Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

09/28/2020 9:48 AM
Working on site improvements, bare with me. smoking

09/28/2020 8:58 AM
Where are the old themes ?!!! Shock

09/28/2020 12:46 AM
Made some changes, shoutbox was working without verification.

09/27/2020 2:53 PM
A lot of shoutbox spam attacks lately. roar

08/28/2020 7:15 PM
I have updated my signature and added links to the KKTO roaster build

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,748
Newest Member: Ivanwrowl
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Where have all the pan roasters gone?
DrHenley
Sounds like a Peter Paul and Mary song, LOL

No activity here for years. Everyone intimidated by more "sophisticated" roasting methods or what?

Well, I'm a cast iron skillet roaster and I'm not ashamed. :)

For larger batches (8-16 oz) I actually use a dutch oven (fewer escapees LOL). For smaller batches (5-7 oz) I use a cast iron fryer pot. Gas stove on slightly higher than medium heat. The range hood handles the smoke because I replaced the fan motor with a stronger one. Usually keep a constant flame throughout, but with some coffees I ramp up for the first crack.

Seems that 8 minute drying phase and 1C at 12 minutes works best. For larger beans I need a slightly larger flame to hit that mark and vice versa.

Stir with a large whisk very briskly. Even with the higher sides of the dutch oven and frying pot I still get some escapee beans.

Cool by pouring back and forth between two wire mesh strainers outside. Chaff gets removed during this operation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.
renatoa
Perhaps migrated to the Hive Grin
JackH
They are still around. There is not too much to discuss unless you are starting out.
It is a simple process that takes some mechanical effort and gained knowledge of coffee roasting.
People seem to like over-engineering and automating things and you can't get any simpler than pan roasting.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Jump to Forum: