Print Thread
Howdy from Georgia!
DrHenley
I've been a coffee connoisseur since trying Meru back in the 1970s, and have played around with pan roasting now and then but never really went whole hog.

I've been bemoaning the lack of what I consider good coffee for a number of years, especially after most of the good Kenyan coffee disappeared. Hell, Dunkin Donuts Original is better than anything I can get in a coffee shop here, LOL.

But while visiting my daughter up in Arlington VA, she mentioned seeing some green coffee beans in a neighborhood Ethiopian shop, so we went and bought some Yirgacheffe and played around with pan roasting it in a cast iron skillet. It only took three tries to come up with coffee that was better than 99 percent of what you can buy in a coffee shop.

OK, so I'm all geeked up about home roasting now, and the first thing I did when I got home was order some Kenyan on Amazon. Then I tried roasting it the same way I did the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I came to the realization that roasting Kenyan wet processed coffee was a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLGAME than roasting Ethiopian dry processed coffee. I've already gone through 5 pounds of Kenyan and still don't exactly have it right, but I can't ever go back to commercially roasted coffee again, LOL.

If I may indulge y'all, I'd like a ask a question. I searched the forum for an answer but could not find any relevant discussion. And I'm not sure where the proper place to ask this is, so I'm just going to ask here and beg forgiveness if I am violating proper protocol. Shock

Here goes:

The Kenyan (two different brands) have a smell, that for lack of better description, is a sort of chemical smell that was not present in the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I have also described it as a "green smell." It's noticeable in the green coffee, and still noticeable in the roasted coffee, unless I roast it to the point where there is no taste left. I have never noticed this smell before in any commercially roasted Kenyan, and since it was present in two batches from two companies, I figure it has to be something that I'm not doing right to convert that chemical completely during the roast without destroying the origin flavor of the coffee. Any suggestions?
Edited by DrHenley on 02/03/2020 12:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

JackH
Welcome to Homeroasters!

It is hard to go back to supermarket coffee once you make your own freshly roasted.

I don't know what to say about the Kenya having a chemical smell. I have roasted Kenyan and have not smelled anything bad so far.

I am no expert but I do notice a smell in some of the dry process or natural process coffee. These tend to be left drying in their pulp which leaves a smell like fermented cider to me in the green and roasted. It is also possible to roast incompletely and leave behind some sourness. The trick is to roast till the astringent, sourness goes away and the nicer (chocolate, caramel) smells start.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa
Maybe is the ferment flavor characteristic of natural processing that OP describe as chemical...
He must pay a visit to a distillery Grin

DrHenley
Got some more on order from the first supplier, which had the stronger smell. I took it to mean it was fresher. I'm going to slow down the drying phase a bit and then ramp up.

Also, I'm going to set aside some of the green beans in a one way valve bag for a period of time to see if it diminishes the smell any.

What are the chances that I'm just smelling VERY fresh coffee beans?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

indigoer
welcome cup
Famaga sells industrial equipment worldwide.

DrHenley

DrHenley wrote:

Got some more on order from the first supplier, which had the stronger smell. I took it to mean it was fresher. I'm going to slow down the drying phase a bit and then ramp up.

I had to extend the drying phase to ten minutes, keeping everything else normal for a City roast. It Worked! Still a bit tangy from being fresh out of the roaster, but I am now basking in the afterglow of the endorphin rush, LOL.

My wife said "THIS is how coffee SHOULD taste!"
Edited by DrHenley on 02/08/2020 12:03 PM

Jump to Forum: