renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Uganda
okvalle
Hi, I'm totally new to roasting, but I really would like to combine it with my travels. I have been in Uganda several times and on my last trip I even picked a handful of coffee cherries from a branch along the road. I forgot the coffee when I left but it got my mind going. Next time I'm going to Uganda I would like to meet coffee farmers and see how the marked is there. I have very good contacts there since I have a Ugandan wife. Especially in the Mbale area, located by Mt. Elgon I know people that can be helpful.

My question is about your experiences with Ugandan coffee, area, process etc. What can you tell me?

My long term aim is that I could partly finance a NGO project in East Africa, preferably Uganda but we are also thinking about Tanzania. We will probably retire in East Africa one day.

I also need to tell you about a nice experience I had in Kampala a few years ago. We used to go to this small restaurant to have some meals, and we got very friendly with the owner, a Eritrean woman. They mad a killer goat stew! One day when we arrived they started an Ethiopian coffee ceremony for us, roasting beans on a small charcoal stove inside the living room, creating the aroma of roasted coffee. Watching how they did this for us made us feel humbled because the Ethiopian coffee ceremony is very special. I quote from "How Stuff Works": "Every guest invited to a coffee ceremony has been extended the hand of friendship and welcomed into a circle that takes on familial overtones."
This was a great experience. The coffee wasn't very good, but the experience was great!

jscott14
I am not going to be able to offer you much of what you asked for, but I'm genuinely interested in learning more along with you. I understand coffees from Uganda to be quite varied (having both wet processed and naturally processed coffees). They've come a LONG way in the last decade in improving their techniques, but still have the potential to improve more.
While I'm not very educated on green buying, I listen to coffee podcasts regularly, and one of my favorite topics has to do with sustainability and ethics of green buying.
In a VERY recent April Coffee podcast with James Hoffman, he was asked about his biggest "A Ha!" moment in his coffee journey. I'll do a poor job of paraphrasing his lengthy (and well-thought) answer, but in short, his most eye-opening discovery was the endemic injustice in the green buying industry. His World Atlas of Coffee book has chapters dedicated to coffees from many of the world's great producing regions (and Uganda is in the second edition of that book). However, he said that literally EVERY chapter focusing on a different country could be sub-titled: "And how the white man exploited it for financial gain."
His insights into the true depths of the problem were interesting... but mostly sad. The injustice is rooted so deeply, it feels impossible to change. Thus, he concluded that he somewhat laments being a PART of the very industry that is unfair to its very core... yet he feels like NOT participating in the system will do nothing to help the problem. One of the biggest issues has to do with where the risk and reward lies. Almost ALL of the risk lies on the farmer. Maybe he has a good year and a good crop, maybe he doesn't. This risk is his. But the reward is the green BUYER. If the farmer's crop is bad, a buyer simply won't buy from that farmer. They buy somewhere else and still sell their coffee. Meanwhile, that farmer may or may not be able to give the coffee farm another year in hopes of a better crop.
So perhaps the "answer" to this problem is putting some of the risk on the BUYER. Perhaps a roaster finds a farmer with good techniques, good QC, and good sample batches of beans. A roaster could then, in theory, have a direct contract with that farmer for their beans at a pre-determined price (MUCH higher than C-market prices). If the year's harvest doesn't cup as well as expected, it's unfortunate for the roaster. They'll end up buying beans that aren't as good as what they thought they would be. But perhaps the beans can still work in a blend of some type. The farmer, however, still gets money for a crop that might otherwise not even break even. You see, the risk is shared between supplier and buyer. But the flipside (reward) is also true. If it's a BANNER year for the crop, the roaster is still locked into a pre-agreed price, and has exclusive access to some incredible beans!
Of course, it's more complex than simply talking to a farmer and agreeing on a price. The beans still have to be processed... they still have to be exported... there are going to be other entities involved.
I'm sorry that this is long-winded. I'm keenly interested in what you are wanting to do, and if you'd like to PM me, we can discuss this further.

jbrux4
I went to Uganda in 2008 on a solo trip - and this was pre me even being into Coffee. Well, my wife was into coffee, so I came upon some coffee from Mt. Elgon. At that time, this was the best coffee I had ever tasted. My wife was impressed as well. This was my 1st experience ever seeking and purchasing a "specialty" coffee.

Anyways, thanks for mentioning Uganda - brought back some good and some not so good memories.
R/
Jared

okvalle

jscott14 wrote:

I am not going to be able to offer you much of what you asked for, but I'm genuinely interested in learning more along with you. I understand coffees from Uganda to be quite varied (having both wet processed and naturally processed coffees). They've come a LONG way in the last decade in improving their techniques, but still have the potential to improve more.
While I'm not very educated on green buying, I listen to coffee podcasts regularly, and one of my favorite topics has to do with sustainability and ethics of green buying.
In a VERY recent April Coffee podcast with James Hoffman, he was asked about his biggest "A Ha!" moment in his coffee journey. I'll do a poor job of paraphrasing his lengthy (and well-thought) answer, but in short, his most eye-opening discovery was the endemic injustice in the green buying industry. His World Atlas of Coffee book has chapters dedicated to coffees from many of the world's great producing regions (and Uganda is in the second edition of that book). However, he said that literally EVERY chapter focusing on a different country could be sub-titled: "And how the white man exploited it for financial gain."
His insights into the true depths of the problem were interesting... but mostly sad. The injustice is rooted so deeply, it feels impossible to change. Thus, he concluded that he somewhat laments being a PART of the very industry that is unfair to its very core... yet he feels like NOT participating in the system will do nothing to help the problem. One of the biggest issues has to do with where the risk and reward lies. Almost ALL of the risk lies on the farmer. Maybe he has a good year and a good crop, maybe he doesn't. This risk is his. But the reward is the green BUYER. If the farmer's crop is bad, a buyer simply won't buy from that farmer. They buy somewhere else and still sell their coffee. Meanwhile, that farmer may or may not be able to give the coffee farm another year in hopes of a better crop.
So perhaps the "answer" to this problem is putting some of the risk on the BUYER. Perhaps a roaster finds a farmer with good techniques, good QC, and good sample batches of beans. A roaster could then, in theory, have a direct contract with that farmer for their beans at a pre-determined price (MUCH higher than C-market prices). If the year's harvest doesn't cup as well as expected, it's unfortunate for the roaster. They'll end up buying beans that aren't as good as what they thought they would be. But perhaps the beans can still work in a blend of some type. The farmer, however, still gets money for a crop that might otherwise not even break even. You see, the risk is shared between supplier and buyer. But the flipside (reward) is also true. If it's a BANNER year for the crop, the roaster is still locked into a pre-agreed price, and has exclusive access to some incredible beans!
Of course, it's more complex than simply talking to a farmer and agreeing on a price. The beans still have to be processed... they still have to be exported... there are going to be other entities involved.
I'm sorry that this is long-winded. I'm keenly interested in what you are wanting to do, and if you'd like to PM me, we can discuss this further.

Thanks for your reply. I sent you a PM

okvalle

jbrux4 wrote:

I went to Uganda in 2008 on a solo trip - and this was pre me even being into Coffee. Well, my wife was into coffee, so I came upon some coffee from Mt. Elgon. At that time, this was the best coffee I had ever tasted. My wife was impressed as well. This was my 1st experience ever seeking and purchasing a "specialty" coffee.

Anyways, thanks for mentioning Uganda - brought back some good and some not so good memories.

Thanks for your reply
I also have good and not so good memories from Uganda. In December 2019 I got sick and couldn't do much of what we had planned, but for the most there are very good memories. I love Uganda and the people. I have got so many good friends there now. Coming to Uganda feels like coming home for me now.

Jump to Forum: