Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,220
Newest Member: compactjack

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 connect to Raspberry Pi
NewBean
Thankyou for the teachable moment!

Pi-is configured with Serial active
i also did a few things in the terminal and i can see a few folders but can't cd/ into them but i can nano but nothing is there

Does anyone feel like a TEamView?
NewBean attached the following image:
cmd.png

renatoa
Can you check if any tty entry appear and disappear when issuing ls commands with TC4 connected and not ?
If you find it, then this is the serial port name.
If that port is not listed in Artisan, then this is other issue...

NewBean
I think i need to mention, not sure if this is a factor, Im powering the Raspberry Pi3B+ with the orig power micro USB power adaptor, then the USB over to the Arduino UNO with TC4..

should the Arduino be powered separately than piggybacking from the Pi?

NewBean
i just completed the LS with it unplugged and then plugged in and nothing changed in the /dev folder

renatoa
Please, don't raise an eyebrow, or laugh... because already happened this for me... maybe your usb cable is charging only, no data leads ? Grin

NewBean
LOL ive done that before ! this setup was working for 2 days with connection between the 2, but not anymore..but thanks for the tip thats overlooked allot of times

NewBean
Taking the plunge, removing Artisan from the Raspberry Pi 3B+ restarting, updating system, restarting and then reinstalling Artisan! fingers crossed

NewBean
i removed the artisan program from the Pi and then restarted and loaded it back in from the zip file, and weird thing is that the screen and settings were still all there. it was like i never removed it. this is now becoming a pain in the A$$ this fun project is now frustrating

NewBean
ok yep me again, just keeping whoever is following along for the ride. removed the artisan program from the terminal side of things and was removed 100% :-) then downloaded from artisan a new copy and then installed as root this time to ensure i was not getting caught up with permission issues. BUT still the same thing.. NOTHING. cant connect to the TC4 from the raspberry pi. Just told the wife im scrapping the entire project so frustrated, she didnt look too happy about that!

greencardigan
Could you try a different USB port on the Pi?

Other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas sorry.

NewBean
Yep, tried all 3. Next step is to get a new pi, new Raspbarian and start again..

greencardigan
One more idea. Try an older version of Artisan? I'm using 1.5 or 1.61 I think.

JackH

greencardigan wrote:

One more idea. Try an older version of Artisan? I'm using 1.5 or 1.61 I think.

Hi Greencardigan!
Are you using the same version PI board as NewBean?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa

NewBean wrote:

Yep, tried all 3. Next step is to get a new pi, new Raspbarian and start again..

I would test that TC4 on a PC, using same usb cable as for raspi

NewBean
Renatoa, well good advice, i loaded the laptop with Artisan and configured it for the tc4 and NOTHING no connection regardless what setting i put.. but the TC4 is alive as im looking at it boot up and show counter/et80/bt81/ror0/htr0/fan0

NewBean
Unless I'm just not doing something correct in the setup..

NewBean
It must or has to be how I'm setting up the port. But only com3 is showing and that does nothing, but in the other tabs I have different com numbers, yep tried them too..

renatoa
Alive, but not communicating, they aren't exclusive... Grin
So let the PI alone and focus on TC4 serial port, or the cable.

Check on PC the Device Manager, Ports branch, if reacting when connecting/disconnecting TC4.

NewBean
ok i think ive figured it out ! the Arduino UNO is CRAP.. i started from the beginning of time. tried to load the Artisan_PID sketch onto the UNO and i cant connect with it. tested the main computer and still no connection NO data connection. so back to ordering new items.

NewBean
OK quick question, i Purchased this UNO but its an R3, will this work with the TC4 ? or did i screw up LOL
https://www.amazo...prod_image

GreenCardian - this is the difference BUT need to know if this will be OK with your TC4, Thanks in advance
https://startinge...fferences/

greencardigan
I think the UNO R3 is the most recent version of the Arduino UNO and is fine for the TC4.

The one you linked to is a compatible board that uses the CH340 chip to do the serial to USB connection. The official boards use an ATmega16U2 chip for the Serial to USB.

So possibly you may have a CH340 driver issue.

I also buy compatible UNO R3 boards, but I always get the ones with the ATmega16U2 chip like the official ones.

NewBean
It was the board you sent me in the package that's not working

greencardigan
Ok. But you were able to program it successfully, so the serial connection must have been working at one stage?

NewBean
Oh ya they were was working 100%

NewBean
ISSUE SOLVED!

Poblem
the Uno has "ICSP" 6 pins on the bottom ( opp side from the usb ) that point up and when i seated the TC4 on the UNO the solder points have come in contact with the 6 pins and shorted the comms out.

Solution
Ordered New UNO
cut the 6 pins from the board

installed and running perfect.

Thank you to all that helped in this issue along the way..

**ISCP
This is referred to as in-circuit serial programming (ICSP). Most Arduino and Arduino compatible boards will have a 2x3 pin ICSP header on them. Some may even have more than one depending on how many ICs live on the PCB
NewBean attached the following images:
port.png gotit1.png

Edited by NewBean on 07/19/2019 3:13 PM

Jump to Forum: