Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from Southern California
Knowledge
Hello!

I am at square one of my roasting journey and I have no idea where it will lead.

All I know is that I love coffee, I love making coffee, and I want to see if I love roasting coffee.

I love getting up before the rest of the house in the morning. I love weighing out 16g of beans, weighing out 256g of water, and hand grinding the beans. I love making sure the water temperature is just right. I love brewing coffee with the AeroPress or a pour over or a French Press (but mostly the AeroPress). I love making coffee for friends and enjoying it with them.

For a while now I've thought "why not try roasting your own?" So here I am.

I don't know exactly which direction I'll go, but I'm leaning towards a DIY roaster because it sounds like a fun project. I like projects because I can spread out the cost over time and have fun learning things along the way. I am not a fine craftsman, but I am handy enough with tools that I believe I can cobble something together that I can use in my garage, and/or wheel outside to use. I envision roasting enough for myself plus some extra to give to friends.

I chose the username Knowledge because that's what I'm after.

Thanks!

snwcmpr
Welcome.
I started with a West bend Poppery. Then I modified it to control the fan and heat.
Then I got a HotTop.
Now I have a handmade fluidbed.

I love my roasted coffee.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
Welcome
If you want more than half pound, fluid bed become difficult to build and tune.
In this range, of one pound ballpark, a turbo oven based hot air convection roaster is much easier to build and operate.
BBQ grill

snwcmpr
I roast a pound in my FB. Easily.
A guy that used to hang around here made a commercial quality FB that easily roasted 5 pounds.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
Android vs IOS Grin

jonuk vietal
hello and welcome to the club :)

Knowledge wrote:

Hello!

I am at square one of my roasting journey and I have no idea where it will lead.

All I know is that I love coffee, I love making coffee, and I want to see if I love roasting coffee.

I love getting up before the rest of the house in the morning. I love weighing out 16g of beans, weighing out 256g of water, and hand grinding the beans. I love making sure the water temperature is just right. I love brewing coffee with the AeroPress or a pour over or a French Press (but mostly the AeroPress). I love making coffee for friends and enjoying it with them.

For a while now I've thought "why not try roasting your own?" So here I am.

I don't know exactly which direction I'll go, but I'm leaning towards a DIY roaster because it sounds like a fun project. I like projects because I can spread out the cost over time and have fun learning things along the way. I am not a fine craftsman, but I am handy enough with tools that I believe I can cobble something together that I can use in my garage, and/or wheel outside to use. I envision roasting enough for myself plus some extra to give to friends.

I chose the username Knowledge because that's what I'm after.

Thanks!

Be the best you you can

Knowledge
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Jump to Forum: