Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

05/14/2021 4:28 AM
Jun Park, happycamper, Fionakev, Welcome !

05/13/2021 1:08 AM
jspada, welcome !

05/12/2021 12:52 AM
jrccole0112, Welcome !

05/11/2021 2:53 AM
Welcome, Frisky turkey & Robb77 !

05/08/2021 6:42 PM
Quidgybo Welcome! beach

Community Spotlight
Brainiac
Posts Count:89

Halogen Radiant Roaster
Hybrid Air Roaster
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 15

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,185
Newest Member: Fionakev

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My first roaster ever - a very cheap fluid bed
rk27
Hi,

Many thanks to this community and people who share their builds.
I was about to build a roaster after I found some videos on YouTube - sifters, airguns, bread machines... and at one point I found roastuino project with RC made of french press.
So I was looking for a proper french press to buy and replicate this project, but I started to look for other glassware and found that Carafe from IKEA is better because of its reduced bottleneck.
This is how I found this forum and amazing build by CK, Linnaeus along with many others.

My attempt is not that solid though. I just wanted to build a kind of proof of concept.
And it works.
Now I need to learn how to roast in a proper way. Maybe later Iíll switch to Arduino and Artisan software.
Currently maximum capacity is 300 grams. I use 3.4 kW heating element and 1 kW air blower.

BOM is available at https://docs.goog...EZ8fc/edit
Total cost is under $100

Videos of beans load tests https://yadi.sk/d..._VcMfFNeRA
rk27 attached the following images:
e707a65f-5aff-45c8-87c2-8f75fb986088.jpeg roaster_27.jpg

Edited by JackH on 08/08/2020 2:52 PM
JackH
Nice work on the roaster!

I corrected one of your photos and turned it 90deg.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
mtbizzle
That is a neat roaster! Thank you for adding the parts list too -- some one may find it very useful. And it also helps me learn some. Unfortunately I don't think exact parts list would work in USA, due to voltage difference (120 - 220).. I wonder if there are easy swaps for U.S. voltage.
Edited by mtbizzle on 08/12/2020 7:09 PM
Roast: Kaldi wide, SR800, various other projects
Grind: Niche, Bunnzilla WIP, Commandante
Favorite equipment/approaches: Decent, La Pavoni, iced prismo aeropress (Tom's recipe), Hario switch, Hoffman-style french press
rk27
Thanks guys.

Having roasted 3-4 kilos of Burundi I decided to upgrade. The main reason was to get rid of brushed motor which plastic housing didn't smell well until I thoroughly washed it. I also don't like brushes as they require to have a filter to catch small carbon particles at the exhaust.
So, I switched to small DC18V 380W motor from a cordless vacuum. It ships with PWM controller board.
The second reason was the addition of telemetry and Artisan to track roasting process. For that I ordered TC4+ and bluetooth board. And these gave me not just telemetry but also control over the heating element and fan.

Finally, I printed new enclosure for the motor and almost ready to roast.
But then it comes understanding that profiling is not an easy thing at all.
I was initially thinking that ET probe in fluidbed roaster should sit at the heating element exit and therefore PID SV must be set to the target temperature where I want my beans to be at the end of the roasting process. Although I realize that it could introduce too much heat to the beans.
Now after looking at other builds I see that originally ET stands for environmental temp, I thought it is exhaust. In a drum roaster ET probe is actually inside the drum, and for a fluidbed roaster ET probe usually sits on top of the exit from the roasting chamber.

For BT probe in a future I'll probably try to add IR sensor like some other people did in their builds. For now I drilled small hole in my third ikea carafe
(which I also finally broke and now I don't roasting chamber...) almost the same way as CK did, unfortunately I could not source those magnets, so I stick with a bolt-and-nut approach.

Well, I'm now thinking about to use BT for PID which I don't think is right unless I start with lower SV, as for ET I'll put it on top of the carafe.
I believe it will give me more understanding of the process and some food for the future changes.
But the first thing now is to get another couple of those ikea carafes to start testing it.

Some videos of a new build available here https://yadi.sk/d/b5qg_VcMfFNeRA?w=1
rk27 attached the following images:
c7271b9d-aa15-4db0-bc06-90786cf54f3b.jpg photo5194968201455317388.jpg

Edited by rk27 on 10/19/2020 3:19 PM
rk27
well, like many other people I'm looking for a bean dump solution.
I wonder if someone ever tried to use a sink drain with lever?

it's made of brass and requires some modifications, such as replacing bung with mesh that sits on top of some sort of a shaft, also replacing all gaskets to heat resistant ones.
but still it seems to be a good fit for beans discharge.
what do you think? also worth checking if brass would be safe for this type of operation
rk27 attached the following image:
pop-up-lav-sink-drain-jaclo-839-chrome.jpg
allenb
Hi rk, give it a try, it might turn out to be a good means of dumping a fluidbed. Let us know how things turned out using BT for SV?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
renatoa
Building a FB sampler for a fellow, after many headbanging how to measure reliable temperatures in such tiny 50 grams mass of beans, we gave up, and I developed a new "PID" mode, labelled P_on_S = Proportional on setpoint (Set Value).
Other said, heater power % is driven mainly by profile set value, and a small, maximum 5%, correction from an integrative term, computed from the very aproximative measurement of the BT mixed with a lot of hot air specific to FB machines.
The formula of output power of this controller is:
HTR% = MIN_OT1 + kP * SV + Ki term

MIN_OT1 is a minimum value of power required at start to ensure the preheat of the RC to about 100 C degrees, for our machine was 24%
Kp was about 0.3, you can compute this value if you have a clue of the output power in the first crack moment.
With these values, at first crack, assumed in the 200 C degrees ballpark for set value, the output power was 24 + 0.3 * 200 = 84%.
On top of this value the integrative term could bring a correction of some percents, plus or minus.
The results were better than any other BT or ET driven method we tried so far.

If interested to try this, I can share the modified PID library.
Edited by renatoa on 04/24/2021 8:47 AM
SkipG

renatoa wrote:

Building a FB sampler for a fellow, after many headbanging how to measure reliable temperatures in such tiny 50 grams mass of beans, we gave up, and I developed a new "PID" mode, which I labelled Proportional on set value (P_on_S).
Other said, heater power % is driven mainly by set value, and a small, maximum 5%, correction from an integrative term, computed from the very aproximative measurement of a BT mixed with a lot of hot air.
The formula of output power of this controller is:
HTR% = MIN_OT1 + kP * SV + Ki term

MIN_OT1 is a minimum value of power required at start to ensure the preheat of the RC to about 100 C degrees, for our machine was 24%
Kp was about 0.3, you can compute this value if you have a clue of the output power in the first crack moment.
With these values, at first crack, in the 200 C degrees ballpark for set value, the output power was 24 + 0.3 * 200 = 84%.
On top of this value the integrative term could bring a correction of some percents, plus or minus.
The results were better than any other BT or ET driven method we tried so far.

If interested to try this, I can share the modified PID library.

I'm interested. Is the code specific for a particular PID?

--SkipG
renatoa
Is a fork of Brett PID library used in TC4
Jump to Forum: