaster I have and the best methods for it. It's like a popcorn popper that you use oil with. Has a rotating arm, and temperature control. Not even sure what kind of roaster this is called or they best way to use it. First roasts didn't seem to ever make it to first crack, even after 30 minutes. But they did get dark and smelly. lol

renatoa
Welcome a picture could help... BBQ grill

whitesoup12
Sure thing! Tried attaching one but it's not working... Hopefully this link works.

https://photos.ap...1RVrd8djS9
whitesoup12 attached the following image:
capture_76.jpg

Edited by JackH on 06/19/2019 4:29 PM

JackH
sort of looks like a stir crazy popper but the dome is smaller.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

whitesoup12
Any good reads on how to get a decent roast with one? Kind of flying blind and going by trial and error until I dial in on something good. But always looking for helpful resources.

JackH
It's hard to tell what you have. Because the bottom heater is not powerful the stirring poppers are usually modified with a turbo oven top to get the amount of heat necessary to roast coffee. Can we get a photo of the whole roaster?

Here is my early stir crazy roaster.

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/stircrazy.jpg
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

whitesoup12
Here?s a better picture. Bought it from Amazon.

https://photos.ap...6faxG7aEM9

JackH
I have never seen one like that. The front control says 240 deg C at max. Still kind of low for coffee.

You might try pre-heating the unit at max temperature first and then very carefully lifting the top and add the beans, put the top back on and hope for the best. It would help to have a thermometer to see what temperature you are at. Also watch how much coffee beans you add. Maybe try smaller batches at first.

If anyone else has any ideas, please jump in.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

whitesoup12
Thanks for the advice! I?ve been preheating for 5 minutes at max temp (240 C) and adding 150 grams of beans. I then drop the temp to about 210 C for 10 minutes and then bump it back to 240 for the rest. Roasted 30 minutes total and only heard a couple cracks. I think, like you said, the roaster isn?t getting hot enough. Definitely need a thermometer, but I can?t find one that provides a decent way to measure the temps without taking the lid off.

renatoa
If the degrees meaning is baseplate temperature, then is not enough, you need this temperature in the air.
These machines are designed for popcorn, that bloom at 180 C, while coffee need at least 250C air temperature, to bring the bean at 200-220C.
Contact transfer is ridiculous low, the main heat should come from convection, so you need an increased airflow.
If your lid is 32 cm diameter, then you can buy an extension ring as this...
https://www.ebay....2707106168
The link is in UK, I know, was the first I found, is just an example what you need, there are similar rings in US too.

... then make a hole allowing to insert a hotgun, that will bring the necessary heat and airflow.
The air should be blown along the wall (tangential), not to the center.

As is now you have not enough heat transfer to perform a right roast.

whitesoup12
So in your opinion is it more sensible to invest in abetter roaster as opposed to modding the one I have? I know good roasters aren't cheap, and I'd feel bad throwing in the towel on a gifted roaster. :)

renatoa
What better roaster, you can't find anything under $4-500 a Behmor...
The hot air based machines that cost less have insufficient output, under 100 grams, depends what are your needs and time availability.
The DIY alternatives, like the solution proposed above can led to better machines at half price or less.
Actually, this forum is focused more on building, and less about using commercial machines Grin

whitesoup12
Ended up getting a turbo convection oven to put over the top to heat the air more. Here?s to hoping!

renatoa
Most oven models comes with extension ring as accessory, you should use it, is necessary, else the lid will be too close to the beans.
You an on the right track, keep roasting... and drinking... Grin

Kyle Allen
I believe that the roaster model pictured is for sale on eBay and Amazon. Posting the links for reference. Good luck and happy roasting!

https://rover.eba...3655048386

Household Coffee Roaster Machine Electric Coffee Beans Roasting Machine 110V

https://www.amazo...dDb3VXQNX0
Edited by JackH on 06/23/2019 5:45 PM

renatoa
The links above are about machines close or identical to subject of this thread, so what you mean ?

JackH
They are links for reference. Thanks for posting them.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Ed Runyon
Hello all. Hope I have the right place to introduce myself. Pure Michigander here, and have been roasting for about 3 months. Currently using a Flour Sifter/Heat Gun, but looking into building a slightly larger Fluid Bed setup.
May your cup be full of potential . . . and coffee!

renatoa
Welcome

What about upsizing the current machine? could be simpler than 1 kg FB you intend, as I seen in the other thread...
Your flour sifter can be a pasta strainer, and the heat source a turbo oven element.
Much more quieter and less power hungry than a FB...

whitesoup12
Got my turbo convection oven in the mail today. Had to improvise a bit to get the metal riser to fit right since it's a but larger than the roaster, but got it to sit perfect. This should add a lot more heat to the air and hopefully provide a more proper roast.[img][/img]

Liam

renatoa wrote:

If the degrees meaning is baseplate temperature, then is not enough, you need this temperature in the air.
These machines are designed for popcorn, that bloom at 180 C, while coffee need at least 250C air temperature, to bring the bean at 200-220C.
Contact transfer is ridiculous low, the main heat should come from convection, so you need an increased airflow.
If your lid is 32 cm diameter, then you can buy an extension ring as this...
https://www.ebay....2707106168
The link is in UK, I know, was the first I found, is just an example what you need, there are similar rings in US too.

... then make a hole allowing to insert a hotgun, that will bring the necessary heat and airflow.
The air should be blown along the wall (tangential), not to the center.

As is now you have not enough heat transfer to perform a right roast.

Thanks for the information. I need this thing.

Jump to Forum: