Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
tahoeguy and sanakashyap220, coffee drink

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 27

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,369
Newest Member: tahoeguy

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
gas grill roaster
Ripple
Hello -- My jump into roasting was something i'd been anticipating, but when the lockdowns started I figured it was a sign that my coffee dreams needed to become a reality. i'm guessing that there are a ton of people who fell into the same trap judging by the backlog or orders that sweet maria's was describing - and I'll start off by apologizing to the seasoned roasters who have put in orders for beans in the past few weeks and found that it's going to take a while for the order to arrive.

Most of the time I pour a cortada or late or pull from my nitro cold-brew in the morning. So, I'll be roasting for espresso often, with a break for cold-brew profile every month or so.

MY set-up is kinda of frankenstein, but that's how i've operated my homebrewing (beer) for over a decade with great results - and I can usually make any weird set up work for me.

I've got a variable speed rotisserie motor mounted to my propane grill with a wire basket. I use a digital air-temp probe to read out the temperature at the bast of the mesh basket. Right now I think i've got it going about 50rpms. I'll probably end up making an enclosure out of an old pot and setting up a burner and pi-controlled fan in the future, but for now the grill seems to be doing it's job.

The first 4 roasts i've done have been a learning and calibrating experience and I'm getting the hang of it. #4 came out smelling like nutty goodness and I'm excited to move to cupping.

My time on this forum will mainly be spent trying to search for answers to questions I have. Once I get into the swing, I hope to provide my own input.

Thanks for the forum and good luck with your own roasting journeys

Beefheart
welcome ripple, sounds like a neat setup for roasting! Ripple? Pagen Pink was my favorite!

BobbyS
welcome............

and that is exactly how the insanity starts out....

JackH
Welcome to Homeroasters Ripple!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

My first dive into roasting was on a grill myself. Some of the best I ever roasted came off that grill, Kings and Queens would bow before me... women would throw themselves at me for that coffee... but I could never repeat due to the large number of variables.

Finally picked up a FreshRoast SR500 and drilled a hole in the chaff collector to insert a heat probe - never looked back.

As always, the key for me is a steady ramp up to first-crack then slower ramp to second crack while NEVER dropping temp (stalling) which will kill any roast.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

Jump to Forum: