Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/28/2020 11:07 AM
We continue to get shoutbox spam attacks here. Be sure to never click on any links they post. roar

10/17/2020 7:46 PM
Roasted Ethiopian Burka Guidina Estate Natural Organic from Limmu

10/07/2020 9:13 AM
Happy Mug .. Uganda Bugisu on its way.

10/05/2020 2:44 PM
yes, big thanks for getting homeroasters upgraded and cleaned up! Remember, no less than 3 wheels!

10/03/2020 9:22 AM
Thank you for all that you do!!!

Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,790
Newest Member: CoffeeEnthusiast
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
newb 1st post
AlexNC
Hi - I've been roasting a few months with a Victorio pop corn maker with results I think are great and sometimes spectacular. I was wondering if when aiming for city to city + does 1st crack completely conclude? Should I wait until the roast goes silent and there’s no popping? Sometimes I’m wondering if I’m over roasting a bit, the pops sort of change into quieter rice crispy pops without a pause between 1st and 2nd - I think I’m hitting 2nd crack sometimes by accident. Should I lower the heat a bit? If I stop while I can still hear a few 1st crack pops am I under roasting if shooting for city or city +. Watching it with an infrared I’m starting about 350 and depending on the bean hitting 1st crack in the 400 to 415 range.
renatoa
Welcome !

Do you somehow monitor beans temperature ?
If true, then for city I would try to drop beans about 2 minutes after FC start, AND... control power to have about 10 C increase during these 2 minutes.
So if FC start at 200 C, and at FC+2 minutes you have 210 C, you are good to drop for city.
Transition from city to city+ is somewhere between 215-220 C, but be prepared to drop any moment if hearing first SC sound.
If FC ends faster than 2 minutes, then you entered FC with too much temperature increase speed. The rate of rise before FC should not exceed 7 C degrees, so 193 C beans temp at FC - 1 minutes.
AlexNC
I go by sound mostly and just check with an infrared to see what I can learn and remember. It sounds like i'm getting the roast just a bit too hot.

If first crack seems to blur directly into 2nd crack I guess that just confirms I'm a little too hot. It happens occasionally, I'm being a little inconsistent experimenting and trying to judge the beans.
Jump to Forum: