renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My 3kg propane fluid bed roaster build
FreshCoffeeDK
Hi folks,

this is a very good and informative forum and I got a lot of inspiration here. I think it's time to share some of my things with you.
It's the simplicity of the fluid bed roasters that have drawn my interests and that you can get very good roasted coffee from it :)

First I started building a Sivetz style roaster with a homebuilt 7.5 kW 3 phase heating element. Actually it was working fi ne for one 3kg roast (15min to drop), but while trying the second round, 2 heating coils burned... I even wanted a little bit more power and decided to change to gas. Robs basic design and suggestions to use a Sievert torch was probably the safest way to go.

Here we are:

I ordered the torch 2942 and an adapter (M20x1 to 1/4") for the weird thread of the torch. As you can see, I have included the fan inside the burning chamber. This gives a compact design and I have the feeling that it also prevents this pulsing bean movement that I can see sometimes in videos.

The torch is operated from a 0-2bar valve and I did some smaller tests that indicated that it provides more than enough power for roasting.

There are two roasters on the pictures, the smaller one (300g) was thought as a sample roaster to determine proper profiles and are using a asymmetrical roast chamber. The one in the background is the 3kg with a symmetrical cone shape RC
FreshCoffeeDK attached the following images:
img_e7318_1.jpg img_e7323_2.jpg img_7309_1.jpg img_e7307_3.jpg img37306444_1.jpg

Edited by FreshCoffeeDK on 08/18/2020 2:03 PM

FreshCoffeeDK
Off topic:

picture upload is not working...? How I can attache pictures? There is only a select file button but it does not get uploaded...
Edited by FreshCoffeeDK on 08/18/2020 3:50 AM

JackH
There should be a "Browse" button at the bottom next to "Attachment".

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/postphotos.jpg

When you click, it should open a file menu on your computer so you can select which file.

Do not use the preview post or preview reply buttons, they cause some posting issues. Just "Post Reply".
Make sure your filename is simple with no special characters or spaces. (.jpg .png .gif supported)
JackH attached the following image:
postphotos.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

FreshCoffeeDK
Sorry for so many posts but there is some instability with picture upload....

I have a question. I just did my first roast with the 3kg and have noticed that my ET temperature is around 350 to up to 400 Degree Celsius! The t-probe sits 2-3cm below the air entry of the cone. My roast took around 9:30min and I dropped the beens at 208 Degree Celsius. My ROR curve looks actually okay. I started at 40 ?C/min and it was falling down to around 10 ?C/min at 8min.

There is a baffle plate between gas torch and the air entry of the cone and the roast chamber diameter is 180mm

Does others also experience such high ET temperatures?

(the attached picture is from the smaller roaster)

Stefan
FreshCoffeeDK attached the following image:
roast_small_roaster.png

Edited by FreshCoffeeDK on 08/18/2020 2:09 PM

JackH
It looks like you were successful Stefan.
Sorry about the trouble.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Brandon

FreshCoffeeDK wrote:

Hi folks,

this is a very good and informative forum and I got a lot of inspiration here. I think it's time to share some of my things with you.
It's the simplicity of the fluid bed roasters that have drawn my interests and that you can get very good roasted coffee from it :)

First I started building a Sivetz style roaster with a homebuilt 7.5 kW 3 phase heating element. Actually it was working fi ne for one 3kg roast (15min to drop), but while trying the second round, 2 heating coils burned... I even wanted a little bit more power and decided to change to gas. Robs basic design and suggestions to use a Sievert torch was probably the safest way to go.

Here we are:

I ordered the torch 2942 and an adapter (M20x1 to 1/4") for the weird thread of the torch. As you can see, I have included the fan inside the burning chamber. This gives a compact design and I have the feeling that it also prevents this pulsing bean movement that I can see sometimes in videos.

The torch is operated from a 0-2bar valve and I did some smaller tests that indicated that it provides more than enough power for roasting.

There are two roasters on the pictures, the smaller one (300g) was thought as a sample roaster to determine proper profiles and are using a asymmetrical roast chamber. The one in the background is the 3kg with a symmetrical cone shape RC

Looks good! I'm working on a similar design and planning the gas line set up. Do you have a link for the torch adapter. I have been looking, but haven't been successful yet. Thanks!

jkoll42

Brandon wrote:

FreshCoffeeDK wrote:

Hi folks,

Here we are:

Looks good! I'm working on a similar design and planning the gas line set up. Do you have a link for the torch adapter. I have been looking, but haven't been successful yet. Thanks!

Brandon - contact Sievert directly and they will sell direct within the USA. Becki used to be the customer service contact but not sure if she is still there.

SIEVERT INDUSTRIES, INC.
5255 Zenith Parkway
Loves Park, IL 61111
T. 1-815-639-1319

Master Parts/Suppliers List:
https://homeroast...ad_id=2560
Edited by jkoll42 on 11/18/2020 6:54 AM
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jkoll42

FreshCoffeeDK wrote:

I have a question. I just did my first roast with the 3kg and have noticed that my ET temperature is around 350 to up to 400 Degree Celsius! The t-probe sits 2-3cm below the air entry of the cone. My roast took around 9:30min and I dropped the beens at 208 Degree Celsius. My ROR curve looks actually okay. I started at 40 ?C/min and it was falling down to around 10 ?C/min at 8min.

There is a baffle plate between gas torch and the air entry of the cone and the roast chamber diameter is 180mm

Stefan

The ET really isn't extremely high. It could indicate that your fan speed is a bit high and you are getting a lot of heated air blowing through and not transferring to the beans but your BT curve looks good.

How do the beans look? Any scorching/tipping/quakers/craters?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

pisanoal

FreshCoffeeDK wrote:

Stefan

I built a roaster of this size with a very similar design. I had the exact same ET issues (many others have as well). I played with the perf plate design for HOURS (like 40 combined), thinking that had something to do with it. I had a baffle for the incoming cold air to try to provide mixing, but nothing after the burner. Ultimately, I ended up installing two baffles above the burner to thoroughly mix the air and that solved the problem immediately.

I know you said you have a baffle between the torch and roast chamber, but you may want to consider adding either another baffle, or some other sort of air mixer. Also, check your thermocouple for accuracy.... You could be chasing a ghost.

Jump to Forum: